PROGRESSIVE

FINDING THE HACKEY AT PULL TIME...WHERE IS IT?

I RECENTLY GOT BACK INTO THE SPORT AFTER BEING OUT OF IT SINCE 1985. I WAS JUMPING A RAPID TRANSIT SYSTEM, PIONEER MERLIN AND A 26 FOOT PIGLET RESERVE (WHICH I HAVE A COUPLE OF RIDES ON).

I AM NOW JUMPING A JAVELIN ODYSSEY THAT WAS BUILT TO MY MEASUREMENTS. IT HAS THE STAINLESS STEEL HIP RINGS AND A BOC HACKEY HANDLE. MY QUESTION IS THIS, HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF, OR HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE HACKEY GOING OUT OF REACH AT DEPLOYMENT TIME? I HAVE ALREADY HAD ONE TOTAL MALFUNCTION BECAUSE I WAS FUMBLING OVER THE HACKEY WITH MY FINGERTIPS, AND I COULD NOT GET A GRASP AT IT. AND THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL TIMES WHEN I FUMBLED, BUT EVENTUALLY GOT IT AT A LOWER THAN DESIRED ALTITUDE.

WHAT'S THE SCOOP ON THIS PROBLEM?

not to be cracking wise, but after reviewing your profile, you should know the answer to this one yourself, if you don't, how can you teach others the boc deployment method. that said, i always pull mine to where the whole hackey is hanging out of the spandex, never have had a problem finding it. good luck.

(stop SHOUTING) in your posts! ;)

--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

havent heard of the prob should be in gear and rigging plus.... that little button on the left side of you keyboard labled "caps lock" push it ...please!!!!!
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

Welcome back, gear has moved on a little huh? ;)
You may get better answers to this issue on the safety and training forum. Basically people will tell you that its all about muscle memory. Fret not, the solution is relatively simple, put the rig on, cinch it up etc, and lie face down on the floor, or bed whatever is comfy, now do those practise arch, reach pulls. I won't ask you to look for the hackey, chances are you can't see it. Practice, practice, practice, till you are confident, then do some more. Pretty soon your muscles will remember where the handle is (it will become second nature to you) and you can focus more on enjoying the experience.
Hackeys can burble around a little bit in freefall, so make sure when the pilot chute is packed that the mouth of the spandex is nice and tight, and only the hackey and the little tape attachment are showing.

If you are jumping unfamiliar or brand new kit, it's worthwhile doing some practice touches way up high in freefall, it will help you build confidence, and may save some frantic grabbing at pull time.

Once again, welcome back.B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

To find your hackey, use the same method we teach first freefall students: swing your right arm back with a big, open flat hand. Locate the corner of the container, then narrow in on the hacky handle.
There are two popular methods for finding BOC handles.
People with short arms tend to prefer laying their thumb on the side of the main container and sliding it down to the corner.
People with long arms often prefer fully extending their arm and slapping the corner of the container with the soft inner portion of their fore arm. Then they slide their hand up to the corner and start feeling for the BOC handle.
Hint, this whole process is easier to learn without gloves.

I got back in a couple of years ago, and also bought a Javelin. You just have to get used to looking. If, when you're on your belly (maybe on a creeper) simulating a pull, you can't reach the hackey you have a problem.

Try having someone try to move it to where you can't reach it when you're arched on a creeper. They shouldn't be able to. If they can, then maybe your shoulders aren't flexible enough, or maybe you're not used enough to looking in the right places for it.

Practice can handle the second of those, re-thinking where your hackey is can take care of the first. It might take moving the BOC mouth, or even getting a new (maybe longer) rig.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I RECENTLY GOT BACK INTO THE SPORT AFTER BEING OUT OF IT SINCE 1985. I WAS JUMPING A RAPID TRANSIT SYSTEM, PIONEER MERLIN AND A 26 FOOT PIGLET RESERVE (WHICH I HAVE A COUPLE OF RIDES ON).

I AM NOW JUMPING A JAVELIN ODYSSEY THAT WAS BUILT TO MY MEASUREMENTS. IT HAS THE STAINLESS STEEL HIP RINGS AND A BOC HACKEY HANDLE. MY QUESTION IS THIS, HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF, OR HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE HACKEY GOING OUT OF REACH AT DEPLOYMENT TIME? I HAVE ALREADY HAD ONE TOTAL MALFUNCTION BECAUSE I WAS FUMBLING OVER THE HACKEY WITH MY FINGERTIPS, AND I COULD NOT GET A GRASP AT IT. AND THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL TIMES WHEN I FUMBLED, BUT EVENTUALLY GOT IT AT A LOWER THAN DESIRED ALTITUDE.

WHAT'S THE SCOOP ON THIS PROBLEM?

Sorry for the caps.

Pete,

... THAT WAS BUILT TO MY MEASUREMENTS

last summer I had similar pleasure. My measurements were right, but the container still "hovered" few inches above me in freefall. When hanging myself head down (on the ground) the container went fairly over my neck...
The reason: lateral straps connecting hip rings to the container were made way too long. Finally, the manufacturer changed my whole harness/container to a new one. Good service.

Try this ground trick - maybe you have the same problem.
villem
life is what you make it to be
http://www.youtube.com/villu357
http://www.flickr.com/photos/skybound

I believe that perhaps the lateral straps are on the loose side, and my leg straps may not be cinched down enough to keep the rig from moving around on my back.

What is happening from time to time is when I am reaching back, the container is moving away from my reach. The harder I reach, the more it moves.
I've burned up some altitude reaching for it. Its a situation that can lure someone into and really get caught up in the moment, not realizing that there's not much altitude left.

I appreciate the comments...most of them anyway.

Blue skies!!!

I haven't had a problem with finding a BOC hackey, it's just that when I do, it likes to bobble around and play a game of "can't catch me", which I think is annoying. I have no problem at all with the standard plastic barrel handle. I mean as cool and slick as hackeys are, is this another example of style overcoming good sense ? I guess hackeys are OK for those who want them, but when I get my rig, I'm going for the good old orange barrel.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I have a trow out with a freefly pud that is really nice. stays right where I packed it and easy to grab. came as an option on the oddessey and I am sure that other rigs can be retro fit with one... if you can feel the bottom of the container then you can grab it..
-yoshi