Jiggs

Canopy Surging

Hi guys & Gals,

I have a quick question:

Of late the openings on my canopy have been somewhat unusual, after deployment and the canopy has started to inflate I get this weird surge sensation as the canopy fully inflates. It is sort of like getting rocked backwards and then forwards but it can leave me feeling like a rag doll. For some reason (perhaps mental!) it really seems to have a greater effect when I have some of the really slow/soft openings. I was wondering is this a due to something in my break settings or what? What other potential casues can there be? Or am I just off my tree?
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

Upper brakes are probally shrank some and when the canopy opens it opens in a stall.

How many jumps on the lines since the last reline? Spectra or Vectran lines? Has a rigger checked the length of the upper control lines verus factory spec yet?

I bet you'll find the upper lines are a few inches shorter then the spec calls for and once you replace the steering lines the problem will go away.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The lineset is Spectra but its only about 200-300 jumps old, I can't remember when exatly it was relined last. The line-set was supposed to be to spec lineset. It would be pretty surprising that it has shrunk by that much already. Hmm just thinking about it, since I am a bit of a short-arse I did end up getting the risers and break lines shortened some time ago, this probably has sped up the situation. I

So basically if the canopy is opening near a stall, the solution would be to lengthen the lines somewhat?
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

It would be pretty surprising that it has shrunk by that much already

don't be. my dad had a canopy that went out of trim in 50 jumps. it was nuts, i didn't think it could go out that fast, but it did.

have your rigger check the brake lines.

later