SSkydiver

Chest strap

A few months back i purchased a new/used Javelin that has the 1 inch chest strap. I havent had any problems on any of my jumps but sometimes i look at that chest strap and think "Damn thats small" Are there any advantagesdisadvantages to a 1 inch chest strap from a 2 inch chest strap. I've considered replacing it with the 2 inch strap but wanted to get some opinions on the matter first from others that have the 1 inch strap. I sometimes think that little thing is going to snap on me on deployment. I always had the 2 inch prior to this rig so its just a little different for me.

Ask the dude that fell out of his racer which he would prefer. Oh. Sorry. He's dead.

Plæeace respect the deads.Keep your mind to your self in such a case.His family and freinds could read it.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Your chest strap takes very little load on opening. Most of it translates to your main lift webs, unless you've slipped your harness off your shoulders.

You simply don't need much there...it's job is to hold the MLWs together, they (and your leg straps) do the work.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Actually, nylon is some amazing stuff. The amount of force your chest strap is subjected to is trivial when weighed against the tensile strength of 1" webbing. Most 1" webbing has a breaking strength over 4,000 pounds.

I'm also a rock climber and I've taken huge whippers on 19mm nylon quickdraws (spectra is better). Those seemed to hold up just fine.

I've also set up some 300' plus rope jumps and used a single 1" nylon sling as the primary anchor (backed up to a totally bombproof anchor of course) I did this to show a buddy of mine how much we were actually OVERbuilding our anchor systems.

Nylon rocks!

Actually, nylon is some amazing stuff. The amount of force your chest strap is subjected to is trivial when weighed against the tensile strength of 1" webbing. Most 1" webbing has a breaking strength over 4,000 pounds.

I'm also a rock climber and I've taken huge whippers on 19mm nylon quickdraws (spectra is better). Those seemed to hold up just fine.

I've also set up some 300' plus rope jumps and used a single 1" nylon sling as the primary anchor (backed up to a totally bombproof anchor of course) I did this to show a buddy of mine how much we were actually OVERbuilding our anchor systems.

Nylon rocks!

1" type 17 webbing is rated at 2500 lb. 1" tubular nylon is rated at 4,000. Maybe that is what you were referring to.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Your chest strap takes very little load on opening. Most of it translates to your main lift webs, unless you've slipped your harness off your shoulders.

You simply don't need much there...it's job is to hold the MLWs together, they (and your leg straps) do the work.

This is important to know when you are forced to open with no chest strap. Crossing your left arm to
take a grip on the right main lift web wile you reach back and dump...then bring in your right arm in...I found it easy to hold myself in the harness.
...mike:)
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

Thanks for the info guys. I really wasnt sure what the force was on the chest strap on deployment. Having a 1 inch strap just felt different since it was new for me to have it. But now with everyones input it makes me feel alot better with the knowledge now. I appreciate it.

1" type 17 webbing is rated at 2500 lb. 1" tubular nylon is rated at 4,000. Maybe that is what you were referring to.
Sparky

Well, my point was that 1" webbing is more than adequate. Not all 1" webbing are constructed the same, and most are rated at or near 4,000 pounds ar at least above 15kn. I was not referring to only tubular webbing as there are several types of flat 1" rated at 3,700 pounds or greater. If we're talking about a 2" flat webbing folded in half along it's long axis, now we're exceeding 6,000 pounds.

Nylon is some tough stuff...

did you forget your chest strap?

Ever since i read about jumpers falling out of there harness on deployment because of no or misrouted chest straps i make DAMN SURE mine is routed correctly as well as visually look at other jumpers on the load with me. I check everything probably 7-8 times before each jump just to make sure. Better to be anal than dead.

did you forget your chest strap?

No actually it was a nude jump in very hot humid weather, I have a short chest strap with no doubled over end. It got all sweaty,slipped out in free fall, and when I went turn and dump(we don't track....we do CRW), my right hand MLW slide off my shoulder. I was not pleased about this and fixed it quick. I simply could not locate my chest strap at the time(it was behind me)....opened!
Lost my alti-ii and hook knife( was on the chest strap). We built a bi-plane wile I was doing up my chest strap and landed out...naked!
...mikeB|
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

Sparky

Well, my point was that 1" webbing is more than adequate. Not all 1" webbing are constructed the same, and most are rated at or near 4,000 pounds ar at least above 15kn. I was not referring to only tubular webbing as there are several types of flat 1" rated at 3,700 pounds or greater. If we're talking about a 2" flat webbing folded in half along it's long axis, now we're exceeding 6,000 pounds.

Nylon is some tough stuff...

You are right, Type XVIII is 6,000, Type XX is 9,000 and Type XXV is 4,500. But chest straps are made from Type XVII and that is 2,500 lb.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I know the feeling...

When I ordered my Voodoo I had the choice and I thought to myself damn... that 1-ince deal is small. I talked to my rigger and he said that it was strong enough and that I didn't have to worry and so I got it.

After about 20 or so Jumps I am used to it now and it doesn't bother me that much...

I still look at it sometimes and think,, damn.. that is small..

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.