USPA

DSE Testjumps after NAB

So we have the:

Panasonic AG-HMC150
Red's Scarlet
Maybe others?

When will you jump them? :P
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

MB38 will have the Scarlet long before me.
I won't jump the Panasonic, more than likely. Their senior product marketing manager has a hard-on for me, as I was one of those that expose the HVX for what it isn't (as opposed to their marketing messaging) and they didn't like that very much. I get along great with their consumer division.:)
There is another camera you'll see at NAB. Plus, I've got the HC9 with me here in Eloy, was going to jump it today but the weather kept any loads from getting up.[:/]
Canon's Vixia's are ready to jump as well, but I have little hope for their stabilization system.

There is another camera you'll see at NAB.

Besides the Z7? (in handhelds)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I got two jumps in with the HC9, one a regular belly fly from an Otter, the other a hybrid from the Skyvan.
Jumped the RW group with no wide (this camera is pretty wide on its own) and other than the 4 way exit just -barely- being too big to fit the entire frame, the camera did really well. I was surprised at the sweetness. Stabilizer turned off.
Second jump, I had a Royal .5 on there, it was plenty wide. Unfortunately, Royal doesn't make a lens in the larger size of the HC9, so I had to use a step-up ring and got the dreaded vignette that I really, really hate. I've ordered a larger century optics for this camera, however.
No issues.
Shooting manual focus, exposure set to Beach, shutter speed at 1/120, XV on...looks great. I'll post a screen grab later.

Thanks for the info. I take it there is no lanc plug on it as well? Sounds good so far and from what I had read about it I would expect Sony's quality to continue. Giving it some serious thought now. I would look forward to yours , and any others, that may have more info about this camera as they come into use. I take it is a bit larger than the Cannons but did you find the weight an issue? Do keep up udated about the wide angle lens. Thanks again.

Unfortunately, Royal doesn't make a lens in the larger size of the HC9

Doesn't the HC9 have a 37mm thread? That's what the Sony site and their manual says.

Royal makes all their lenses in 25mm, 30mm and 37mm according to their website.

Am I missing something here?

I misspoke, yes, Royal *makes* one, but I didn't *have* one with me, so used a stepup ring.
Yes, the HC9 has a LANC. Other than being about 1/16 different in length, it's effectively the same body as the HC 3/5/7.
Laszlo, I haven't tried Xferrng from card yet, I'm doubtful but will check it. I picked it up from FedEx literally minutes before the first jump, and my examination of it was on the ride to altitude.

I got two jumps in with the HC9, one a regular belly fly from an Otter, the other a hybrid from the Skyvan.
Jumped the RW group with no wide (this camera is pretty wide on its own) and other than the 4 way exit just -barely- being too big to fit the entire frame, the camera did really well. I was surprised at the sweetness. Stabilizer turned off.
Second jump, I had a Royal .5 on there, it was plenty wide. Unfortunately, Royal doesn't make a lens in the larger size of the HC9, so I had to use a step-up ring and got the dreaded vignette that I really, really hate. I've ordered a larger century optics for this camera, however.
No issues.
Shooting manual focus, exposure set to Beach, shutter speed at 1/120, XV on...looks great. I'll post a screen grab later.

How does setting the shutter speed manually help the video?

Sounds promising, but I am still concerned about the IS. You mention that you had it turned off. But I would assume from this that the image is "shakier" (really,...that's a word...) than a good old electronic IS. Did you try it with IS on? If so, how did that work? Personally, I always jump with IS, and I wouldn't want to do without it. Could you elaborate?