bert_man

Microphones

I know microphones arent really photography, nor are they video. But bear with me.

I'm curious to know what one might expect to spend on a decent microphone, which would mostly be used to capture voices in a relatively calm, indoor/outdoor setting, that wouldn't record audio that sounds like it's coming out of a tin can.

It would be used mostly for interviews and voice-overs.

Also, if this mic were plugged into any old camcorder (or, say, an HC3?) would the quality suffer? do you need to have a good recording device to go with it?

-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

the biggest problem with trying to get good... aka... not like a tin can audio. out of a consumer camera is that they all have auto gain for their audio. [:/] if your camera has some form of input you can get around that by getting a small audio mixer to plug inbetween the camera and the mic (or mics). then just ride the audio levels yourself so you can cut out the ambient noise(s).

if you want that option on the run there are a handfull of manufacturers that sell through bhphotovideo.com and make smalle 2 channel mixers that attach to the bottom of your camera and have the mic level control knobs on them.

matt

well in proper wording HC3 does NOT have a mic input - though you can use some (very limited) makes of mics to attach via a hot-shoe or use a hot-shoe adaptor accepting jack/XLR input
hot-shoe is the worst thing Sony has produced ever (being second only to the docking station ):P

Lazlo,
the HC3 uses the Active Intelligent Shoe, which is really sweet for consumers that aren't producing anything really worth looking at, but for people looking to "produce" vid vs shooting pix of uncle Albert and his amazing suspenders...the AIS is incredibly stupid. Nothing can connect to it except Sony's junky consumer mics.
On a different side of the question, a guy on DVInfo.net has come up with a working hack to buy an AIS microphone and plug XLRs into it. Bear in mind though, you have zero level control, and you're limited by the built in limiter/gain system.

Hmmmm, I 'll send this thread to BASE 736. He bought some sweet stereo mics that are about the size of earphones. ($800 Cdn I think) and the sound is stellar! He mounted them on a Protec right above each ear. Gives great realistic sound and they don't start to distort until around 7-8 seconds in. They are sweeeeet!!

2 good examples.... http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=2552&string=Jason%20Cooper & http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1702&string=Jason%20Cooper

And remember this is compressed!
SabreDave

You might want to check out the custom micromics that Darren at Giant Squid manufactures. They sound incredible and are very small. But...like any other mic input to the HC 3, it requires some modding of the HC3 external mic housing.