gus

Compulsory Basic Training at Empuria

As of March 1st 2002, the CPCB are introducing a form of Freefly licence called Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) It will be necessary for Freeflyers of all levels to have some form of licence if they want to jump with anybody other than an instructor. CBT has been set up according to the French B4 licence and it also has similarity to the British FF1 & FF2.

What are they actually like about letting you freefly? If I turned up with an FF1 and 300 FF jumps would they just let me get on with it? Paying for a check-out jump seems like a bit of a rip-off.....

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I got the impression from a friend who recently went, they are pretty "safety concious", for want of a better word.

with FF1 dont expect to get on a 8 way headdown dive, but im sure you can do smaller stuff with other suitably qualified jumpers.

I think a high number of AFF grads wanted to jump (exuse pun) straight into freeflying after consoles, so they wanted some method of controling who could do what.

Ask the instructors there, mr.meacock will be your best bet, about if you even need a checkout jump.

Dont forget you cypress!!:S

if the requirements are the same as the french B4, it's nothing huge:

head up: stable, adjust fall rate, turns on every axis (turns, loops, barrel), controled forward and backward movements

head down: stable with no incidence (no movement)

btw, what's the british FF1 and FF2 requirements ?

charging a test jump for those having the B4 or FF1 would look like a rip of, agreed.

I reckon the french B4 is a good idea: all freeflying newbies have to get in the hands of a federal freefly jumpmaster and therefore get the basic safety stuff specific to freefly, kinda freefly aff :P

alain

I wanted to freefly there, but I can only do head-up as of yet. I asked them about it, I was allowed on like 2 way head-up dives with another jumper (not necessarily a coach). Which was absolutely fine with me as that was what I wanted/felt comfortable with.
Didn´t bring any video (haven´t really got much and also plain forgot), but I didn´t need the (expensive) checkout jump either. Good enough for me.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

btw, what's the british FF1 and FF2 requirements ?

direct from the BPA Ops Manual......

FF1
a) Fly in a controlled sit/stand position.
b) Control fall rate in a sit/stand position.
c) Control forward and backward movement in a sit/stand position.
d) Control turns in both directions in a sit/stand position.
e) Fly relative to others in a sit/stand position.

FF2
a) Fly in a controlled head down position.
b) Control fall rate in a head down position.
c) Control turns in both directions in a head down position.
d) Fly relative to others in a head down position.
e) Display independent body movement in a head down position, e.g. hand claps.

and you must be about Cat 9 flat flying before you can start being trained to freefly

Jules

other than the stereotypical european need(j);) to regulate and control the individual is there any real reason for this?

have there been a number of freefly incidents that i havent heard of? some of the FFers at eloy who just returned from there were rather amazed at this level of control, particularly since potentially more dangerous things like landing patterns and pull altitudes were not being looked at...

local skygods causally swooping running planes and spectators was mentioned as an example..

caveat that i was not there this is what i was told and why i am asking..

**other than the stereotypical european need(j) to regulate and control the individual is there any real reason for this? **
The went through a period of fatalities near misses, loss of altitude awareness etc, after skydivers were saying their level was this and they could do that, more than forced this to become the norm.

i've been to Ampuria in 2001 and it amazed me that such an important DZ failed in some basic safety issues like all those Zenister mentioned. They even forgot sometimes to make sure that everyone landed ok, in fact there was an accident that wasn't noticed until a couple of hours later, when it was already dark.

Maybe it's different now, I hope it is. Because it makes no sense in having a freefly license or ADD restrictions while the other issues are still unattended.

Blue skies for everyone!

OK well I jump here reguraly they did 120,000 jumps this year. And from one guy who died called me a pussy for not going head down with bhim and hje died in a mid air collision. I have to admit somepeople have toi be regulated so as they can licve lonbger and I think the babylon boys are doing a great job about. remember to use the rules as a tool and not a hinderance

Cya Allan

Saskia> ... I can only do head-up ... I was allowed on like 2 way head-up dives with another jumper (not necessarily a coach)

yep, the same rule applies in France for a couple of years...

Jules> FF1 & FF2 requirements

thanks for input :-)

Allan> remember to use the rules as a tool and not a hinderance ...

very true...

AL1

I just wanted to remark that safety is about every single aspect of our sport, not only freefall, and they failed big time at some other safety issues a couple of years ago, like it was said in other posts.

Anyway, though I know the regulations have been created as a tool and not a hinderance, I think sometimes it's not easy to see the border between them. But definitely it's better not to have people killing themselves or others, and this may help prevent it.

Blue skies,
astroboy