billvon

Shootout - CX100 vs HC1

>Were these stills taken with the hc 1 or the cx 100?

CX100

>Also I just got a new cx100 how do you take the stills while in record mode?

You need a hypeye pro, an expansion kit and a bite/blow switch. The expansion kit provides a 2.5mm connector that the bite/blow switch connects to. Note that you get a visual indication that the camera is _trying_ to take a picture, but no confirmation that it's working. (i.e. you could fire it 10 times and end up with only 4 pictures due to cycle time problems.)

I love skydivingmovies.com, and have watched quite a few vids...
That said, I no longer have issues with sites that recompress, and in fact, prefer it. Flash is great, the HD encodes are very, very, good, they use less bandwidth, and if I want to enable download of the original video, I get that option too. YouTube HD looks pretty good, Vimeo is stellar.
But IMO, skydivingmovies.com is a fabulous resource no matter how you slice it.

Nice vids Bill.... Just curious the videos Bomb420 posted on youtube looked like it was filmed next to a strobe light, Im sure there is a term for it but looked like there was multiple images round the people. do you think it was the settings or maybe the faster movements of freeflying? Or is it really not there and its just cause Im watching it on youtube? Anyone that can help it would be appreciated, thinking about buying this cam.

Thanks
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

I've never had any success trying to watch video from that site.

Ditto. Don't understood why it requires registration, so I never bothered.

+1 ... I really wanted to see this, but the long wait is unacceptable.

Weird, as downloads stream in pretty quick here from Skydivingmovies.com, and concidering its a free service (even if it did take longer) I wouldnt really mind.

Bitching about registration being needed to use the site, while on a website on which you had to register to use it....thats just funny..

It took me half a minute to sign up for SDM.com and I always enjoy watching the new videos.
Shame for those who cant look past the registration, as you're missing a lot of incredibly cool videos (to watch during work-hours:P)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Bitching about registration being needed to use the site, while on a website on which you had to register to use it....thats just funny..

You don't have to register to look at dropzone.com, just to post to it. That's the way most forums are set up.

You also dont have to register on skydivingmovies.com to browse the filenames:P
Its when you want to interact (post comments on video, download) that you need registration.

Shame, as you're missing out on a whole lot of fun stuff to watch..
I guess you also dont use facebook (as you cant watch 90% of whats on facebook acounts without registration..even if you dont want to participate)..

You've already spent more time here complaining why you dont like SDM, than it would have taken to make an account and start downloading the funstuff:S;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

You don't have to register to look at dropzone.com, just to post to it. That's the way most forums are set up.

You do for Bonfire, Speakers Corner and the Women's forum.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I've never had any success trying to watch video from that site.

Ditto. Don't understood why it requires registration, so I never bothered.

+1 ... I really wanted to see this, but the long wait is unacceptable.

Weird, as downloads stream in pretty quick here from Skydivingmovies.com, and concidering its a free service (even if it did take longer) I wouldnt really mind.

It took me half a minute to sign up for SDM.com and I always enjoy watching the new videos.
Shame for those who cant look past the registration, as you're missing a lot of incredibly cool videos (to watch during work-hours:P)

Hey, I wasn't trying to make any kind of general statement;) I've been registered for quite a while and don't mind the registration at all. Shouldn't have put the "+1" in there. Sorry!:)

It's just that when I tried it last night, it wasn't working; Quicktime just hung there for five minutes. It was late and I needed to get to sleep and I was grumpy:P

...should have just stepped away from the keyboard.

I managed to figure out how to download the movies anyway. I don't visit SDM very much because too many of the files are HUGE and I can't afford to use up my bandwidth downloading them in order to check them out. I prefer to use YouTube and Facebook because the streaming is quick and I don't have to download the whole thing if I decide it's crap and not worth watching ;) I'm retired now so I can't use other people's bandwidth to download huge movie files :P

I can't wait until it warms up here and we can start jumping (we're a teeny DZ of fair-weather jumpers) so I can try out my new CX100. I've had it for about a week and all I've been able to do is take movies of my dogs:(

The steady_hq and nosteady_hq clips don't work at all for me (I'm running FireFox, IE, and Opera). QT plugin just hangs. WMP plugin just hangs. No streaming. I generally have no problems viewing streams from other sites. I guess I'll try VLC.

Ive never really watched anything streaming from SkyDivingmovies.
Just download first (so you have it on your HD if you want to view it again), and then play in a stand-alone player (instead of in a browser).
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The steady_hq and nosteady_hq clips don't work at all for me (I'm running FireFox, IE, and Opera). QT plugin just hangs. WMP plugin just hangs. No streaming. I generally have no problems viewing streams from other sites. I guess I'll try VLC.

Ive never really watched anything streaming from SkyDivingmovies.
Just download first (so you have it on your HD if you want to view it again), and then play in a stand-alone player (instead of in a browser).

Yeah I just edited my post. Figured that out ;)

Just made a few jumps with the CX100 and a Raynox 3030 lens. The two work great together; much better than the Raynox 5050. Also, the 5050 on the HC1 is almost the same view angle as the 3030 on the CX100. Zoom in a tiny bit on the CX100 with the 3030 and you have a good lens for outside video.

Note that on a few pictures (zoomed all the way out) you can just see the lens of the much longer HC1 to the left.

A few pictures from the CX100: