xavenger

Got a HC3? Can you take photos whilst filming?

Hey

I have a HC3 and when I'm filming it only allows me to take a maximum of 3 photos. When filming stops it then copies those to the memory stick. It's as if, when filming, it can only store in the cameras own memory (buffer) and when thats full .. tough.

Is anyone else able to take more than 3 photos whilst recording and if so, was there anything special you did to accomplish that?

Thanks in advance

James

Xavenger

Have you managed to use the stills facility in the air? If so, how?

In answer to the other questioin on the thread.....the stills are 4 meg so they're good but not wet film good.

Regards

Paul
The probability of being observed is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions at the time!

How do you manage to have an external shutter release? Are using the cameras remote, or the LANC , or hacked into the HC3?
I just want to find out how could I use it with my bite-switch?
Thanks!
-Laszlo- www.laszloimage.com

If you use stock remote, you have to use Sony's remote. I'm *sure* there is a way to convert it to being a dual switch, one that can act like a Cameye and a bite switch at the same time, but I've not dissasembled one to see what it would require.

Anyone care to comment on this? How many photos does the HC3 take whilst recording on tape? Only three? :(

How about a sample or two pic in full resolution if possible?

If I can drop the heavy 1.3 kg Canon D20 stillcamera om my head, my neck would be pleased :P

You are correct about the buffer.

The others commenting about memory sticks etc don't know what they are talking about.

Also the stills taken while shooting video are of a lower quality than stills taken while not shooting video. But probably better than captures from the DV footage.

You are correct about the buffer.

The others commenting about memory sticks etc don't know what they are talking about.

Also the stills taken while shooting video are of a lower quality than stills taken while not shooting video. But probably better than captures from the DV footage.

"don't know what they're talking about?" Or maybe didn't completely comprehend the question. "Filming" meant something else to the way I read it.
Still captures during "filming" are 2MP. Still captures when not "filming" are 4MP, upsampled from a 2.1MP sensor. There is a significant difference in the quality of the two modes. However, even at 4MP, the images are only decent, good for small prints or web. You'll likely *never* see a video cam that can provide great stills, simply because of the differences in glass and sensor/imager size. Pretty hard for a 1/3" sensor to compete with a 1" sensor, and for a reasonably low end video glass to compete with a reasonably low end still cam glass. Somewhere in this forum are a couple of other threads that contain links to stills from both video/still mode and still-only mode.

Skydive auckland were doing this with their sony pc series. Their tandems were getting video and photo all from the same pc105 or whatever each had.
This was going on begginning last year.

And the quality was absolute crap and not worth paying for....

.... they now have had to purchase digital slr's
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

You are not wrong there but what i was getting at is if they were doing that with pc105's that are 1 MP stills while not filming the cameras that are coming out now are 2-4MP. Give it a year or two ad the stills while filming could pretty much be 7MP and that would take away the 'NEED' for a tandem camera man to have 2 cameras on his head.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store