tosca

comfortable rig for women

The most comfortable rig is the one that fits you the best. Contrary to what the manufactures would have you believe, there is no one "most comfortable" planform out there. Different people not only come in different sizes, but they have different expectations of what constitutes comfort.

Find a jumper roughly your size, ask her if she thinks her rig is comfortable and why. Ask her to try on the rig. note what you like and do not like.

repeat.

I've found through the years and more rigs than i care to think about that if the container is properly sized for the canopies I've chosen and the harness is properly sized for me, then the rig is pretty darned comfortable.

One newer option that really (for me) increased the comfort level was the in cut lateral, originaly found on the Sunpath Javelin Odyssey but now found as an option on many containers. Another was the advent of hip rings, now found as an option on every container.

Try before you buy. And, if possible, fly before you buy and enjoy the experience. Retail therapy at it's finest!

blues
kate

I have never tried a comfortable rig. :(
Which is the most comfortable rig for women?

I love my Atom, I have an Atom 00 (smallish rig). Also the smaller Javelins fit me well but they're a bit too small (max 120 sqft main).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I jump a Mirage G4, and I find it extremely comfortable. It doesn't hang down past my butt and fits into the small of my back which makes it pretty darn comfortable.

I agree, of all the rigs I have tried on the ones that were short fit the best, combined with a proper fitting harness with rings = comfort.

Manufacturers I think of off the top of my head that you can get that combo are Mirage and Wings.
Fly it like you stole it!

Yup, try a bunch. One thing to think about is that with the smaller body size, having a rig that's not as tight as a brick will make a huge difference. The most comfortable rig I ever had was one with a (safely) loose main and reserve -- that rig just molded itself to me, and bent with me.

Next time I get custom gear (my current gear isn't), I'll make sure and not get it super tight again. Well worth it.

That said, if you're at all busty, you're very likely going to find it more comfortable with a chest strap that is a little lower, so it goes under your breasts. I'm not particularly busty, but I like it that way a whole lot better.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

a low chest strap sounds comfortable, but when i talked to some manufacturs they talked about the risk of falling out of a harness with too low chest straps. and there must be space for my cut away handles... hmm i have no idea how a comfortable and safe rig should look like.
one advise was to get a rig with a regular chest strap below the chest, and a loose support strap above the breasts, just to stop me not falling out of my rig. anyone tried that?

I agree with Kate on this one. Rigs and women are all shaped different. Try many and find one that you like.

That said, I like my Odyssey. They've come out with a new model this year too that has a lower yoke in the back so you can't feel it at all with a helmut on when you arch. Very comfie!B|

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

I've had lower chest straps than I have now. It's never been an issue for me, and I have probably 600 jumps with low chest straps. There are people with a lot more than that, too.

With a properly-fitting narrow yoke, you'd have to work really hard to have a harness come even close to falling off. For inadvertent head-down deploys it might be an issue, I guess -- but then any harness but a really properly-fitting one would be an issue.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

a low chest strap sounds comfortable, but when i talked to some manufacturs they talked about the risk of falling out of a harness with too low chest straps. and there must be space for my cut away handles... hmm i have no idea how a comfortable and safe rig should look like.
one advise was to get a rig with a regular chest strap below the chest, and a loose support strap above the breasts, just to stop me not falling out of my rig. anyone tried that?

There is a girl on here (I think Amazon) who infinity made a special rig for, with more a belly band and the handles were above the chest strap/belly band. You may want to PM her about that configuration, personally since I have almost no boobs with a sports bra on the chest strap placement has never been an issue for me.
Fly it like you stole it!

I definitely prefer Racers. The big difference is that they're long and skinny rather than short and squat. Most of the other rigs don't bend in the middle like Racers, and with my short torso, that means they just dig into my back and I find them quite uncomfortable.

W

I think Kate said it best - you have to find what works for you. That being said, here is my 2 cents on what I own and love:

I am a short (5'3), 'stocky' person and i absolutely totally love my Voodoo 3 (holds a 150/150). It totally curves to my body, and sits in the small of my back very comfortably. Also becuase I am so short in the body, my harness is very short, and RI makes small cutaway and reserve handles that A: fit the harness better and B: fit my hands better. And the twisted leg straps are simply the most comfy thing I have ever flown in!

On a side note - I have a low chest strap (sits below my boobs!) I feel absolutely safe and comfortable in my rig at all times.

Good luck - I found out about my Voodoo by trying on someone else's rig - so hopefully you have the same opportunity!
Cheers!
Ned
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I've got a Wings and love the fit of it. But, I agree with Kate...try out various rigs and see what works for you. Good luck in your search.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

When I started jumping again in March I went looking IMMEDIATELY for something that would be comfortable for me. The student rigs they had were the most frustrating things I had ever worn. I settled on an Infinity due to the proximity of the place of manufacture. Velocity Sports is located at Kapowsin here in Washington. Kelly Farrington was and has been exceedingly helpful with the sizing issues I have. I am very tall and fairly busty so a chest strap that fits on top of my breasts is just NOT an option I will choose. Kelly was nice enough to fit the chest strap under my bustline and the rig is very very comfortable with the articulated harness.
I have been doing quite a bit of freeflying and speed skydiving so the safety of the harness and container is important to me. The under the bust placement of the chest strap/belly band is very important when facing the earth at 245 MPH. At first it seemed the rig was coming off my shoulders but when we changed the placement of the chest strap just a bit higher....all is now well, and the webbing on the shoulders stays in place.
Whatever harness you do choose get one from a manufacturer that will work with you on something that fits you... and will make the necessary changes to make a satisfied customer.

Amazon