Vman

Storing a packed rig!!

Greetings All
I was hopping you all could over a little feed back on the subject of storing a packed rig for extended periods. My inquiry is due to work commitments I some times do not get to jump for two to three months in which time my rig remains in a rig back stored.I do not put anything on top of it and it lays on a carpet in my bedroom closet as to address climate etc.
But on my last reserve pack in Eloy the rigger mentioned to open high because my main was a little hard due to being stored in a packed mode.
How should I store my rig for a few months and how should I treat my main on that first jump..air it prior too!!
Blue Ones
Vman

There have been a few threads on this subject, if you do a search or two I bet you'd find a lot of info. Here's what I got out of reading it.

From what I read, it's best to store your main unpacked in a couple black garbage bags. Make sure they're heavy duty, and then seal them with duct tape to protect them from any moisture etc. and store it in your closet. The black bags will keep any UV rays out, and since it's left unpacked, it's not retaining any specific shape. Although I don't think it's hurting your main to be stored for a few months at a time packed up in the container. Like your rigger said, open high on the first jump just in case.

You may not like what you hear, however, knowledge and experience isn't always convienent....However it is consistent.!

Unpack your canopies, fluff, air overnight, remove all rubberbands, flake canopies, daisychain lines and roll canopies.......store in separate plastic bags with dessicant for moisture.......(Remember to isolate metal parts where possible)

Airdry your container, brush, vaccum soiled areas, lubricate ripcord and riser cutaway cables......coil these separately along with your reserve PC and bridle freebag. (Isolate your AAD where the batteries are and be sure to bag it separately.......)

Pack these parts in a separate plastic bag with dessicant for moisture.

Fold up your container on natural folds and put into plastic bag with dessicant for moisture

Make every effort to isolate metal parts from fabric.

Now you have three plastic bags all nice and bundled, (still attached by the risers)........

Find a nice cool place up on a shelf in the dark of a closet or such and put the 3-bundle up there.........

Before your task is done, you might write down all the serial numbers, conditions of components, model numbers and descriptions of any thing you notice that is unusual..Date and sign the paper and keep it separate from your gear.........

When you return and wish to reinstate your gear to jumping condition, whom ever you select will have a better opportunity to evaluate your gear and recertify it's airworthiness.

Nylon is ADSORBIC..........it will draw any moisture from it's environment........and pool it.........moisture leads to bacteria > leads to mold > > and by the time you smell musty mildew.....

If you have any doubts or concerns about this information, you may look it up in any Rigger's Manual........or in the Owner's manual's of reputable manufacturer's under maintenance.......

Good luck on your work venture and look forward to your return to the fold......safe, more knowledgable and ready to fly...

Cheers mate,

CRWBUDDHA

B|

For two or three months I would leave the main unpacked but leave the reserve as is. If it's going to be a very long time I'd unpack the reserve as well. Cool, dry and dark are the keys for the environment you want to store it in, so attics and basements are out.

Hi Steve,
Have not seen you for a few months. How is it going? Or more pertinent, where is it/you going? Are you still playing with those fancy machines?
All the above advice is sound.
Your current storage methods are good for a few months. Modern rubber bands last for a couple of years.
However, if you will be on the ground for longer than a repack cycle, then follow buddy's advice about three plastic bags, desicant, etc.
You are welcome back to Pitt meadows any time.
riggerrob

From what I read, it's best to store your main unpacked in a couple black garbage bags.

I strongly suggest that you Do Not Use Garbage Bags for your gear!

They are actually treated with chemicals to aid in the faster decomposition of garbage. Do you really want those chemicals working on your canopy while its packed up in there?[:/]

There are other kinds of storage boxes & bags besides actual garbage bags. Use one of them if at all possible.

Yes I know the chemicals work slowly and probably wouldn’t really harm the canopy if its only in there a short amount of time but why even risk it?

FYI…Apparently lighter fluid is a great way to get Coke stains out of a canopy. (The canopy being mine, brand new with only 1 jump on it! Right on the white cells of course!)>:(

FYI…Apparently lighter fluid is a great way to get Coke stains out of a canopy. (The canopy being mine, brand new with only 1 jump on it! Right on the white cells of course!)>:(

You have got to be kidding.:| Do not use products containing naptha on your canopy.

I suggest you have the area where you used lighter fluid pull-tested by a rigger to make sure you haven't weakened the nylon too greatly.

You should only use a damp washcloth and, if needed, a little bit of gentle soap such as Woolite or Zero (Woolite for the Canucks) to clean your canopy.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Thanks but actually "I" didn't even touch it. The head rigger here at Cross Keys (PJ) is the one who cleaned it up for me.

I was nervous about using lighter fluid but he assured me that its perfectly safe. It dries right up and doesn't harm the fabric at all.

Re: the "lighter fluid"

I strongly suspect that the rigger use carbon-tetrechloride (an approved solution) or a more available product called Ever-Blum (also approved) both to sort of smeel like lighter fluid. If, however, the can was blue and white and said Ronson Lighter Fluid on it then I'd be VERY suspect of both the canopy and the person who applied the fluid. Anyone from Relative Workshop, PD or Aerodyne care to comment?

Maggot :ph34r: