sunnydee123

SIT TO STAND....

Any suggestions on best way to practice this next step. I have gotten pretty good with my sit but if I need to pick up some speed, cause am jumping with lots of speedy headdown folks, guessing for me best thing to do would be to pop into stand. Feet together, feet apart, arm position? Any tips would be mucho appreciated!

THIS IS SO EXCITING!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

I tend to fly a stand with my feet just slightly apart, my arms don't really move, they might move forward just a bit from the sit postion.

Your best way to practice the next step is to really just go do it. I think you'll find this a fairly easy thing to learn, since you have the sit-fly thing going good.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

So maybe when I am playing with new pals, I'll just try it. Just pop those feet down and see what happens. And then someone will be there to tell me what I need to do different when I flail all over - for the first few jumps. Took me 6 jumps to feel the sit....

think of your body in a "T" position the faster stand you need from there you can go more to a "Y" position. you will prob feel a little more squishy when you try it at first but it will get easier the more you do it..
-yoshi

getting in to a stand from a sit is not that hard...just go out and do it, the wind pressure on your feet should help you a lot

just be sure to have proper upper body position if not you might find your self doing flips

after you get the hang out it start flying with your legs wider and without your arms...really hard...also work your pelvis for movement...forward, backwards, side slides

flying a basic sit or stand is not that hard what is hard is getting really proficient at it

learn to fly in 3d

if your flying with HDers you can also try decreasing the size of your sit..bring your legs in tight together...there are a couple of little floaty girls i jump with who pretty much have to fly this way all the time...be aware this is less stable as well..

stand tranistions are pretty easy..go out and do some drill dives..transition to a stand and work on 360's solo.. for 2 ways you can work on forward and backwards motion...its mostly in the hips...

"hanging ten" gives you some serious forward drive and is a fun way to flock

Hi! Good job, on your sit and your enthusiasm!

It's easier to push into a stand if you're pretty certain that you are falling straight down. If you're backsliding (generally forward motion is much harder to do unintentionally) - your hips are most likely behind your shoulders, ie., your torso is not truly vertical. I only mention it because you'll need to push your hips forward and straigten your legs to stand. If you're not familiar with what true vertical feels like - you'll most likely cork. (you will anyway, but you'll spend alot of time trying to figure out why).

Also, try it on solos (or with one other person). Corking is inevitable and could be dangerous with too many people around - especially if you hold it long enough to pick up extra speed.

Finally, practice pulling quickly into a little ball - as your transition from stand (and cork!) back to sit. That will help to keep up your speed and to keep you relative.

Good luck.

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

Thanks for all the tips - gonna just go try it this weekend and see how it goes. I'm pretty patient (ok - so I'm not really patient) but I am in no rush either. Have lots of time to figure this all out and lots of new pals willing to help.

And I am liking all this talk about pelvis and hip movement....hubba hubba!

I'll let ya know how it goes....and ask for more suggestions I'm sure.

Just do it! :)
If you can sit, then you are halfway there... a slightly wider stance will give you more control, but you will have to work your legs more to maintain this position.

And that recovery position is CRITICAL! You can't be corking out once you start jumping with others, as I'm sure you know by now.

Good luck!

Thanks again...let me recap:

*smaller sit will speed me up
*for stand have arms in T to start
*pelvis must go out when legs down to stand
*if I pop then get small so not to lose speed

Think I have enough tips to at least attempt it.

ooooo....I'm so excited to try - almost wet my pants!

You got it girl.

Except for 'smaller sit will speed me up'. Bringing your legs/feet together will make you less stable and will increase the surface size of your body presented to relative wind. My guess is, if it is making anyone speedier, they are pulling their lower bodies into a ball and using their arms to hold them upright.

Your arms are for balance and directional motion - not to compensate for wonky torso or leg position.

Make sure your torso is vertical and then slowly begin to push your hips forward as you extend your feet. Keep your head high, hips under your shoulders and knees and feet wide. Even small movements will increase your vertical speed. (But remember, it will also cause you to move forward or back if you're not vertical.)

:)

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

Yo sunnydee,

Something to get ya going is to go out and do lots of spins and flips and other freestyley moves. Get used to being out of control. Cuz it doesn't take much time to control that stuff if ya just do it.

Sit is just a position. You can either Be in it, of you can fly it. That goes for head down or any other pose you can think of.

Since you can sit already. Just put your feet under you and stand on the air like you mean it. Squash it! For now, put your feet together when you do it. When your feet are together you are affectively flying on one surface. If they are appart, you have 2 to deal with... a few dives later, put em apart some.

Now if you happen to start falling over when you stand, don't fight it. Use the energy and just flip all the way over.

Once you start to figure out the stand, do some turns both directions, flips front and back, and walk in place and stuff like that. get creative.

When you first learn to stand, and you're jumping with someone, don't be surprised at how fast they backslide away from you ... cuz it's very likely you :)
Big thing Just stand on the air like you mean it. Push it down below you. If you flail just go with it.

oh... and consciously breathe.

Hope that helps.
-
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

bend in the elbows?....

arms to my side, palms down........hands slightly infront of me kind of bend

or

arms out, forearms sort raised kinda bend

Sorry if silly question but I am sitting at my desk with my arms out trying to figure out what you mean - my office staff think I am nuts - but they do anyway since I started jumping out of perfectly good planes.

There loss...I come into work smiling after the weekend - they don't!

This one...

>arms to my side, palms down........hands slightly in front of me kind of bend

Don't worry if they end up behind you. just work on being able to see your thumbs.

Edit: >but I am sitting at my desk with my arms out trying to figure out what you mean - my office staff think I am nuts - but they do anyway since I started jumping out of perfectly good planes.

NICE!!! I still track around, and turn corners, stop and go as if I'm on my head. Visualization Baby.. It's key!!!

(another edit: I do that when I'm on the ground, in the office what ever ...:P )

I think that this picture of Dave Brown shows perfect sit position...
I got it off of the freefly training center website...
My suggestion is to look at as many pictures and as much footage as you can. you'll learn more from watching, studying, and jumping, than you will in the forums, you know?
Try to figure out what the air feels like when it passes around you.

Vertical-vacation.jpg

That's one position. It looks like he's holding a static position as a base.

It's a good position but as wide as the stance is, it's inherently unstable so keep that in mind. It's very maneauverable because of that reason.

Welp, I gotta run, the Niece is Graduating 8th grade and I'm off to go watch.

C-ya
Tim

Sunny it sounds like everyone has good advice so just one thing to keep in mind while learning to stand especially when you are going to be jumping with other freeflyers. You will most likely experience some unstablness on your first few dives so be prepared for it and make sure you are always able to cork into a stable freeflying position to keep your speed up.

Have fun,
Paul

Before going to a stand you should be able to do the following.
hold heading. move forward ,backward, side to side, turn 360 right, 360 left. Once you can do all of those with proficiency, then move on to the stand.
Everyone should learn to walk before they run.
The same criteria applies to the stand before going to head down orientation.

Well perhaps I should skip trying to stand right now and get someone to help me with all the other stuff. This is what I can say I have a handle on:

Falling straight - check
Maintaining heading - check
360's/stop - check

Need to work on forward and backward movement and picking up speed if I need be (adjusting sit).....

OK - baby steps , now if I could just find one person who would be willing to devote all there jump time to me so we could work together. Where is my Greg when I need him.....RRRrrrrr!

Thanks for the bazillionth time - I got the idea. baby steps and BREATHE!