Vertifly

Anybody know much about tye-dying?

Need help here. I have a really great flying Tony Suit. But I can't stand the color anymore. It is like a denim-colored suit and is quite corny looking.

I have managed to bleach it a shade lighter. I am planning on bleaching it one more time and using a color remover to make it even lighter. By the time I am done, it will probably be a baby blue.

I would like to tye-dye the suit after it gets light.

Can you give me any tye-dye ideas? What is the best way to go about tye-dying? Liquid or Powder? Twisting, Crumpling, or any other way? Please feel free to email me with your answers too; be glad to call and talk about it.

Thanks ahead. :)

when tye dying i find liquid dyes work best...but what you need is an eye dropper and maybe 3 colors....grab the material, bunch some up and wrap elastics around it...if it's a cotton suit you should soak it in water for 20 minutes to "loosen" the fibers so the dye stays in better...then take the eye dropper or syringe, fill it with dye and SLOWLY drip it around the areas that have elastics..not to many colors or it'll turn brown.
then when you're done dying put it in a garbage bag for a day and take it out and hang it to dry.
at least that's what we did in chem class for tye dyign and it worked GREAT!

be careful with the bleach, if your using it strong enough to fade the colors significantly your likely also weakening the fabric..which may become interesting during a high speed HD dive....

better hope theres video, no one will believe you just "lost" your suit in freefall;)

That would be funny. I start out doing a tracking dive on my back, and before you know it, all the lady-flyers are tracking up front - hard-corps! ... and the guys are tacking in another direction.

:$ CAUSE I AM NAKED!!! :$

On a more serious note, thanks for the tip, I plan on using the RIT color removal - for use of lightening colors before dying. Got it from Michael's Arts and Crafts.

If it's a product with a high, or totaly totally (nylon) thread count, then you will have to let it sit in the dye for a while (like an hour or more). Also if it is high in nylon I hope there is very little bleach in whatever you are using as it will destroy the strength of the suit quickly. Good luck!

Oh yeah, if you do ruin the suit, PM. I know this company that makes really Bomber Suit!s
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Dharma Trading Company is the only way to go.
It is a chemical reaction, so follow the instruction to a T, don't let the dyes sit around very long when you make them, and try as best you can to maintain the right temperatures. As for cool designs, LOTS OF LITTLE FOLDS! the more folds you have the cooler the pattern will look. And LOTS OF DYE. Make sure the dye gets down in the cracks, most virgin tie-dyers end up with way more white then they intended.

I'd recommend the Teeny Tiny Tie Dye kit from Dharma.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

I agree. Dharma Trading is the only place to get tie die shite. Use Procion MX cold water fiber reactive dyes. They are very good with cotton, and good to varying degrees w/other stuff. These are the dyes that you see making all the bright colors you see in the head shops etc...