linuxguy

Helmet questions

Hi
I have a couple of questions ?
1. which freefly helmet do you rate as the best (in price range of $100-$150) ?
2. for what reason did you answer question 1 as your best ?
3. what is the general opinion of Nvertigo Helmet ?
4. If my head measures a size meduim for a protec, would that be the same size as a nvertigo ?

I am asking specifically because, I found a site which has a medium Nvertigo helmet, for a really good price.
They say it is New, but has a few scratches on it.

would u buy this helmet if you where me ?
( I will use it for RW and eventually freeflying) which is why I want to buy a decent open face helmet

Thanks;)

In the price range you laid out there are not a whole lot of options if you buy new.
1) Protec- Probably one of the best protecting helmets however probably one of the worst looking
2) Gath- Better looking than the Protec, no internal audible pockets and very little real protection
3) EVO- by Parasports Italy, good looking, internal audible pockets and sadly not a lot of real protection

Prices I believe are Protec around $40.00, Gath $99.00 and EVO $149.00

I have not checked out all the helmets but from what I have seen most all of them could be crushed by hand. Which in my mind does not offer a whole lot of real protection. I personally own a Z1 full faced and now an EVO open face both made by Parasports Italy
Kirk

All helmets are not made the same when it comes to sizing. So don't make the mistake of ordering a helmet without trying one on first. Even if they list the same measurments on the different sites. Some are more narrow then others. Some are made for "PIN HEADS" some are made for "MELON HEADS". Helmets are the most returned item that we have. Which ever helmet you buy try one on first. Especially if you are buying it used. As the person you are buying it from will not want to give your money back. To answer your direct question as far as Protec versus N-vertigo X, the answer is no! They are not the same when it comes to sizing.
Dom

I found this out the hard way. I bought an Nvertigo helmet from someone 2nd hand and it was medium. Now I ride motorbikes and I have always been very comfortable with a size medium. Even with a Protec helmet, medium is good for me. BUT, when I got that Nvertigo helmet medium, it was too darn small. I had to really strech it and it doesn't fit me well... if you are used to medium and are buying a Nvertigo, get a large.

I am getting a bonehead and apparently one can buy inserts to make it smaller/bigger. Now that's good :)
Hope that helps.

Matthew
www.motavi.com

My advice when looking at helmets is always to try on several different helmets in one or more sizes before you spend your money on one. The "best" helmet for me may not be the "best" helmet for you. Different helmets fit different head and face shapes best.

The Nvertigo, Hurricane and NvertigoX helmets seem to fit those with slim faces and cheeks better than they do those with... err.... not so slim faces and cheeks. Off the shelf Aviators are sometimes a fit problem (fits at the forehead but too loose on the sides); this can be solved on a "custom" order - the mfr can add extra liner material to the sides to improve the fit. Mindwarps can be "baked" to fix minor fit problems but you need to have the basic sizing correct to get the best fit even with the baking.

Trying them on is also important because skydiving helmet sizing is not consistent with any other helmet sizing and it isn't consistent between the skydiving manufacturers. The sizing charts you see are general guidelines, not exact science. Not lucky enough to live/jump near a large gear store? Ask around at the dz; I'm sure you can find someone with an Nvertigo you can try on.

cool
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I did try on a large hurricane helmet and seemed to fit okay, although did not jump with it.
Unfortunatley for me, it is difficult to get helmets to try from the gear store has he only brings in helmets on order, and then does not have diff sizes or makes to try.
I will try on diff helmets, in the meantime and will jump with them if I can.
Luckily for me I will be able to borrow a helmet for the interim.

Thanks Once again for your advise ( I have probally been saved from making a bad purchase)

There are a few local helmet makers in SA. And the quality is good. Ask around for the Tom from Perhana Helmets, he jumps out at witbank.

Otherwise the hrlmet you are looking for is of good quality, maybe also chat to your CI.

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.