coho21

Tracking Dives How do you?

Get down to someone backtracking below you?

I went on two this weekend and both times I was there horizontally but they were falling away from me like a rock. I tried everything I know. Arms way backup beside and behind me, arched like crazy, and spilling air just about everywhere I could.

One person I talked to said to go into a dive to try and get down but I don't really know how to do that. Tried this once and felt like it worked only to flip right out of it.

Any suggestions?
J
YSD#0009

One person I talked to said to go into a dive to try and get down but I don't really know how to do that. Tried this once and felt like it worked only to flip right out of it.

Any suggestions?

Practice, practice, practice...

***Try wrapping your arms around the side of your rig and arching hard. Or.......learn to fly head down or even dive like going to a big belly formation.

What clay said...

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

comming to Eloy?
we'll have to play..i'm a really floaty bastage in a track when i want to be...and i LOVE tracking dives..

as for diving in..youve got to aim for where the leader is going not where they are..always think forward and adjust your angle to meet them at a point ahead.

if you think about just sinking you'll likely go low and fall behind..:(

Sounds to me like you are staying in a track which is why your are floating. And whoever is leading the track dive is not moving a whole lot horizontally but rather vertically. So what I do is put my legs on my butt and bring my arms back. Let me know how this works.

Oh how big are these track dives? And are you the only one on the dive who can't keep up?

"Insurance should called In case shit happens, if shit don't happen shouldn't I get my money back?"

could also be that the track leader is bending at the waist too much, making it so they're going more down than across...in which case they're making it harder for you than they have to. I always thought it was the leader's job to try and make it so everyone can get in on the jump.
But then, it's also a challenge to see how the hell you can still fly with them, which can be really fun : )
"Spread your legs and fly"

Well the first dive was pretty big 10 or so people. The second one was smaller 4-way but the leader was in as steep dive rather than a back track. The big one was just a pain to get down to. It looked like everyone was a little floaty.[:/]

J
YSD#0009

Whoa!! That article is great!!

Yes it sure is, BPA's "Skydive the MAG" is a excellent magazine full of outstanding educational articles such as this one. IMO it is by far the best source for quality ED articles than any other skydiving publication. If your getting into freeflying check out the sitflying article links that I posted here on the "student sitflying pics" post. Lets not forget Headdown articles...
http://www.zct.co.uk/skydivemag/pages/articles/apr98/headdown.htm

Heres the Sitflying articles...http://www.zct.co.uk/skydivemag/pages/articles/aug00/headupflying.htm eWave, check out this article and the other two (2) articles that go with it. Very informative for your developing your freefly skills. http://www.zct.co.uk/skydivemag/pages/articles/oct00/headupflying2.htm
http://www.zct.co.uk/skydivemag/pages/articles/dec00/headup3.htm

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

My issue is when i back track i float so bad no one can play with me any more. I was leading the exit and no one could float with me all weekend.

come back to texas sometime and i'll track with ya. 77mph on the pro-track the last time i tracked with one.

levin
vSCS#3

My protack shows a first half average of 107 for back tracking. I have started using my camera suit to back track recently and was showing a first half speed of 101 but I'm unstable and falling off the track like crazy for now.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

My protack shows a first half average of 107 for back tracking. I have started using my camera suit to back track recently and was showing a first half speed of 101

i might have to arch a bit but i'm sure i can keep up :D

but I'm unstable and falling off the track like crazy for now.

here's something that helped me alot. on a solo while your back tracking watch the horizon in which your headed as if your headdown. in addition to giving me a headding it helped me relax since the visual looked more familiar than looking down my feet. and looking at the horizon took my mind off of trying to make visual corrections to my body position so i was able to get a better feel of what i was doing. the natural arch that looking at the horizon gives you might give you a good idea of the kind of arch you may need while backtracking.

levin
vSCS#3

I would avoid "diving" down to a tracking dive. I've seen this happen a few times with a few close calls. Someone's high on the group, so they increase their downward pitch and come screaming towards the group. No one below you can see you coming, since a few of them are likely to be on their bellies watching the leader. You may not flare out in time and come cruising through a group of unsuspecting trackers. That' bad. I've seen a few collisions this way, luckily they weren't too hard. The best method I've used to get down with the group is to put your hands on your BOC and arch while keeping the legs out for forward drive. Granted, you'll lose a little horizontal ground... but it'll be safer and easier to stop. Myself and most of the people I know that can lead track dives, get a little nervous when people start dive-bombing the group.
Oh, hello again!

It sounds to me like the track leader was doing a very shitty job of leading in a backtrack. If the flock is basically belly flying, with no "real" tracking lift going on, then what's the point. Get somebody with some length to them (as well as some tracking skills) to lead the pack. A pretty freefly suit and a $1500 camera does not a tracker make.

Chuck
one flat-tracking sonofabitch