damonsteele

Using a diffuser

Have never used one with skydiving but in general, the point is that you reduce the harsness of the flash and give it a much softer feel. It can help if the subject you are shooting has high glare surfaces.

There are some really good books on photography that go over a lot of that.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Most diffusers that fit to a flash head, work best when combined with bouncing the light, not an option in the sky unless you've a camera assistant flying the reflector slot, or maybe use a cloud :S:D

The built in flip over ones are there primarily for when using wide angle lenses, but however you soften your light there's a drop in output so your batteries wil be working harder, something to consider.

The first thing I woukd try would be a stofen omnibounce a secure fit over the flash head and there's a slight but noticeable softening when used as direct flash, but unless you can bounce you light its always going to be on the hard side.

:)
but what do I know

That's exactly what I've done. I hired a noob cameraflyer to hold the reflector. They're so easy! But seriously, I have fitted a Sto-Fen OmniBounce over a 550EX. It will be interesting to see how this works.

This weekend should provide ample opportunity to test it out. I will post pics as soon as I have some.

You should ask Freefly Mike. He does take great pictures. He uses the built in flap type diffuser that is on his 580EX. Not the slip on type you buy separately. He said he shoots with the wide end of his 10-22mm. I think he was using 14mm (so 20mm conventionally), sometimes even wider. Maybe merely to diffuse the light for the wide angle coverage. (I am pretty sure not for the bouncing purpose, though.) You should ask Mike this weekend.

Contrary to a previous post, I never see diffusers used in bounce mode. Quite the opposite, I usually see them used in close-up situations when there is nothing to bounce off of (outdoors, red carpet walks, outdoor press conferences, etc.). The idea is to diffuse the light to the maximum extent (sans bounce). Which, as pointed out previously, reduces the direct output of your flash. If you have a good bounce surface (large, close and white) you get much better light diffusion.

BTW, the "flip-up" diffuser mentioned previously is a "catchlight" reflector. Typically it is used in addition to bouncing the flash to get a little of the direct flash back at the subject's eyes for that "twinkle in the eyes" look. My flash doesn't have one of those, but I usually rubberband a small white card (actually my printed photo assignment) to the back of the flash for the same, although less convenient, effect. IMHO, neihter of these items has an application in freefall.

The only exception to what I've written is that Norm Kent uses a Metz flash that looks like it has a large diffuser on it. I am guessing it is to simply give a wider flash output to a flash that otherwise doesn't have this wide a capability, but I really don't know about this particular flash unit (I am sure you can google or BH it).

BTW, the "flip-up" diffuser mentioned previously is a "catchlight" reflector. Typically it is used in addition to bouncing the flash to get a little of the direct flash back at the subject's eyes for that "twinkle in the eyes" look.

That's not what the other poster is talking about...

on the 580 ex flash there is a wide angle diffuser that is designed to additionally diffuse/defocus the light when shooting with a wide angle lens... I believe that I read it is for use with as wide as a 14 mm lens.

you are thinking of a "catchlight" and the 580 ex does have one built in... and a white index card will work as a viable substitute.

I have noticed in direct flash shots that having a just a basic over the end diffuser (Like this one) does seem to soften the light at least a little bit compared to not having it.

edited to add: I'm no where near a professional but I did RTFM (as well as bought a book all about using flash photography) :P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

On the 580 flash there's two "little thing" The small white card is for close ups where no reflective surface (light colored walls) to utilize bounce. I don't say it's immpossible to use in free fall but must be very very difficult. The othe "flippy" thing is to make the flash's angle lot wider. Using that will cover 14mm of view (35mm format) and doesn't soften the light at all.
I would say the diffuser can be untilized for some very high end "free fall portraits". but it requires a dimmed light (like closer to sunset) since you'll lose a lot's of flash power so your camera exposure settings have to be lower too. Or just use the flash on full power on the regular bright day, but then you have to take a pictures within 3-4 feet and your flash will recycle 5-6 times during a skydive.
Or the other option is to brake your neck and mount 3-4 580 flashes on your helmet and use them together...
-Laszlo- www.laszloimage.com

The attached picture was taken with a 5D, Sigma15mm lens, and the 580 flash on half power with a "little flippy thing" to cover 14mm view.
...I'm only 4feet away from them!

As I said I use the "flippy thing" to cover a 14mm wide angle. But if you're useing an XT (or other model with the 1.6 factor) when you use a 15mm lens it will work as 24mm in 35mm format. So your flash should be set to 24mm. (if you want to have the whole image coverd...)
The problem normally comes when you take the shot and the closest person in the picture wears white and every one else farther in the back in black.
Very hard to balance it out. Normally I just expose it for the blacks so the white suit will be very bright (and hopefully not too much) and I fix it in a software.
But the best way to find out is to take a lot of shots with and whithout the diffuser. It's just like the camera setting, there's no one which works all the time. It's with the flash too.
-Laszlo-

dont forget a piece of gaffers tape to hold the bottom of the "flippy thing" down, otherwise you will lose your "flippy thing" and probably "flip out" when you getr the repair bill.

its only 80 bux but it still a pain.

(mine was lost in a windtunnel)

Hey. I found out recently that Lazzy is a nickname for Laszlo. Are you the Lazzy I met at Z-hills back in 2002? (I was with Lance and Donny).

Anyhow... Nice picture by the way.
Question: For 15mm diagonal fisheye lens (like canon’s and sigma’s) used with a full frame camera, can you still use 580EX with a diffuser to cover 15mm fisheye view? "Other than" a fill flash purpose. (Looking at your picture, surely it works that way.) Like for sunset load pictures. Do you get darkened edges? I was just thinking, because 15mm fisheye covers more than 14mm rectilinear lens.

Yes this is the dude you met at Z-hills in 2002.
No I don't get darkened edges with 580 and 15mm combination. It covers it for good. You'll might see pictures on my web site www.laszloimage.com where the corners of the photos are darker, but those are in purpose. I like that "trick" when I use my 15mm lens but the flash is set to 24mm.
So the center of the image lit up (and mor flash power concentrated) and everything around it is darker.
See the attached pictures.
-Laszlo-