RkyMtnHigh

Tandem Videos

i like to use instrumentals if possible

choose your own tempo, style and VOLUME:o

becouse songs with lyrics or certain titles MAY work ok with some of the video but often there are other times when the lyrics and the visuals Don't mesh... i guess that good editing is needed then,,,
tom petty is a good example of that...same with vanhalen's jump...
Our club offers almost 100 titles, to choose from, for those who come without music,,,
( each camera person was issued 5 different music cds)...
But i will certainly use any CD a student may want.
and there are ALOT of different tastes, when it comes to music.
How many tandem videographers out there . use only One Cd track, and how many use 4 or 5???.. I tend to use the students 2 choices but then also add cuts of tracks which I think work well for jumping videos....

J

The music should be what the customer wants, not what you like. ;)

I might ask what type of music they like, but try to stay away from specific song request since I might not have it available. If they ask for country, I'm sure I don't have anything:ph34r:

Anything but Tom Petty. ;)

Personally, I like ...
Gnarles Barkley "Crazy"
Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff
U2

I was being sarcastic, I am sick of Tom Petty. Unfortunately Tom gets requested alot. Hey, its their video.

I thought so, ;) but I'm like you -- it is there video. Here in Okiehoma we get request for Tim McGraw's "Live like you were dying" a lot. shudder.

steveOrino

The music should be what the customer wants, not what you like. ;)

I might ask what type of music they like, but try to stay away from specific song request since I might not have it available. If they ask for country, I'm sure I don't have anything:ph34r:

I hate when people don't ask for specific songs. I can get almost anything thanks to the internet / itunes / etc. I hate picking music for people because I can only pick for my taste, not thiers. I also don't "get it" when it comes to what music is what genre or even what is considered "good" music for a genre.

And I really really like music, it drives my mood a ton. So it isn't like I just never listen, cause I do all the time.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

People don't know what they want under their tandem-videos, you do.
They haven't seen 100's of 'em, you have.

Every tandem-vidiot has his routine (you know like all tandem videos look a bit alike because you take this shot, than that shot, ... Not saying you won't be creative, but you will have pre-editted the video before shooting the first shot, and most of your videos will be around the same length with a beginning, a middle and an end)

I think the best thing is to pick music of which you know 99% of your customers will like.

Make a selection where you have options, so if a group of 4 comes in you don't give all of them the same music.

I'm still doing old-fashioned analog editting because this is the fastest, and I have a Minidisc attached to my mixing panel. I have 2 Minidiscs filled with 4-song series (I use 4 songs for every video).

I made this selection so that I can look at someone and decide which 4-song sequence I will use (for example you want to give an 18-year old different music than a 55-year old because chances are their taste will be different)

When shooting tandems professionally you want to be prepared to work quickly, and still give each customer a high-quality and semi-personalised product. With my modus operandi I am able to do that (or at least i presume to).

Example of a 4-song sequence: (this one you can almost use for anyone, hence a bit corny ;) )
-Counting crows: Mr Jones (everything up to boarding)
-Lenny Kravitz: Get Away (in the plane)
-3 Doors Down: Kryptonite (freefall)
-Moby: Extreme Ways (under canopy and landing)
"Don't make me come down there" - God.

My site:http://www.skystudio.nl/video.html
Some of my vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/TomSkyStudio

Nah, go with a lilst of songs you have available and ask them what they like. If there is some song that is a song that is likely to be requested agai, add it to your list.

if they choose some crazy song you've never heard of and its from a latin hermaphrodite, you can probably assume it won't be requsted again.:ph34r:
My photos

My Videos

How long are your videos?...you have time for four songs?.....I'm doing good to stretch out two!:D..which includes interview/intro..and slow-mo, jump and canopy/landing..

About 8-9 minutes.
With people paying 95 euro's for video and stills I figure I owe them that. I don't want to make 'em any longer because then they would become boring for family members on birthday parties...
"Don't make me come down there" - God.

My site:http://www.skystudio.nl/video.html
Some of my vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/TomSkyStudio

What the customer wants isn't always good for the video....You gotta make then happy but you also want to make sure the video is good. If the pick some really crappy songs I try and help them pick stuf a bit more appropriate for the situation. It's their video but my name is also on the finished product and they're going to show it to a hundred people who are potential future customers. Some crappy music on a video can soetimes take a relly nice video and make it hard to watch. I've had a few people that absolutely had to have this crappy music and then they call you up a week later and want diffrent musiic. There's def a compromise you have to make.

People don't know what they want under their tandem-videos, you do.
They haven't seen 100's of 'em, you have.

Yeah that is the problem to me. I have seen 100s of them and I am bored with the music. I let them pick so they are happy. I have found that I am capable of making almost any music go ok with a video and that the customer just wants to hear something they like. The very few times I have picked music the person has not liked it. "You picked the wrong song of xyz genre I hate that song" and so I dislike picking music.

The customer is always right. They can't bitch if they pick it.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I always pick the music, unless they have something in mind and ask for it i'll try to let them know if i think it will go with there video or not. I try to feel people out personality , age,male or female .I get a lot of raving about my video's being so awesome. So i must be doing something right. My 2cents

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I had interest in tandem and aff videos and music choreography a few years ago...but didn't think that I would like the video/music editing quite this much...it's freakin' awesome!!! Fun! Fun!!

I'm enjoying playing with the fading in/out of the tunes and slo-mo of the video at certain times..and customizing music based on the personalities...I'm enjoying being the DJ..or should I say VJ?;) Yeah I know...PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC WHITE GIRL!!! LOL;)