skydiveoc

Intel Sandy Bridge

Sandy Bridge is the next generation of intel processors. The current line (i3-i5-i7 some of the xenon etc) were code named Nehalem and based on 45nm architecture. Sandy Bridge will be based on 32nm and might be announced officially this week.

edited for type-o

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9202961/Intel_s_upcoming_Core_chips_to_secure_streaming_movies?taxonomyId=142

This alone will result in many skydivers running away from that chip. (Short version of story for those with ADD: new chip will include DRM-like system that will prevent streaming movies from being copied.)

That aspect alone would make me buy AMD, not Intel. Not that I copy movies, but I don't like my toys being hobbled. (And yes, I realize it will be 3 days before somebody comes up with a software solution that side steps it, but...)
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9202961/Intel_s_upcoming_Core_chips_to_secure_streaming_movies?taxonomyId=142

This alone will result in many skydivers running away from that chip. (Short version of story for those with ADD: new chip will include DRM-like system that will prevent streaming movies from being copied.)

That aspect alone would make me buy AMD, not Intel. Not that I copy movies, but I don't like my toys being hobbled. (And yes, I realize it will be 3 days before somebody comes up with a software solution that side steps it, but...)

AMD is doing the same thing....FWIW.
Get used to it, DRM is here to stay, with more and more hardware/software options being opened up.
Go to iTunes or Amazon.com and you'll note that all of a sudden, songs are meta-tagged now too.
"Record Company Required Metadata

The record company that supplies this song or album requires all companies that sell its downloadable music to include identifiers with the downloads. Embedded in the metadata of each purchased MP3 from this record company are a random number Amazon assigns to your order, the Amazon store name, the purchase date and time, codes that identify the album and song (the UPC and ISRC), Amazon's digital signature, and an identifier that can be used to determine whether the audio has been modified. In addition, Amazon inserts the first part of the email address associated with your Amazon.com account, so that you know these files are unique to you. Songs that include these identifiers are marked on their product detail page on Amazon.com. These identifiers do not affect the playback experience in any way."

Someone has to be "first." Intel chose to be that.

DRM is embedded in today's chips (and yesterdays as well) for quite some time. The only "lucky" part was that it was never really used (except with HDMI interfaces and some other minor stuff).

In other words: Record companies have enough money to make the biggest chip manufacturers in the world implement some of the most 1984ish technologies so far. Intel, AMD, nVidia, Via, ... they're all doing it.

But just like with all "unbreakable" security systems so far (in the entire human history) it will fall sooner or later. There is not a single piece of DRM that has not been broken and I don't believe Intel has invented the first one that will not be broken. If nothing else we will get howto via wikileaks eventually :P
Basically if you can play (see, listen) it, you can record it. Maybe not by Intels (or AMDs or...) design, but once there is a picture on your screen you can take it off the screen and encode it as you please. The same goes with sound. Maybe not as trivial as todays copy/paste world, but DRM is going to loose one way or the other, get used to it.

Back on topic: If you want to read more about these new chips and how they compare to old ones:
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=1057
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i5-2600k-i5-2500k-and-core-i3-2100-tested
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=664&Itemid=63
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/1
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/Intel_i7_2600K_i5_2500K/
http://techreport.com/articles.x/20188
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3754/intel_core_i7_2600k_and_core_i5_2500k_sandy_bridge_cpus/index.html
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel-Core-i72600K-and-i52500K-Processors-Debut/
Enjoy reading!! B|

I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

These reviews are great if you have a masters in computer science. I just want to know if my HD footage from a 5 minute tandem will render from Vegas in less than 4 minutes in an out of thbox system.

That's already possible now.

I just put the final pieces together for the build on my new "Black Box of Joy".

i7-980 Extreme Edition processor (6 CPU cores)
24 Gig RAM
Asus Matrix Radeon 5870 video card (2 GB VRAM on board)
Asus Rampage III MB (BlueTooth even for tweaking hardware wirelessly)
(x2) OCZ Solid State Drives (120 GB + 120 GB) striped to Raid0 -OS & Programs drive
(x2) 10,000 rpm Velociraptor- Raid0 striped (500 GB) for working/fast access scrubbing
2GB archive storage drive
1GB archive storage drive
1GB archive storage drive (used as hot swap externally for massive backup)
DVD burner
Blu Ray burner

Now to spend the next few weeks getting everything installed and tweaked to perfect order exactly the way I like it.

I just put the final pieces together for the build on my new "Black Box of Joy".

i7-980 Extreme Edition processor (6 CPU cores)
24 Gig RAM
Asus Matrix Radeon 5870 video card (2 GB VRAM on board)
Asus Rampage III MB (BlueTooth even for tweaking hardware wirelessly)
(x2) OCZ Solid State Drives (120 GB + 120 GB) striped to Raid0 -OS & Programs drive
(x2) 10,000 rpm Velociraptor- Raid0 striped (500 GB) for working/fast access scrubbing
2GB archive storage drive
1GB archive storage drive
1GB archive storage drive (used as hot swap externally for massive backup)
DVD burner
Blu Ray burner

Now to spend the next few weeks getting everything installed and tweaked to perfect order exactly the way I like it.

What will all this run you?

Wow, really? 4TB of archive?

Video files take up tons and tons of room in their original state. Some are stored for the entire year until winter when the year end project will be completed. Premiere Pro needs tons of room as well when you start slammin everything together. After Effects is rather small but the work space it needs is also huge.

The external swap bay is for the wife. She is the family archivist and takes pictures of the wee ones like a tourist on steroids. DVD are too small to back up her HD and once the price of blank Blu Ray disks comes down ($10 ea.) that will be an option.

Backup rule is 3-2-1. Make at least 3 copies of the data you absolutely need and can not replace. Make sure that at least 2 different types of media are used (HD, Flash, DVD, Gmail) and have 1 of the copies off site (the fire department puts out the fire for you all right but as an added bonus, they fill up your basment with water). Having that hot swappable HD bay is awesome for plugging in and transferring TB of data then carrying it away to store somewhere else.

Got a massive movie and MP3 collection as well. Raid0 for the speed and Raid1 for the backup protection which essentially doubles the required HD space. If something looses its mind and packs it in, a simple HD swap and a COPY command is all it takes to get it up and running again. Archive HD are cheap (not the solid state drives-SSD or the Velociraptors) so why not backup all your stuff for around $100/HD?

Is all that horse power needed? Of course not but then why do real men build V12 engines in a car than can go 300 mph? BECAUSE THEY CAN :)

Over the past year or so, I've been keeping tabs on render times as I upgraded computer parts. Keep in mind this is only a reference using After Effects on a specific 90 second special effects clip I did up. Massively complex but then that is why I did it :)

Always striving to learn, I may not have been perfect in tweaking the RAM/CPU usage that CS4 allowed you to do. It is kind of like tuning a carburetor, get it right and it works good. CS5 does most of the tuning automatically because they figured out people don't know what they are doing (like me :)

The last line of the chart does not detail that it is a completely new PC build. That means SSD drives and MB. That doesn't matter because I'm so glad I have a PC because upgrading is possible :)

I work on both PC and Mac, and have run into projects (also After Effects) where the Mac simply couldnt handle the render, and we had to revert to the PC, which is funny as the machines do roughly match in specs.

I work on PC mostly these days, but dont shy away from the Mac.
That said..I couldnt help but laugh at the PC sv Mac image..great one..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

It is a very impressive machine. Too bad upgrading isn't possible with other computers. But don't tell that to my 3-year old Mac.

Of course, it only has 8 cores of Xeon processor (it is 3 years old after all). But what started as one 320G HD has now morphed to 3 internals (500G, & 2 1TB drives with room for one more, plus tons of externals). What was once 2G RAM is now 10G (with 2 out of 8 slots still empty, and upgradable to 32G). What was originally a single PCI card feeding two monitors has morphed into two dual-head video cards (3 monitors on my desk, plus one feed to my 40-inch LCD in the living room). The other PCI slots have been populated by a HDMI card (blackmagic), and an external SATA card. One DVD burner has been upped to 2 burners. Of course out of the box there are multiple Firewire 400, Firewire 800 and USB 2.0 slots front and back; SP-DIF plus analog audio I/O; two Gigabit Ethernet ports; and it has always been a 64-bit machine. And if I wanted to, I could "upgrade" to a Windows OS... but who would want to?

But seriously, I love hardware, and your machine look very cool. And if I ever desire to own a PC, I am sure it would be something like that! BTW, I totally agree with and follow the advice about multiple back-ups, and I love the eject-able hard drive option for archiving and off-site back-ups (I use one of these).

And if I wanted to, I could "upgrade" to a Windows OS... but who would want to?

Sigh...sucks that it keeps coming back to this...
As Jarno indicated (and as I have on occasion) sometimes a Mac simply can't handle the job because of how the OS works.

With nearly 30 Mac's and a few more PC's in our arsenal, I'm really grateful for BootCamp in some instances, and tremendously grateful for fast renders and native handling of the PC, including on-CPU decode of AVCHD, AC3, and other things that Apple simply cannot/will not support.
So "who would want to?"
The correct answer is "People who want to turn video fast without silliness and generational loss."
It's a tool. But if speed is the need and skydiving is part of the mix, Apple is simply the wrong tool. (IMO)

My post:

Wow, really? 4GB of archive?

You quoted:

Wow, really? 4TB of archive?

Man, if you're going to quote me, then please quote me. Don't change my post and then deliver a lecture as though it was necessary.

I was poking fun at your typo, not requesting information.
Owned by Remi #?