Zoter

Drilling holes

I'm about to mount a camera (stills) mount to the flat top of my FF2 cam helmet
Any one care to share some 'practical tips' for drilling the mount holes through this carbon fibre helmet...(I am using a Cookie composites flatlok plate)
ie how to stop the carbon fibre weave splitting when drilling and should I postion the mount at the frot/middle/ or back of the flat top...
any and all comments appreciated...

i have have cut the head of a tiny nail off and put that as a drill bit. Us it to make a pilot hole then use a bigger bit.

Also put clear nail polish on afterward to seal it.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Make sure your cameras are no where near when you drill...carbon fibre dust can kill electronics. Doing this outside is even better.

Use something high speed, like a dremel, to make the holes...less likely to chip the epoxy and it cuts through the fibres better.

The carbon fibre shouldn't fray away from the hole, but you will likely have some fibres that still stick out into the hole...using a dremel will reduce those. Or you can trim them with an X-acto knife.

Use clear nail polish to seal the holes after you are done with them...same thing as when you drilled, you don't want carbon fibres getting into your cameras. Also do a really good job of wiping down any dust left on the helmet itself from the drilling.

I have an FF2 with a 20D mounted on top and my plate (Schumacher QuickShoe) is at the very rear of the flat spot on top...sits the weight of the still pretty much center on the helmet.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Hope this helps...
Miami

I will third the "use a dremel tool" advice. I did that when I set up my helmet and have helped a couple other people with it. Hell, its the only thing I have really used my dremel for. It is sitting in my dz locker right now even.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Haha, thought that might raise a little interest...

It's called a Camdom, made by Competition Helmets.

It's pretty nice, quality isn't too bad, and it is holding up great in freefall. I do suggest spending the extra $5 to get the second window on top...I'm constantly pulling mine away to check my shutter speed.
Hope that helps...
Miami

I'll throw in another recommendation for using a Dremel tool when drilling a helmet. They're great for the funky slots you'll need for cable ends and other stuff. If you have a shopvac, keep suction on the work area while you drill and your cleanup will be a lot simpler.

One thing you might want to do before you drill anything is load up the camera(s) you'll be using in whatever boxes/brackets you have, then tape them in place to find a balance point that you like. You can also eliminate a lot of potential snag hazards by easily modifying this temporary version of your final setup.

Have fun & take your time - you can always cut more later, but it's harder to put back! :D

Lance