jtval

Shooting in RAW

If you have photoshop cs1 or cs2 you need the camera-raw plugin downloadable on adobes website. Maybe you have the plugin, but your camera is not supported. You can find out if you camera is supportet by a newer plugin on adobes website also....
With the plugin and my 20d it works fine.

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

As someone else mentioned, if you have a recent camera (I have a 400d / Xti) and Photoshop CS2 or earlier, your RAW plugin will not be up to date.

I downloaded Camera RAW 3.6 from the Adobe website (for nothing), replaced the previous plugin with the unzipped file (about 5.3MB) and was good to go.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

You can down load Digital Photo Professional for free from Canon's web site. This is Canon's own software to work with RAW files (any digital canon model)
It will do everthing what can be done with RAW format. Easy to use too.
-Laszlo-

As I recall, you have to have DPP already on the hard drive to run the installer program.

jtval - if you're using photoshop, just get the appropriate version of Camera RAW for your camera / ps version. It's easier.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

yes, that's true. Another option (still free) is downloading "rawshooter essentials" (something like that). Someone posted that one a while back. I tried and now really like it.

I thought that wasn't available anymore, since Adobe bought them out?

It's not a bad program, but I still prefer Adobe Camera Raw... or now, Lightroom... you're going to have to do SOME post-processing anyway, on RAW files...capture sharpening and a bit of a contrast boost at a minimum.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I actually think RSE was better than earlier Adobe offerings. and more to the point it was free rather than a $hit load of cash.
Having said that - i have a copy of PSCS3 now and its impressive. I'm not convinced about lightroom yet.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I actually think RSE was better than earlier Adobe offerings. and more to the point it was free rather than a $hit load of cash.
Having said that - i have a copy of PSCS3 now and its impressive. I'm not convinced about lightroom yet.

Agreed, with the comparison of RSE to early versions of ACR.

Lightroom is interesting, especially the new 1.1 update. I'm still playing with it, but it looks to be almost a 'one stop shop' for processing RAW files, if you've got good sharp shots. I'll probably keep it.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the lightroom basically copy your raw files into another folder (i'm sure there's an option to turn that off) so it doubles what you have on your hard drive? And, isn't it only good for printing? The verion I had, there wasn't an option to save/convert what you just worked with. I didn't like it.
my pics & stuff!

correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the lightroom basically copy your raw files into another folder (i'm sure there's an option to turn that off) so it doubles what you have on your hard drive? And, isn't it only good for printing? The verion I had, there wasn't an option to save/convert what you just worked with. I didn't like it.

No, you can import from where the pics currently reside.

Only good for printing? Where did you get that idea from? The 'develop' module lets you do everything that you could in ACR (and some more stuff). You can also export files as JPGs or send them to PS for further work.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

maybe cuz I'm slow I guess. I had the first beta version, and after working the raw files, there was no option to convert/save. Just print. I looked and couldn't find anything to let me do that...maybe I just missed it.

Well, as I said, I tend to import the file into PS for other actions (final sharpening and the like), so I've not messed about with it. With that said, I'm 90%+ sure that you can export as a JPG....
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

....why use PS for sharpening...are the other programs shitty when it comes to this step? Do you get loss of quality when you sharpen on lower end programs?

Oh boy... when you shoot JPG, the camera applies contrast adjustments, a tone curve and sharpening. In shooting RAW, none of that happens, and RAW shots need a bit of capture sharpening.

Lightroom and other RAW processors have the capability to do the capture sharpening, but ALL photos can still benefit from a bit of local contrast enhancement, and output sharpening dependent on the output device (inkjet, photolab, etc.) - it can really make a photo 'pop' out of the page at you.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706