ojf1982

Freefly pants or suit?

I am just beginning to actually get somewhat good in my sit and stand. As I eventually want to learn headdown, should i just get freefly pants or go for the whole suit? For the moment, I am using sweat pants and a long sleeve shirt until i can raise enough money for a suit or pants.
Omar B-24801

Go for tight pants - less drag

Not if you want to learn head down. In fact you want just the opposite.... baggy pants tight top.
I did the same thing... sweats & sweatshirts (actually, Army surplus fatigues works great for pants) until I could scrape up enough money for a suit.
But if you can swing it, a suit makes a *huge* difference. Especially when you're still learning (like me). The balance is just better and sits, stands & headdowns require much less effort. You might try to pick up a used one if someone is close to your size.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

Dont missunderstand - I ment that it is easier to move around faster, but yes, you may get more unstabile, so you learn it the hard way and you reale learn to get stabile without the help of drag. Here in the north ( I jump in norway-sweden-spain and portugal ) we had the baggy style in 2000, now it tends more to the tight style, even with grips and spandax - but at the end it is a personal choise what you are comfortable with, as long as you get your coal you are ok....Yes maybe Matter is smal sized, but it is made euro size (petit) so give measure.

I Dont agree - it is much harder to learn in real baggy suits - coz you are battling not just against being stable but the hefty drag aswell - the advantage of learning in real baggy suits is that once you crack it you will have a much large range of speed and be able to fly in baggy or non baggy - whereas learn in a tight suit you aint gonna be flying a real baggy suit easily and you dont have the Xtreme range of speed.............
just my 2 pieces of 8
bsbd

"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

Since you said that you are beginning to get good in your sit and stand, I say order a "loose" fitting freefly suit. By the time it comes, you will be even better and ready to practice sitting in your new suit. Then once you have mastered this, play with head down. The goal is to be able to sit in the same suit that you can fly head-down in. Too many flyers skip over mastering the sit or stand, and go right to the more glamorous head-down. You must learn to crawl before you can walk!
-Rap

Dont missunderstand - I ment that it is easier to move around faster, but yes, you may get more unstabile, so you learn it the hard way and you reale learn to get stabile without the help of drag.

Exactly, SUITS ARE FOR SPEED CONTROL, not for help learning. Learn to freefly naked, and then get a suit to match your fall rate to your skinnier/fatter buddies. If you use pants/baggy shirt as a crutch a) you learn less, and b) how will you learn transitions properly if you've got all bag on legs and no shirt, or vice-versa. Just my humble opinion. This from a guy who started "freeflying" on his 20th jump because the guy in "Dropzone" looked so cool corkscrewing through that industrial haze.
Mike
Sky World

Learn to freefly naked, and then get a suit to match your fall rate to your skinnier/fatter buddies. If you use pants/baggy shirt as a crutch a) you learn less, and b) how will you learn transitions properly if you've got all bag on legs and no shirt, or vice-versa. Just my humble opinion.

Well there are levels of "crutchness". ;) I got the advice from other freefliers, Espen's website and they all recommended the same thing... when first learning, wear loose pants, tight shirt for HD, loose shirt, tight pants (or shorts) for sit.
I wouldn't recommend a sit-suit because that's too much of a crutch, but distributing drag with regular clothes to learn basic technique worked for me. I'd recommend wearing something loose enough that you have to work a little -- not so tight that you're flailing for scores of jumps and not so loose that you're just sort of hanging there under the clothes.
I think learning in a FF suit makes sense, since that's what you're going to be flying in anyway. The only reason I can think of for holding off on a suit would be to wait until you figure out how fast you fall and then order a suit to match up your rate with everyone else.
As far as wearing tight clothes go, I view that as more of a way of drilling in good technique *after* you have the fundamentals. If you do that learning, unless you have a coach by your side all the time you're just going to flail, get frustrated and not really learn.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."