SkydiveMonkey

Sit exit from a 182

I have gone into a sit from a Cesna by standing on the step facing forward. simply let go of the strut and right into a sit. It has worked well for me. I have a few video exits like this and it does work. Good luck and have fun!

Think Golf. Seriously. When I sit exit from our 182 I use a modified golf stance.

Bend knees as near to 90 deg. as needed to stand on the step facing the tail. With a bit of practice you will find a point where you can balance on the step leaning backwards into the prop blast without any grips. I position myself 'hugging' a 3 foot diameter tree (or whatever) - sometimes my right hand grips the rear of the door frame for stability.

A gentle 'hop' off the step and a conscious de-arching at the waist gives a nice stable sit. A flat torso (leaning back as you exit) will bring you into inverted flight. Both are cool. I learned the back layout when I started getting lazy at my de-archB|.

...de-arched on a delta and found the closest thing to headdown I've seen yet!

...It's no wonder they emphasize arching during progression :P

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Left hand on strut, right hand on door frame (right side). Left foot on the step (toes out or facing the tail), ritght foot still in the plane... get out facing the tail.

From here, you can either 'fall off' with a slightly forward lean to get your butt into the relative wind (not extremely important in cessna but still good practice) or you can lean slightly back and ride the slide.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Left hand on strut, right hand on door frame (right side). Left foot on the step (toes out or facing the tail), ritght foot still in the plane... get out facing the tail.

We call it "ride the slide" ... just step off, lean back a little, and the relative wind on your back will push you right into your sit!

I've found a couple of ways to exit our 182. The best one, like many have said is to stand on the step facing the tail and jump out and go right into your sit. For group sits that you want to fly, have one person on the step and the other hanging backwards on the strut, just make sure the guy on the strut leaves a split second after the one off the step to keep relative off the exit. The other way to do it is almost like a flower exit off the step. Have one guy facing into the plane and the other looking at the wing tip. Have a arm hold, but when you exit, roll it off, just like a horny gorilla, but don't lock legs. When you feel your body coming back up, stick out your arms. A good way to practice getting stable after exiting from different positions is to go out and from a sit, do a back flip and on the rotation, try to stick yourself back in the sit. Do the same with other positions. Once you get that nailed, you can exit in a spinning head down and transition directly into a sit (my fav ;))

it's best to stay small when your on the strut because you will end up on your back if your more stretched out. as people have said, left hand on strut, right on door frame. be in the crouched position do your count then when you leave it is best to keep your knees near your stomach until you feel youve lost enough forward motion to put them down. during this time make sure your arms are extended behind you so you won't rock backwards. don't be stiff though. visual imagery never hurt anybody either.
[just because you've flipped through your risers dosen't mean you were too low]

what's the best way to do this? Every exit I've tried on the ground could wind up with hitting my hands on the step which could be bad for stabily ;)

Get to the strut. Work your way out to the leading edge of the wing. Hand over hand out toward the wingtip a bit, peace to the pilot and let go. then you're in a sit. It's that easy. You *might* want to ask the pilot before doing this though...