lippy

Clear hackey

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I can get a clear hackey made, and filled with sand from the ocean at my home town. I emailed my rigger, and he's open to trying something but has no idea how to go about it. Any thoughts?
I got nuthin

My only guess would be instead of using leather for the hackey, use whatever they use to make those clear pants with... maybe a strong clear rubber or something. I don't know how long something like that would last, but I'm sure it would be pretty cool looking, especially if you used sand from the Caribbean... ;)

Remember when sex was safe, and skydiving was dangerous?

Do you mean maybe too heavy to properly inflate the pilot chute? I would think that a sand filled hackey would be no match for a 120-mph wind.. but I could be wrong...

Remember when sex was safe, and skydiving was dangerous?

A sand filled hackey would be way too heavy. When I put the first hackey sack handle on a pilot chute years ago, I used a standard hackey fill with dried seeds or beans. I was much lighter than one filled with sand would be, yet still much too heavy. It didn't want to stay in the pouch, and it tended to fall down below the canopy on opening and tangle with the lines. We had to learn to make our own hackeys and fill them with cotton. I like the idea of a clear handle though. If I made one, I'd use the clear vinyl we cover our warning lables with. However, I fear that all the stitching and inside raw edges will give it a rather ragged look. The neat thing about how a leather hackey is made, is that the stiches, and edges, and knot don't show. They will through the clear vinyl.

A sand filled hackey would be way too heavy. When I put the first hackey sack handle on a pilot chute years ago, I used a standard hackey fill with dried seeds or beans. I was much lighter than one filled with sand would be, yet still much too heavy. It didn't want to stay in the pouch, and it tended to fall down below the canopy on opening and tangle with the lines. We had to learn to make our own hackeys and fill them with cotton. I like the idea of a clear handle though. If I made one, I'd use the clear vinyl we cover our warning lables with. However, I fear that all the stitching and inside raw edges will give it a rather ragged look. The neat thing about how a leather hackey is made, is that the stiches, and edges, and knot don't show. They will through the clear vinyl.

What about monkey-fist handles? Aren't they quite heavy?

:|

If you say it'd be too heavy, I'll take your word as golden. What would you think about a ping-pong ball or something similar in the middle, surrounded by sand. I jump a Reflex (I promise my next rig will be Vector:P), and the spandex BOC mouth is fairly tight.
I got nuthin

dont you think the ping pong ball would eventually work itself to one side, what with the density/weight difference. That would look pretty lame. If it stayed in place, then great. Maybe glue some sand onto the sides of the ball, that way if it did work to the side, it would still have sand on it so you couldnt tell. You would need some pretty strong adhesive!

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Don't know why your stuck on wanting it heavy. Neither the original plastic tubing handles or the current crop of hackey handles are very heavy. Remember, this isn't a hackey for kicking. It's a facsimile of a hackey used as a handle.;) One guy I know used a small polypropylene pill bottle tied on with 550 for several years.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I don't want it to be heavy, I want it filled with sand for the sake of it being filled with sand from back home. If you read my last post I was actually trying to think of a way to decrease the weight.
I got nuthin

The funniest pilot chute handle I ever saw was a Barbie doll head...and as we all know, a little head never hurt anybody.

I know a girl who has the head of Woodstock from the Peanut's comic as her hackey.

Upon reflection...I'm not sure if that's really cool or really disturbing.:o:D
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™