skydiveoc

first handies on cx12 today.

haha this is brilliant !

hopefully not too far off topic - does anyone know of a place that sells neoprene condoms for the cx12 ?

I have found that a chopped off slieve from an old wet suit fits perfectly. Particularly with a Raynox lens. You will need to tidy up the ends but it's easy to do yourself or ask your rigger nicely..

Might also try thos cheap beer cuzi's you see at tourist shops. Cheap neoprene but it seems to fit cx style cam tightly. Also, fellow staff member used the javelin beer cuzi with the velcro already built in to wrap it.

got my cx12 this weekend did 5 jumps - 3 freeflies 2 tandems.

didnt get any shaking - on all the jumps i was either sitting, head down or carving on my head.

no shakes - im a happy buyer. waiting for hype eye ...

got a macbook pro and want to start doing tandem with imovie,, from what i have read i think im going to struggle. ill have to download the old imovie hd6 version. the newer version look terrible for tandem vids. - anyway off topic.

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

I'm sitting at my desk looking at my HC7... It looks scared, it should. We're about to have a Kubric moment as I force its eyes open. Thanks for posting your findings!
PEACE!
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

quick question on cx12 - havent really had to much time with my new cx12 but one thing i did manage to check out was that while shooting VIDEO the camera could in quick succession take 3 still PHOTOS (regardless of size) before buffering for a few secs - i counted about 10 sec. That obviously means that if you want to use the camera as a one stop tandem cam. it is going to take some planning - door shot, 5 sec exit shot with plane in back, close up shot or two few secs and wide shot or whatever you wanna do...

Long and short is (unless im doing something wrong) the camera needs some time to buffer between quick successive pictures... but is workable

Actually printed out a decent 8x10 frame grab from highest quality HD mode. Of course edges were soft from crappy .2 lens but still...the best frame grab out there.

For someone with a nice framed blowup on their wall...obviously forget it. But for decent Facebook and Myspace pics...they look pretty good. And I find thats what 70% of what people want now anyway. And for a $15 dollar handcam add on, Im happy to make the $85 per jump.

Actually printed out a decent 8x10 frame grab from highest quality HD mode. Of course edges were soft from crappy .2 lens but still...the best frame grab out there.

For someone with a nice framed blowup on their wall...obviously forget it. But for decent Facebook and Myspace pics...they look pretty good. And I find thats what 70% of what people want now anyway. And for a $15 dollar handcam add on, Im happy to make the $85 per jump.

Which .2 lens are you using?
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!

What apple software supports avchd now days? Which versions of imovie? I have imovie 6.0.3 that i like a lot. What version of vegas could i use to edit with out to much in depth fancy stuff.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

All new versions of Vegas support AVCHD, and newest iMovie does as well. FCE and FCS require conversion first.
Vegas Movie Studio 9 is a great little tool, as evidenced by the capture of over 1000 videos at Nationals this week (VMS was used for all capture).

Just seen this thread pop up again.

I have just been at a Boogie with a mate jumping his CX12 topmounted.

Unfortunately his camera did experience some serious pixelation from head up to flat to head down.

When viewing the jump on the lcd the image would mirror image itself occasionally- weird.

I think he may have got a dud, so it's gone back to the shop.

Any other user running similar issues?

Cookie

for the record...

i use a CX12 top mount outside a box on a TONFLY helmet with L-bracket - mt helmet sits snug and thus no helmet movement in any orientation.

I film tandems, wingsuit (belly and back fly) and freeflying head down, carving and sitflying.

I dont have any issues. This weekend i did 3 jumps with a free fly student who is learning to sitfly and i was in a normal sit orientation for the whole jump from top to bottom and i didnt have any shake issues.

on my old helmet which was a little looser i did have a small amount of shake (very smalll) when sit flying so I assume its my helmet that making the diff. in saying that it was a very small amount of shake.

I shoot with a 0.55 single element Century lense.

Pixelation? If it was pixelation, then the camera is defective. If it's oscillation, then it's an OIS problem. Same comment for the mirroring, sounds like a bad cable or corrupted file. The CX12 is quite similar to the CX7, although I haven't seen the same problem with my CX12 that I occasionally see with the 7.

I can't seem to find vegas on the sony site to run on mac? I start to download the trail version but it does not specify mac or pc. Looks like an exe pc file to me there.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

PC only. Gotta have Bootcamp/Intel proc to run on a MacBookPro

Have you or anyone else tried "Parallels"?
Vegas is the ONLY reason that I'd consider putting a MacroSuck product on my Macbook. I had Parallels installed for a while but then I took it off. It seemed to work ok but I didn't try any really resource hungry programs. I'm curious if Vegas would work well on a virtual machine.

I'm considering the bootcamp and vegas pro 9 so how much for them? Sounds like the plan for my new cx 12 soon as i get it. I'm still trying to understand if the hype pro takes still shots while doing handcam videos ?If so how many can i shoot with out having video problems?

You can occasionally find Vegas Pro 9 for quite cheap at videoguys.com or B&H.com
You don't NEED Pro, BTW, but if you want the uber-fast workflow...Pro is much better.
Parachutist/Chris W can probably give you a more unbiased opinion than I.

OK for those of you who are filming tandems please help me out.

I'm really curious as to the length of real time for your editing process, including capture, changing text on credits, music setup, rendering, burning (everything).

Once you get into your editing suite and begin your editing process, how long does it take for you to be able to hand the customer a finished product (start to finish).

And how long is the customer's video?? (final product length) ie. 6 minutes? 8 minutes? 10 minutes?

Thanks for your help.

With my HC5 I film 6-8 minutes, finished product is 8-10 minutes. I need 20 minutes to edit and burn the dvd (with music and slow-mo), rotate the photos and burn the photo cd, pack my canopy if I have to pack myself and film the intro of the next vid. 25 minutes is easier on me ;) The guys using CX type camera are faster but they use a linear editing system so they take less than 10 mins. No one here is using a CX type camera with a NLE yet. Would be curious to know what my time would be then, with my current PC.

ciel bleu,
Saskia