x-claim

Sony CX7 I bought one...

I have had a CX7 (for those of you who don't know, it is the new camera that records to memory stick) for a few weeks now.
I bought it to replace my HC40 which I didn't trust in the dusty environment that is Tanzania cos it is minus all the moving parts that break!!!
So far have only used it recording in SD which it records as mpegs. However I have watched the AVCHD format on an HD tv and the difference is mind blowing!
Navigation within the camera is great, as you can flick through the clips without the need to rewind and there is no danger of recording over vital video.
I have 2 4GB cards and swap between them and just put them into the memory stick slot on the computer.
I have also just bought sony vegas 8 which supports the AVCHD format, even though I will still be editing in SD.
The only downer is the lack of a lanc port, but oh well, just hit the record button, it's not as big a deal as I was initially concerned about.
The camera is light and side mounts without a hassle.
At the moment I just have mine on a home made L bracket on my cookie mxv, but i have emailed cookie and they are working on a box for it, which i will buy as soon as it comes out.
Everyone that i have shown has said that it will be their next camera!!!
You can still edit via a mixing board if that is your thing as it plays the clips back to back as well.
The best thing is the lack of real time capture!!!
Just put the stick in the computer and copy the files over in a fraction of the time.
It also has a good piece of software that allows you to archive the footage to DVD which works out a hell of a lot cheaper than keeping DV tapes!!!

I will eventually get around to chucking something that i have shot with it on youtube, and i will post a link here when i do.

But in the mean time i would recommend it!

After dinking around with my CX7, there is a sort of a remote control through the AV cable, it's just hidden in the "D" shaped A/V connector. Think it's time to order a cheap import A/V cable to cut into bits. Shouldn't be a lot of trouble to mod a cable to have a minijack on it.
I'll report back once I/if I figure it out.

High Definition:
XP = up to 30 min.
HQ = up to 55 min.
SP = up to 65 min.
LP = up to 85 min.

I don't know about SD, haven't tried it. I can't see any reason for it, because in SD modes, DV would be a better option.

Found the info on SD.
Standard Definition:
HQ = up to 55 min.
SP = up to 80 min.
LP = up to 160 min.

Hey man I am happy to hear that you happy with the CX7 do you know if it is compatiable with imovie or final cut express??? Its awesome that I have imovie HD but with no camera to support it WTF!!!!! Hopefully you have part of the answer! And is there anyway you could cut an AV cable and switch ends with the lanc to make the cameye work?>

CX7 Superbadsteph is my gal can you please respond to pathfinder4ca with regards to the CX7, i didnt realize she was stilll logged in and i wrote the note on here...........so she wont have a clue what you cats are talking about....so what do you think cats?
REMEMBER! If your not living on the edge..... your taking up too much space!

.. do you know if it is compatiable with imovie or final cut express??? Its awesome that I have imovie HD but with no camera to support it WTF!!!!!

From Sony.com.au

"Intel Mac Compatible (Final Cut Pro 6.0.1 & iMovie '08)
Users of Intel Macs (Final Cut Pro 6.0.1 & iMovie '08) can import AVCHD footage captured with this Handycam into their project for editing."
Pandemonium on Youtube

After dinking around with my CX7, there is a sort of a remote control through the AV cable, it's just hidden in the "D" shaped A/V connector. Think it's time to order a cheap import A/V cable to cut into bits. Shouldn't be a lot of trouble to mod a cable to have a minijack on it.
I'll report back once I/if I figure it out.

DSE,

Just for clarification... your intended purpose for installing the minijack is to provide a place to plug in a cameye?

DSE,

Just for clarification... your intended purpose for installing the minijack is to provide a place to plug in a cameye?

Yes. It doesn't provide voltage out, so an indicator isn't going to happen, but there is always a pocket mirror.

but there is always a pocket mirror

Invest in what is known as a "lipstick mirror". They are tiny mirrors that stick to the end of a womans lipstick tube and fit nicely on Neptunes/altimeters.They work great for checking your record light.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Invest in what is known as a "lipstick mirror". They are tiny mirrors that stick to the end of a womans lipstick tube and fit nicely on Neptunes/altimeters.They work great for checking your record light.

So dose a $2.50 to $3.50 photocell "cameye" you can get all the parts at radio shack to build one, we used them for many years before the fancy factory build one came on the market, keeps you from having to record your hand and mirror while you look for your rec light.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I posted a skydiving video on Youtube a couple months back when we were testing it.
Search under VASSTTRAINING.
Audio in the pre-production model wasn't working correctly, in the shipping model the audio must be attenuated. It's always 5.1 mode, which makes it different than what you're used to.

doesnt look bad... would you use all the time for the tandems?

Next year, probably. I've budgeted a couple grand for a fast 'puter next season, and being able to quickly transfer the vid will be a huge bonus for me. Having spent an entire day with the CX7 (8 tandems) and my semi-older laptop, I'm loathe to recommend it to anyone. The single-thread, 1.83GHz proc couldn't render video as fast as it manages DV (as expected) and so what time I saved in transfer, I mostly lost in render to MPEG. AFAIK, we're the first DZ to offer Blu-ray in the world, and while we've only had one request for BD, next year I expect we'll have a few, so the new system also will have BD on it. We charged a high premium for it, and was surprised to have even one taker this year. We'll see what next year brings.
Anyway, unless you've got a FAST 'puter, AVCHD isn't the answer for you.

Well...there is one benefit to the CX7 if you want to work between HD and SD, and that is that you can have an extremely lightweight cam on your head, and transfer the footage via analog. It's still real-time transfer, however, but the footage is incredibly good. Better than any SD camcorder you can wear. And...no tape costs.

The light weight and no tape cost is what is inspiring me. I will miss my cam eye, though. To think that my new 30D (or 40D if Santa is really nice this year) will be significantly heavier....

Blu-ray burner equipped computer is coming soon, too. I'm seriously considering selling off one of my children to afford all the toys I'm soon to acquire.

I might be wrong, but I believe we're the first DZ to offer BD (Blu-ray) discs of a skydive, and while it's not the most popular thing, did my second one today. Some folks are willing to pay thru the nose to get one.
Cam-eye sort of thing is a two part process with this camera, I believe. Start/stop is via the A/V switch (I hope to have something really simple as soon as weather grounds us for a couple days) and there are several options for recording indicator.
AFAIK, this is the lightest camcorder money can buy. And they're cheap by comparison.
The 40D is definitely heavy, especially with a 15mm lens on it.

My big thing with the Cameye is the record indicator. The switch is nice and I like being able to to switch the camera to standby for the bulk of the ride up (inflight interview otherwise), but I don't see any real issue reaching up to hit a record button. Although I still wish Sony would keep putting the LANC port on their cameras.

As far as weight, that's the internal debate I'm having on still cameras. XT(i) Rebels are by far lighter, but are they as durable? I like the sturdier design on the 30D (haven't played with a 40D yet, but the suped up features sure look nice on paper).

Okay. Enough hijacking....

I guess I need to figure out the record indicator for the CX7 because I'm 99% sure that is my next vid camera. DSE, are you FTP guy? I'm just wondering if you've tried topmounting the CX7 with a still camera next to it yet. It would be nice to have everything top mounted and use the front still bracket for a camera flash.

Thanks for blazing the trail for us DSE!