skip

Old Style Dyter

I am looking for an audible but do not have the mony for a pro track etc. I have seen the old style dyters for sale here and there for a price I can aford. Can anyone tell me a little about these old style dyters. Do they only have only one alarm and can you set this? Are they worth say 50 bucks or so? Will they fit into todays standard audibly pockets (although I will be atachign mine to a pro-tec for the time being)?

Thanks for any opinios on the older style dyters.

.:skip

Yes, there is no reason you cannot use a dytter .....
Age has nothing to do with a product that does it's task, only care, wear and tear and a new battery now and again.........

What you pay for one is up to you and the seller.....
Perhaps you will learn that "somebody else's opinion really doesn't fill your purse...."

Cheers and contact me if you cannot find what you seek.......I'll be glad to connect you with a unit....
CRWBUDDHA

Well I can tell you new they used to cost about $175. I bought 2 used and payed about $40 a piece and I'm very happy with what I have. It woudl be nice to have a pro-track but the money saved is a lot of jumps. Yes they have only one warning altitude and they do that well.

"Can anyone tell me a little about these old style dyters."

They work just fine.

"Do they only have only one alarm and can you set this?"
Yes one user defined alarm, turn it anti clockwise till it beeps (calibrates to zero), then turn it clockwise for every 1000 ft, you pass one pimple on the body, so you can set it for just about any height you wish to choose.
There is no 'flatline'.

"Are they worth say 50 bucks or so?"
Absolutely, I'd say 50 bucks represents reasonable value for money.

"Will they fit into todays standard audibly pockets (although I will be atachign mine to a pro-tec for the time being)? "

They are about the same size as a prodytter/protrac, they will fit quite nicely inside a protec (I suspect Madds and Nills had this in mind when they designed it). They have thread holes in the body, so for extra security, pass a piece of break tie or fishing line through one of the holes to make a 'leash'and tie the wee thing to the ear hole 'bars' on the protec. This means you can set the thing etc, and not have to worry about losing it.

"Thanks for any opinios on the older style dyters."

Your welcome.B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I used one for a year or so before I got a protrack. They work well, as others have said you get one warning altitude.
These are a simpler design, with less electronics. Basically they are a tunable diaphragm that you set to trigger the BEEP at a given pressure (altitude).
They will continue to beep as long as they are at that altitude. I had one jump where I had set mine warn at 3000 for a 3-way. Once we started climbing (we got to about 5000) the clouds moved in and we had to decend to get under the clouds.
So, to make a long story of it – we ducked below the cloud deck and flew jump run at 3000 ft. My ditter kept going and going and going, for about 3 minutes as the pilot flew around trying to find a suitable “slot” in the clouds to drop us out.

Not really a problem with the ditter, just a funny story that still makes my cringe at the thought of listening to BEEP BEEP BEEP for 3 f*n minutes.

edit to add
BTW I paid $25 for mine with dead batteries included. New batteries cost about $5

Another good low cost option is an older Timeout audible... It only has one pre-settable altitude, but it has two additional beep modes at 2500 and 1500 feet which are fixed... I paid $50 dollars for mine. In fact, someone has one listed now in the classified sections...

I bought mine without any documentation, and someone on this site was kind enough to scan and email me the doc's, so I have a copy if you end up needing them...

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."