JSE

Whats next from Sony?

Anyone have any inside info on what cameras sony is coming out with next? (Seems like they are about due for a new lineup) I was thinking about getting a new setup for next season, but I’m not really impressed with the video options currently available.

In terms of formats, they're already all out.
In terms of new products, you've got about another 40 days before you hear about the new products that use the already-existing formats. SD DV is officially soon dead in the Sony consumer world, however. No more DV cams to be manufactured after mid year 2008.

Was hoping for a side-mountable HD cam. Something like an hc5 in a pc1000 form factor with suitable image stabilization for skydiving. Probably not the only one who wants this either. 40 days isn't too long to wait to find out i guess

Canon has come out with a HD camera that looks like a PC350 dunno the name of it but one guy at work here is going to buy one.

It runs on DVD tape as well.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I clicked on the link to have a look at it, and in the explanation of the features, one of them (the DIGIC or whatever) shows a skydiving pic as an example.

Not saying it good for skydiving, just thought the irony was funny.

haha...yes this is funny... see attached

HI! I`m actually new to all this camera stuff[:/]. Next season I`m gonna start with camera jumps and therefore I`m searching for a good setup. I have searched a lot in this forum and found lots of posts, but not really an answer to my problem.
So the question is between sony hc5 and cx7 - according to the future what will be the better choice?
I really like the cx7 but there seem to be some problems: cameye and AVCHD. So what do you think?

Been hoping Sony would drop a new HD cam at CES...this $800 Panasonic HDC-SD9 looks promising with 1080p and 3CCDs recording onto a 32GB SD Card (hours of HD footage). It looks smaller than the CX-7 and definitely sidemountable, but the OIS worries me for freefall...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/06/hands-on-with-panasonics-new-hdc-sd9-1080p-camcorder/
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&itemId=215166&modelNo=Content01052008070307494&surfModel=Content01052008070307494

This Samsung SC-HMX20C does 1080p at 30fps or 60 fps to 8GB of internal flash and has an SD card slot as well. Also has a 300fps for 10sec feature that could be fun. Pretty tiny CMOS sensor, though (1/8 inch).

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/06/samsung-cranks-out-1080p-flash-camcorders/

Well it looks like Sony has introduced 16 or so handy cams at CES, but none that record to flash. I'm looking to compare the Samsung and Panasonic flash HD cameras to the Sony CX7 for my next camera. I wonder if the CX7 will support Sony's new 16GB memory stick...that'd be two hours of HD recording....

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/06/sony-cranks-out-too-many-camcorders-to-count/

Spot,
the announcement for the new Sony cameras mention that they have a hybrid recording mode that will allow them to record to the memory stick. do you know if this would allow us to use just the memory stick in these cameras for skydiving? or is the CX7 still the only choice?
Thanks

Anyone take a look at the new SD cameras. They look narrow and are extremely inexpensive: DCR-HC52 is only $249.99. May not be a bad choice for someone wanting to side mount and be part of the action. Probably will not be super great quality, but may be a decent replacement for the PC101 consumers out there. Link.

Edit: added dim: (WxDxH)
HC52: 63x85x115mm
PC120: 57x118x113mm

Anyone see this in person? I am unable to make it to CES this week :( had a ticket and all...

HYPOXIC