AndyMan

HD tandem ops?

I'm curious if anyone has successfully setup an HD tandem video concession?

Have you bought HD linear editing boards, or are you doing NLE on a PC?

Blue Ray recorders, or a PC with a burner?

Do you sell SD for one price, and then up-sell HD for a premium?

Do you burn Blue-Ray disks, or upload to an HD video hosting site?

HD TV's are all over the place, but Blue Ray players are not. Where do people think this is going?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

We have sold BD discs, starting last season.
~Customer must request BD in advance
~Premium charge on top of normal video fees
~Customer has choice of BD disc or AVCHD burned to DVD 5
~We have both BD burners in PC and standard DVD burners in PC, either of which may be used depending on the request of the student/customer
~We've sold more BD discs than expected, but not enough to recover investment.
I do believe we're the first DZ world-wide to offer BD?

I'd be stunned/knocked over if there is *any* tandem op in the world using a switcher for HD. There is no low-cost switcher for HD at this time.

Based on the number of phone calls I've received from various DZ's across the country (and a few out of country) everyone is already figuring out that HD delivery is the "next big thing." Offering it as a premium for the next two years is a big deal, IMO. It's more than just having an HD camcorder, however.
And...for the $$ the customer is spending for a BD disc, I can't imagine trying to schlock one together using a realtime switch anyway. Maybe in a couple years when HD switchers are cheap and common, but til then...not gonna happen, I don't think.

So what is the cost of a tandem HD video, how much on top of a regular video? How much of that difference goes to the operator/equipment owner? Is the price lower if customer chooses to get it on a regular DVD vs. a BD?

Last year, we tacked on $125.00 for HD delivery, and it was only on BD disc, because AVCHD wasn't supported in all the players, and BD discs are damned expensive.
This year, we're offering a $100.00 surcharge on top of the $65.00 video/$90.00 video/stills package, and there is no additional charge if they want it on BD or DVD 5, even though the BD disc does cost triple a standard DVD 5 (blanks are $7.50 in bulk).
The difference is whether they want an authored DVD or not, but given that I have templates for both, neither is any difference in creative time, difference is in burn speed. BD is 4X, AVCHD is 16X.
As far as the split, that hasn't been worked out for the 08' season, since I'm the only one with a BD burner, but I allow others access to it. I'm sure we'll settle it out once the season gets rolling. Already have orders for 7 BD discs this season, and we're not jumping yet.

Spot,
I have another question about BluRay technologie.
Is there any compatibilty issues at play back?
Is there any major difference or advantage to write on one type of disc but not to the other (BR-R or BR-RE)???
We used to have this issues with regular DVD.
The +R proved to be lot faster for finalizing (at least on the recorder decks)and also less play back issues. Or another example, now I burn my TM videos to RW so I don't even have to waste my time to finalize, but here and there cosumers compained about playback issues when it was written onto -RW. But never had any problem with the +RW.
Is there any issues like that with BluRay, or it's more "standardized" right from the begening?
Thanks for the info!
-Laszlo-

...I'm stupid, I forgot the other question.
What software supports BR authoring these days?
Is there any free up date availble?
I have ULEAD DVD Workshop-2, Nero, Avid Express Pro HD (I prefer my ULEAD for DVDs...)
What are you using for BR disc burning?
Vegas8 ?
ThankS!

Is there any compatibilty issues at play back?

Not that I've seen, beyond a few rare instances of crappy DVD brands not being recognized.

Is there any major difference or advantage to write on one type of disc but not to the other (BR-R or BR-RE)???

Not that I've seen, but we've burned so few BR-r vs RE discs that I can't claim any degree of authority.

What software supports BR authoring these days?

Adobe Encore, Ulead DVD FACTORY (DVD Workshop is dead), are on the low-cost side. There will be at least 2 more I'm aware of, announced in 3 weeks at NAB.

Is there any free up date availble?

Ulead is a 69.00 upgrade.

What are you using for BR disc burning?

Sony Vegas, Adobe Encore, and I do have Sonic, and other tools. I'll answer this question differently in a couple weeks;)

I have a few more questions about your set up at your DZ. We would like to start setting up a system similar to yours. Any info you can provide would be excellent.

How many PC/NLE stations do you have set up?
Does the DZ own PC/NLE stations (hardware+software?)
How many people are hired to do the editing?
How many vids do you think a single editor will do a day?
Does the DZ pay the editors or do the Videographers?
Do the editors get paid per edit?

I have a few more questions about your set up at your DZ. We would like to start setting up a system similar to yours. Any info you can provide would be excellent.

How many PC/NLE stations do you have set up?
Technically, three, although only one is in constant/consistent use.

Does the DZ own PC/NLE stations
(hardware+software?)

No, the DZ does not own the equipment.

How many people are hired to do the editing?
One full time, one part time.

How many vids do you think a single editor will do a day?
Average is around 60, but we've done up to 74.

Does the DZ pay the editors or do the Videographers?
DZ pays the editors.

Do the editors get paid per edit?
Yes.

Wow .. that was quick ... thank you ...

Another one. What is the process for your YouTube uploads for your tandem vids ... (what format do you render to, resolution, do you use Sony Movie Studio's "integrated publish to YouTube" feature etc...)

No, we do not use the vms publish feature, but we could.

if you can find the thread on 'new youtube" you'll find a tutorial I wrote on the subject. im on my blackbeerry and don't want to search. :-)
hth

Still charging more for HD delivery on Blu-ray or DVD5 for PS3/BD players. Didn't think it would last this long...
100% more.
Delivery is also charged for web delivery, and we can deliver to flash drives but we don't provide those.

Thanks DSE.
We are switching to HD this season so my "boss" asked me to calculate the price for HD video.
We are also considering to deliver video on USB drives as the price for 4GB flash drives is the same as BD disc media and plus is that you don`t need the burner.
I`ll recommend double price for HD, but we`ll see as it is going to be quite pricey (we offer digital stills on CD - no charge).
dudeist skydiver #42

The MAIN thing is WE charge (we the video monkeys)(we the sub contractors set OUR rates)

Change is Bloody Expensive, and things break.

We got a raw deal when most dz's transferred to digital stills from 35mm at no extra charge/complimentary stills package. (BS!)

Im hoping to introduce the following extra features/services for a fee this summer (there are still some kinks in my vision)

Extra Copies of DVDs (Duplicator Standalone Unit)

AVCHD DVD's using the Sony Direct DVD MC6 Burner with custom DVD Backgorund Menu, the MC10 as the player to a HDTV via HDMI

H.264 Video web Hosting

4"x6" Quality Jpeg Pictures on a CD with a Personal Use License.txt

Online Picture Gallery with ecommerce storefront to Order Larger Prints/Merchandise/Hi Res Jpegs with Personal Use or Commercial Use License

Edit it yourself at Home Video File

I had this idea of using a small ipod with a mic and a switcher for audio input into the mic input as i record, but now the camcorders dont have mic input im still working on how to record a royalty free upbeat background music, but somebody mentioned the CX150 you can use a mp3 on the camcorder card.

My Breakdown of my Fee

$20 Gear Rental/ Danger Money(Plane/Freefall/Landing Area)
$5 packjob
$15 Video Creation/Video Investment
$10 Video Edit Post Production
$15 Still Creation/Still Investment
$10 Jpeg CD Burn

Its nice to make money so I can have good safe gear, and produce the highest quality product, I have seen the other end of the spectrum and its not doing our sport any good.

I hope what I write is read in a positive productive manner :)

we the sub contractors set OUR rates

You can set the rates all you want. But if the customer (the DZ) doesn't give you the job, your rate just went to $0. Like a sub at a construction site, you are free to quote a very high rate,... but you probably won't get the job.

BTW, we still shoot film at my home DZ, but I know DZs where the pay to the camera flier went up a little when they went to digital stills. Sounds fair to me. It digital definitely costs more and takes more time. But only if your customer (i.e., the DZ) agrees, and taking an adversarial tone with your customer probably won't help your cause.

I am curious about your breakdown of your fee. Are you saying that you are getting $75 pay for video and stills? And what does the DZ get for their effort/work/risk?