jlmiracle

Will a canopy stay inflated

If you can keep tension on the lines and maintain the air flowing at close to the same angle and speed into the nose...yes.

If not...Well gravity will cause you will fall into your canopy and it will wrap around you like a bodybag.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

If you can keep tension on the lines and maintain the air flowing at close to the same angle and speed into the nose...yes.

If not...Well gravity will cause you will fall into your canopy and it will wrap around you like a bodybag.

Not quite what I'm referring to.

Say you hooked it up and packed it upside down. and no I didn't do this.
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

The top of the canopy is now the bottom of the canopy (you look up and see your pilot chute right above you attached to your canopy), whether it was hooked up and packed upside down. or here's a hypothetical - say you deploy and the pilotchute goes over the nose and is pulled all the way through. Will the canopy stay inflated?

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I don't think that could even happen...

The attachment points on the canopy are on the bottom.

It would only work if you had only outside attachment points.

But IF you could do it. I don't think it would stay inflated. There would be no tension on the lines.

But this is way out of my area now.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I don't think that could even happen...

But IF you could do it. I don't think it would stay inflated. There would be no tension on the lines.

But this is way out of my area now.

Ron

I didn't think it could happen either. Here's what happened or we think happened.

New jumper at our dz. He rents gear (not student gear). I believe the main is a 190 sabre. He cuts away (doesnt follow ANYTHING) and we can't find the main and freebag.

anyway, we ask him what was the malfunction. He said the canopy was hooked up backwards. (that's appears to be his story and he is sticking to it) I ask him a few more times and so do other people and he said "the canopy seemed to have flipped through", I said "so you mean it was upside down?" He said oh, I guess that would make it upside down." Then he said it must have been hooked up backwards.

I'm guessing he flipped through the risers and or had some line twists. I did not hook up the canopy. I guess the fact that he made a comment about the canopy doing something more than just flying backwards makes me believe something else was the problem.

Anyone have any ideas. Unfortunately no one saw the problem.

Judy

Yes CRW Dawgs do it all the time.

. Ask this question in the CRW section and you'll get a good answer from people who know all about Drag planes
-

Why would they do that. :o:S I've had 1 CRW experience and it scared the shit out of me kinda.

Judy

Judy

It very well may have been simply hooked up backwards. It's been done before (not "upside down"). It is impossible for a pilot chute to otherwise pull a canopy completely over (under?) itself once inflated. Most it could do would be to simply "bow-tie" the canopy due to where it's attachment point is (only 1/2-way span-wise) on the TOP skin. Physics tells us it would be (or should be) impossible for it to pull COMPLETELY therefore ALL THE WAY AROUND to fully inverted in of itself.

Student either did not know what he was looking at -(could have even had line twists -I've seen a student fly 2/3's of his pattern backwards because of a 1.5 line twist & when he got down he said simply that the canopy was "backwards" ...But it somehow straightened itself out -thank goodness- before his final & landing!). Student will "see" & therefore sometimes report "wacky" things! ;)
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I remember a student who cut away a canopy...it looked like it was flying fine, so we asked him what happened. His answer was, "I kept pumping the brakes and the slider would not go back up the lines. So I got rid of it."
It would not go UP the lines...he stuck with that story...we gave him retraining. Point is, they get overloaded and confused and either don't know what they saw, or can't describe it adequately. Sounds like this person could use a review of malfunctions...with photos and/or video.