ozzy13

Best lense for tandems

Big fan of the Canon 15mm,...

Ditto. The Canon is also slightly lighter than the Sigma, and slightly smaller in diameter. On the heavier end is the Tokina 17mm aspherical (it isn't a fisheye lens). It is one of my favorites prime lenses, but it is getting hard to find. It might even have been discontinued.

I have a Tokina 17mm and I believe you are correct tthat it has been discontinued... and it isn't light... but I like the lens...

I also have the 18-55 kit lens for those days I don't want to carry as much weight... and I want to get the canon 10-22mm for skydiving and shooting fireworks displays.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

For APS-C:

Personally at the moment I would either choose canon 10-22 or tokina 11-16 ( I have the canon my self )

The tokina is reported to be very nice. The downside is the small amount of zoom it has.. (5mm)

Sigma 10-20 is not a bad choise but it is slower, heavier and most of all sigma is known for its poor quality control. In other words its a gamble wether you get a sharp copy..

I like the zoom for versatility. Sometimes I zoom it in freefall always always I shoot landing shots @ 22mm

For a secondary lens I plan on using canon 28mm f/2.8. I havent used it yet, but @ f/2.8 I expect to get nice bokeh and really sharp pictures..

B&H Photo has the tokina 10-17mm
How the **** do you make things a link on this forum!!!!!!!

[urlhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/468737-REG/Tokina_ATX107PRODXC_10_17mm_f_3_5_4_5_AT_X_107.html/url]

jerry that fucken url thing then pasting it then hitting url again doesnt fucken work...i hate this link bullshit

Personally after playing with it in the shop I'd get the 28 f/1.8 instead of the 2.8, MUCH better bokeh and the sharpness is razor sharp.

I disagree. The f/2.8 is superior. The f/1.8 is much softer.

I know, it is weird but thats how it seems.

Comparison picture

EDIT: attached a sample I took with canon 28 f/2.8 @2.8 and a crop of the upper corner. When examining the crop even the upper corner looks sharp. IMO very nice sharpness indeed.

if it's the Canon, I'd autofocus for a while. Autofocus on that lens is fast. Very fast.

I think you told that to me also while in Eloy so I gave it a shot and it did not give me the shot :)

yeah well...helps if the camera mount has some talent behind it.:):):)

Seriously, did you get your lens straightened out?

Those were not near the results I was pulling off the camera with the lens sample we pulled out of the case at the local camera shop. There are some soft copies out there but there are also a lot of really tack sharp copies.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks guys I ordered the Canon 15mm. Should be fine with what I what to do with it:)

Dang! Here comes another guy who can take great shots:P

What about me, I use one of these......
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

yeah well...helps if the camera mount has some talent behind it.:):):)

Seriously, did you get your lens straightened out?

OOUUCCCHHHH! B| and yeah, I got it straightened out..

Scott

one day...I'll be able to shoot/fly like you do :P Until then, I can only tweak ya.

I was on the canon forums and i realized that if you put this lens on a different body the wide angle effect is much more dramatic. So since the effect is so little on a XTi Body....why dont people get a 10mm lens....im really contemplating getting a 10mm at this point for this body.....

I was on the canon forums and i realized that if you put this lens on a different body the wide angle effect is much more dramatic. So since the effect is so little on a XTi Body....why dont people get a 10mm lens....im really contemplating getting a 10mm at this point for this body.....

Why? Have you jumped with the 15mm on the XTi? It's perfect for tandems and most four-way, as it's equivalent to 24mm on a non-APSC/full frame camera.
there is a reason 15mm is one of the most popular lenses for tandems and many other skydiving applications...
But if you like flying *really* close ALL the time...B|