pinkponies

ear damage

I'm a musician and I just had my first jump recently, after the jump my ears really hurt a lot. I'm a little concerned about hearing damage. One of the jump masters had an Oxygen helmet that looked like it might quiet things out a bit. What should i do, i obviously still need to hear the JM at in the plane, but once i'm out i wouldent be able to hear them anyway. Any Advice?

It's quite possible your ears hurt from pressure changes, not freefall/airplane noise. See this thread about the problem.

If you're certain it was the noise, you can either get a helmet that covers the ears well or/and earplugs. Your JM will have to talk a bit louder to get through, though.

I can understand your concern.

I myself am also a musician and have thought about these things. The suggested ear plugs are a great idea, even with a helmet that covers your ears, there are quite a few jumpers that wear them for that reason.

On a side note, after jumping for 2 years I had a hearing test at MEPS and I had perfect hearing, so 2 years worth of jumping hadn't done any damage. Not to say that it won't or can't do damage.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I would say that as long as you are a student, you should not use earplugs or such. You need to be able to hear your jumpmaster.

Be sure not to jump with a head cold, and if you are not sure everything is clear, i suggest decongestant nose spray.

Once you are cleared to jump solo....go for the ear plugs....

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

I wore earplugs from jump #2 up to around 60. Never had any problems hearing the jumpmasters, just had to listen more carefully to hear what your JM's are saying. I don't use plugs now because I bought a Mindwarp helmet. My helmet muffles the engine and freefall noise very nicely.

Ear pain can be caused by a lot of things - most people that start jumping aren't used to the rapid pressurization going from jump altitude to ground level in only a few minutes. It normally takes a few jumps to get used to it - after you get a few more jumps, you may never have a problem again.

You may have smaller than normal eustachian tubes. We see this problem with some SCUBA divers. Again, after a few dozen jumps, you might become conditioned and not have a problem.

Also, your initial pain may be simply caused by impacted ear wax blocking your ear canal - you can do irrigation at home to help with that - it's an easy fix, or a doctor can help remove severely impacted wax.

I do know some people that take sudafed or other decongestants prior to jumping and SCUBA - make sure to ask your doctor. I really don't know if taking medication prior to jumping is a good idea, but I do know jumpers that do it.

Changing your helmet won't effect the pressure change. Also, I don't really know anyone that sustained permanent hearing loss from jumping.

I have heard rumor that old skydivers that don't use ear plugs develope a ringing in their ears. Any truth or explanation to this?

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

Yeah, it can affect your hearing.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

very possibly...

the ringing is called tinitus its a sign that your hearing has been badly damaged. You may notice it yourself when you've been exposed to a loud noise.

Beleive it or not, anything over shouting volume is doing damage to your hearing.

As a sound engineer i wear ear plugs all the time, clubbing etc. Friends used to think i was mad, but already they're understanding why i do it. My ear's dont ring :)
i tried wearing ear plugs for the first time the other day on a jump. Wore them up to alti, then took them out for the jump. I did notice a bit more popping on the way up, but other than that it kept things nice and quiet.

a popular misconception with ear plugs is that they cur out all sound. They dont. They simply reduce noise. when i'm in a loud club and i'm wearing ear plugs, i still hear the music, but i can also hear people who talk to me. Its all clear.

The same was on the plane. I could still hear when people were saying things to me (although it was obvioulsy quieter) but it cut out the loud drone of the engines.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I have heard rumor that old skydivers that don't use ear plugs develope a ringing in their ears. Any truth or explanation to this?

I don't know about the truth about it, but I can give a little explanation. It is called tinnitus. It develops from nerve damage in your inner ear caused by continued exposure to loud noises. For me, I developed it about 6 years ago from loud music. For some, it is just a nuisance, others it is debilitating. There is no cure and you just have to learn to live with this ringing sound always in your head. There are tons of sites on the internet about it.

Why did you take the ear plugs out for the jump? I feel that the jump is louder than the plane. I have done a couple of jumps with ear plugs....I liked the sound I heard when I was freeflying - it was quieter and I felt more in touch with my visual sense and my sense of feel. However, I had to pay serious attention to hear my audible. If I hadn't been trying to hear it, I wouldn't have heard it. Is this common, or is it a battery/mounting issue?
...FUN FOR ALL!

Just had my first jump a few weeks ago and my ears hurt a lot. After a day or so I was back to normal. I have experienced this same feeling before when I have been outside in the winter, wind and cold really affect my ears and they can hust for hours. When we jumped out of the plane I could feel my ears cool off quickly and it hurt. It was about 50 degrees up there Has anyone had any experience or suggestions with earplugs that help buffer the wind and cold?

Skyvan's are quiet...(note the admitted hearing loss in that statement). I grew up in all piston engine airplanes, with the most time in Twin Bo's... (only Caribous can match that 130 db cabin level.)

The length of the exposure is more significant... i.e. the airplane ride up. We spend 60-120 seconds of noise after the exit...

Wear hearing protection in the airplane, don't worry about after the exit if you're wearing any type of helmet.

Chris