ozzy13

Best lense for tandems

If you are flying close enough for a 10mm lens, then you are putting yourself and the other your filming in a danger zone (tandems & aff)
I know this from my experience with a camera flyer 1st hand. Its way to close to be with tandem . There is absolutely no need to fly that close to a tandem! Especially with your experience level.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

IMO with a cropped sensor 10mm is great for tandems since you can get nice "on the door" photos with it. Actually I think 8mm might work even better, but for all the other shots it would bee maby too wide in my opinion.

I dont think you can get these pictures with the 15mm.

In the air the focal lenght doesnt matter so much since you can always choose the distance you like to shoot from. Personally I like to dock on the students for a while and this close the 15mm FOV is too narrow with the 1.6 crop factor.

I think you might get very nice results with for example a 50mm and very large aperture, but framing would be more difficult and exit shots might be very difficult to nail nicely. "On the door" photos would be impossible. The bokeh would be very nice though.

What I do a lot of times is that I shoot 10mm in the beginning and later on a may set it to 22mm in freefall and shoot on my back from a slightly further away. Also landing shots work better @22mm.

If I was shooting FF I would definetly get the 15mm though..

EDIT: forgot to add that I definetly dont think Im putting anyone at risk when flying at docking distance and shooting with the 10mm. I dont know where velocityphoto gets this idea from..

Your level of experience is way more than this guys too.
I dock on tandems myself .I have not done it for awhile though since i'm the one with the passenger a lot lately. :)

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

in the few jumps i id with TI's they always gave me the hand signal to come in and then they put their hands out to dock onto them! I have no problem hanging out wherever i want in the jump but hey if they offer a dock ill take it!!

Hey you shouldn't even be jumping with Tandems until you have 500 jumps B|
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

>Have you jumped with the 15mm on the XTi?

I jumped one today with an XSi and liked it a lot. The fisheye perspective takes some getting used to (I usually use a rectilinear 10-22mm) but you can always convert it back if you like.

Some samples below.

>Have you jumped with the 15mm on the XTi?

I jumped one today with an XSi and liked it a lot. The fisheye perspective takes some getting used to (I usually use a rectilinear 10-22mm) but you can always convert it back if you like.

Some samples below.

Nice shoots. I cant wait to use mine
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Awesome shots of the exits man! I love it .
What were you shooting as far as zoom go's or were you zooming in as they left?
Nice depth of field. Are you still shooting your 5d or did you get hold of a mark 2 5d yet?

Che, Melon, don't confuse the people :ph34r:
Nikon doesn't make a 15mm, that's Canon...
And your pic is with the Nikon 10,5 fisheye for APS sensors, which gives the same angle than the Nikon 16 fisheye with a full frame.
Personally, I agree: the 16 or 15 mm lenses in an aps camera is the perfect lens for tandem and almost everything else... They are equivalent to a 19 mm in a Nikon or around 20mm in a Canon. I hear over and over that is like a 24, but its not, because they are 15 or 16mm fish eye, not rectilinear...
Also, in an aps camera you can tape an UV filter in front to protect it. Degrade the quality a bit, specially against the sun, but for me is worth don't need to worry about scratching the lens, and I can clean it over and over, change it once a year, and have a perfect front element all the time...
Just my 2 patacones...

To go back to the original question, though, the stock 18-55mm lens that comes with the Canons is not all that bad for tandems. When zoomed all the way out it's a bit narrower than most video cameras with a .5 lens on front, but it's acceptable quality, cheap and light. The Perris school uses half a dozen of these on older APS-C cameras (original Digital Rebel etc) with good results.

Che Gustavo,

Im not using Canon. And yes, sometimes I use the Nikon 16mm fisheye, depend what I want. On the last post I make a mistake about what kind of lense I used.

Like Gustavo said, I took that photo with a Nikon 10,5mm fisheye

Sorry guys if I confuse somebody!
Juan "MELON" Mayer
www.JuanMayer.com
[email protected]