x-claim

Sony CX7 I bought one...

The best thing is the lack of real time capture!!!
Just put the stick in the computer and copy the files over in a fraction of the time.

I have just brought a CX7 and find it takes longer than real time to import into iMovie 08.

I am filming in HD highest quality, am I missing something?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Nope. iMovie/Apple has to convert the file first. Unlike a PC, Apple cannot use the native format that AVCHD camcorders produce.

What is the reason for that DSE?

Is it likely that Apple will be able to support the native format?

Am I better of using Bootcamp/XP/Vegas for the time being?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

It may be a while before Apple supports AVCHD natively, just as the platform doesn't manage HDV natively either. It can convert to the proprietary format on the fly when capturing tape, but some of the benefits of file-based format work are lost in the conversion requirements. Conversions will only get faster and faster, of course....

I knew when I bought it that the specs said no input recording. I went thru the manual again and the specs, there is no mention of the cappability to record an incoming video stream any place. I hooked up the camera to the docking station and laptop and tried to copy previously downloaded videos from the camera back onto the memory stick, the files were copied, but when you open the Picture Motion Browser, the camera has no idea that the files you copied from the computer to the memory stick are there. you can manually copy the files off the memory stick.
bottom line, this camera is not going to function very well for collecting video at the end of day from others, you wont be able to hook a cable up to their camera and record on the CX7, if you want to download the files from a computer you might as well eject the memory stick and insert it in a card reader and copy the files to a new folder on the memory stick, that way you don't have to haul around the docking station.
What I would like is a cable that would connect from the 10 pin d connector on the CX7 to the 10 pin d connector on my HC85, this would allow me to get video from others via firewire and via the d connector from someone with another CX7 when there is no computer available.

the reason for the D to D cable is it is a cleaner connection than a cable to adapter to cable, it eliminates the two connections. the make a female S-video to Female S-video that could be used instead of the rca video connection in your picture. I am going to get one of them to use, but the wish is for a single cable.

It may be a while before Apple supports AVCHD natively, just as the platform doesn't manage HDV natively either. It can convert to the proprietary format on the fly when capturing tape, but some of the benefits of file-based format work are lost in the conversion requirements. Conversions will only get faster and faster, of course....

Doug;
When you import AVCHD footy on to an apple machine, in FCS, do you import it using the ProRes codec or the Apple Intermediate? Is there a difference in quality or in uncompressing time? What is the FASTEST workflow with AVCHD in FCS?

BTW: When you say it may be awhile, are you talking a few months, or what (best guess)?

Thanks!
pope

Some NLE's can write back to the AVCHD camcorders, others can't. Depends on how the NLE writes the stream.
I haven't yet attempted to copy from one CX7 to another over USB, both of my CX7's are out on loan for manufacturers designing accessory components. Wait'll you see what's coming:D

Do you have any info on boxes for the CX7 other than Cookie?

I don't know what Roxio has in terms of editing support, but Roxio does support BURNING of AVCHD files.
Windows Movie Maker didn't have support for AVCHD as of Xmas, but I haven't looked since that time.
Sony Vegas
Pinnacle Studio
Canopus Edius
Final Cut Express/iMovie
Ulead Movie Studio

All support AVCHD

I don't know what Roxio has in terms of editing support, but Roxio does support BURNING of AVCHD files.
Windows Movie Maker didn't have support for AVCHD as of Xmas, but I haven't looked since that time.
Sony Vegas
Pinnacle Studio
Canopus Edius
Final Cut Express/iMovie
Ulead Movie Studio

thanks for the info

All support AVCHD

Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Got a cx7 the other day and have an apple mac

I have found the easiest and fastest way to dump all my video if i need my card is onto my PS3. also had to get the upgrade for final cut hd express $100 but if you only have an entry level laptop you might want to look at a desktop.
.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

Ok I bought the Sony Vegas movie platinum 8.0 Wow is all I can say it will be awhile before I know how to use this the right way. LOL Here is something I did just messing around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBACeRikJp4

I would like to know how to use the slit screen right off the bat any help would be cool thanks

What do you mean "it'll take me a while til I learn this??" You did GREAT w/the balloon vid, Ozzy.
In that, you could have made you title screen after you'd set up your project, and that way the edges would n't be seen...

Split screen:
Track 2 has first video, use Track Motion (in the track header) to slide to left or right.
Track 3 has second video, use Track Motion to slide to opposite side of above track.
Track 1 has titles or whatever else.
Very easy, very fast.
Congrats!

not sure if i understood that but i think i knoe what you are talking about. Going to freeze fest tomorrow so I will use the footage from that to try it out. Thanks again for your help :)
Jerry