skydivejersey

ZP EXE - any thoughts?

My wife jumped one for her first 100+ jumps off student status (170) and was very happy with it. The only complaint was the harder openings, which we're told, is not a normal thing. She flew a sabre 150 for a while afterwards and felt the ZP.exe 170 was a better performer than the sabre 150.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Don't like the exe that much - glides poorly compared to my hornet, turns seem quite quick though, and lands with a nice surf. It has dropped me about 100 feet near the ground though, but I managed to pull it back at about 10 feet. :S. I've flown my hornet 170 next to a friend on his exe 170 (me @ 1.2:1, him @ 1:1) and we've had similar forward speed but he was dropping away from me like a stone.

I've put about 160 jumps on a ZP EXE 170 in a Vortex II container, my 2nd rig since CAT10. I like it a lot, though I'd agree that when flying alongside other similarly loaded canopies I seem to loose height pretty quickly.

I don't roll the nose or do anything else fancy and I usually get nice soft openings, just occassionaly I get 180 openings? But can't figure what I'm doing thats different in my packing or opening posture.

If you get to take a look at the rig check out the grommets attached to the armoured cable which supports the cutaway cord and the yellow teflon cable. I've seen quite a few Vortex II's (mine included) where the grommets were badly pressed leaving a sharp edge which a rigger told me could cut through the cutaway loop. Apparently its a well known problem and if you take the rig to a dealer they should be able to order and fit a replacement FOC. I've also seen some new Vortex II rigs and they seem to have sorted this problem out.

All in all, I really like my ZP.EXE and Vortex II combo, though when I downsize I'll probably change to a PD Velocity. Tried one at a PD demo day and loved it. Much better glide from the PD and it seemed to have a bit more umph left at the end of the flare.

Hope this is helpfull.

I have a ZP exe 170 with about 50 jumps on it. Yes, it DOES loose alitude faster. Something to do with the angle of the wing.

It also out flies the Sabre in my opinion. SWEEEEEETTT flares and swoops. Just make sure you have a good spot or deploy higher ;-)
Grounded?!?!?! Whadda ya mean I'm "GROUNDED"?!?!?!?!

From the comments here....ZP EXE doesn't seem to be as impressive as my Hornet 170 and I would at least like something comparable. Maybe a Sabre 2 - 170 put into the rest of the package I was offered (Vortex II container and 170 decelerator res). I'm not overly fussed about the performance of the reserve (just want something that will get me down!)

Any thoughts on the Vortex II container?

Nig rig - shitty company. I have the Vortex II and have been jumping it for a couple of years now. Only complaint is that it's extremely tight to close and the above mentioned service.

If you can handle the poor customer service it'll treat you well. That said I hear that the Vortex II prices have gotten so high that the rig price is comparable to US gear....in which case I'd chose something along those lines, better manufactured and better service (depending on who of course).

As for the reserve - I had an absolute BANGER on my terminal ride but it held up great so no complaints there.

Blue skies
Ian

We have plenty of Sabre2's at our DZ. None of them show any signs of reacting worse to turbulence than any other canopy at the dz.

As for front riser input, the brake lines are normally set shorter for "regular" jumpers which causes the poor front riser performance. Simply lengthen the brakes until there is no buckling when pulling down a front riser.
Scott Miller actually competed and didn't do too badly at all under a Sabre2 at the Ranch pond swooping (2 years ago I believe).

Blue skies
Ian

I've had a vortex II for about a year or so and have put about 80 jumps on it. The build quality is excellent for the price. some people turntheir noses up at them but its not justified as they are very well put together. I'd have no problem recommending one!

Hi Jersey,

I've got the exact same rig. Sweetest openings, flies like an angle, but a little problematic on the packing because the material is very slippery. But I love my exe, she's the best.
Feel free to pm me if you need more info.

Gene Police: "YOU!! Out of the pool, NOW!!!"