lippy

GO-Pro mount snag hazard

I pulled these screen shots from a 4-way video I shot June 19. They launched a meeker and while setting up in the door, the Outside Center's jumpsuit sleeve got caught on the GO PRO mount (camera was not installed) mounted on the Inside Center's helmet.

Very shortly after exit they were able to get un-hooked and went on to have a pretty bad-ass skydive. You can see in the pictures and the jumpers will tell you that it was stuck on there pretty good, and their blood got pumping for a few seconds while getting unhooked. On the ground we looked at the video and saw exactly what had happened. For the rest of the day (and I think all jumps since then) she's been jumping with gaffer's tape covering the sharp edges of the mount.

Both Centers here are very current, heads-up jumpers who have been jumping and competing for years. I asked the IC's permission to post this here and she was happy to share it for educational purposes.
I got nuthin

Thank you for sharing this. I have a GO PRO but have decided not to use it with my low jump numbers (insert golf clap and/or rant about BSR's versus recommendations here). I was thinking about putting the mount on my helmet just so I wouldn't lose it. After seeing your photos, I'll keep the mount in my bag and if I lose it, buy another. (And yes I know it comes with 4 mounts, but I put them on other sports helmets).

Thanks again for sharing.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

This should be required viewing for those low experience jumpers who want to strap on a GoPro because they "don't pose a snag hazard like a real camera".
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I fucking hate these cameras...I stopped counting at 4,205 threads about Go Pro's and low time jumpers

You hate those cameras or people that pretend they are not cameras?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I like the camera, but despite the small size, it is still a distraction, and can be a snag hazard.

Plus you can NOT pretend to do "professionnal" outside video with that. It is a good complement for innovative/different angles, but it is NOT enough in my opinion to do an outside Tandem vid, or outside formation video.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I fucking hate these cameras...I stopped counting at 4,205 threads about Go Pro's and low time jumpers

Touchez...I meant the latter of the two...I have one but don't jump with it ;)

I take it kayaking, snowboarding, wakeboarding, etc...

Not trying to stoke the fire, but why don't we just lobby GoPro and their dealers to stop selling to people with less than 200 jumps? I can't go and buy a Comp. Velo. because I only have 87 jumps, yet any swinging dick can go buy a GoPro... and apparently they're just as dangerous to the wrong people.

ETA: I realize this is fruitless, as anyone could say they are getting it for another reason than skydiving, but I think my point remains valid.
I'll be whatever I want to do!

Not trying to stoke the fire, but why don't we just lobby GoPro and their dealers to stop selling to people with less than 200 jumps? I can't go and buy a Comp. Velo. because I only have 87 jumps, yet any swinging dick can go buy a GoPro... and apparently they're just as dangerous to the wrong people.

ETA: I realize this is fruitless, as anyone could say they are getting it for another reason than skydiving, but I think my point remains valid.

You can walk into any REI, Dicks, motorcycle shop, or online store and buy a small format camera. No one will ask you nor know/care what you're using it for. It's a camera, a commodity item (unlike a Velo).

GoPro isn't at all to blame. It's the ignorance and foolishness (and wrecklessness) of individuals that is responsible.

Plus you can NOT pretend to do "professionnal" outside video with that. It is a good complement for innovative/different angles, but it is NOT enough in my opinion to do an outside Tandem vid, or outside formation video.

They are great for outide video, only if the camera flyer has great skill, they have a 170degree field of view and roll in high definition. The only reason they are not good for outside camera is that they are so wide that not many people will have the skill to remain close enough to fill the frame.

Why do you suggest they are no good for outside camera?

shit thay have a better picture than any camera with a shithouse conversion lens that 98% of outside camera people use...
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Reliability would be my biggest issue (seeing the number of users I hear complaining about the unit not recording, or stopping midway in a jump).

Another gripe would be the extremly grainy/muddy picture the unit shoots in low light conditions (grey weather, sunset loads without a lot of bright light).
And in bright light, its sometimes the opposite. Burning the whites so bright, all definition is lost.
With colors often also showing a yellowish hue, far from the true colors.

And compared to the footage Im seeing from the biggest section of professional videographers, the quality isnt fully compareable in sharpness either.

If 98% of the people on your dz use sub-par lenzes, I suggest you stop jumping in the 3rd world country thats you're frame of reference and find a real DZ:P

I think these cameras are great toys, and an awesome way to cheat tandemstudents out of more money...but compared to 'professional' cameras (consumer market), they dont hold win in quality and reliable performance for sure..

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Another gripe would be the extremly grainy/muddy picture the unit shoots in low light conditions (grey weather, sunset loads without a lot of bright light).
And in bright light, its sometimes the opposite. Burning the whites so bright, all definition is lost.
With colors often also showing a yellowish hue, far from the true colors.
And compared to the footage Im seeing from the biggest section of professional videographers, the quality isnt fully compareable in sharpness either.
and reliable performance for sure..

Just to play with you.
But you think a interlaced video from a Sony is more true than a progressive picture?
A interlaced video means that half of the video is "wrong" :P

If we are talkin about smal cameras and not just gopros, i can agree with you on the clouds thing.
But in sunset loads i think i get quite good video.

Just to play with you.
But you think a interlaced video from a Sony is more true than a progressive picture?
A interlaced video means that half of the video is "wrong" :P

Yes, you're just playing. Either that, or you truly don't grasp video.

For those that don't understand the technicalities, please don't for one breath believe that "one half of interlaced video is wrong.">:(

Exercise if you're bored:

In our latest DZ vid, there is footage from a bunch of CX105 cameras with HD lenses, one HC5 with a decent SD lens, one PC series camera with decent SD lens, one PC series camera with a crappy SD lens (single element lens), one contour HD, one go-pro hd and one other type small format camera. Basically, everything that's in use these days for tandem/team videos.

The footage from the PC series cameras had to be re-sized 135% to fit the widescreen vid, so not a totally fair comparison there. But tell me you can't see the difference between HD camera with decent lenses and the small format cameras... :S

click

ciel bleu,
Saskia