dabase

Top Mount on the Optik Illustion Question...

You could put it in a dbox, put the camera on a quick release and mount that on top, or you could use a tri-pod screw and attach it that way. Look at some helmets at your dz and see how they did it. No sense in trying to re-invent the wheel.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

The other guys at the DZ all have side mounts. I use a top mount on my rig (paramount) and my Wife is getting the helmet so she can shoot video. I saw the GoldMember on BH's site.

We like the quick release but am wondering about horizontal movement if it gets bumped. I could put straps on it to hold it down tighter but will the padding keep it from swiveling left and right?

They make an anti-twist plate for a stroboframe (QRC-300) and i have heard very good things about it as far as stability. I have mine topmounted in a d-box but my still camera never twisted with a stroboframe mount. I don't have any experience with a goldmember but several people on here use them.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I use a stroboframe (QRC-300) on mine. You can get them cheap , brand new on Ebay. In fact I just bought 2 for a helmet project I am working on. One of the things I like about the Strobo is that it is quick and clean to mount cameras on and by buying additional plates for all of my cameras, I can quickly swap cameras out without having to unscrew anything.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have my video camera on top. Had a local metal shop make an aluminum metal L bracket that I screwed into the helmet as well as the camera. Also added a strap under the bracket and around the camera. Very lightweight and compact. Cost about $35.

Good advice here from everybody. I mounted my stills camera to the top of my Optik by using nothing more than a tripod screw.

I drilled a hole in the top, ran a piece of gaffer's tape down the length of the flat part on top of the helmet, to stop the plastic of the XT and the helmet plastic slipping on each other and viola, camera mounted to the top.

I like the d-box idea though. You could also add a camera condom to your vid camera if you decided to do it like that.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I use a stroboframe (QRC-300) on mine. You can get them cheap , brand new on Ebay.

Are you using it on your video or still camera? If it works with your video, I think that is the way we are going to go. We have been looking at the GoldMember and it is pretty much the same thing. Just wondering if there is excess movement.

If you want to put it on your video camera look for the 300-VID plate. Its got a screw and a pin on it that macth up perfect to the camera's and you just put the plate on and it eliminates all play in the system.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Are you using it on your video or still camera?

yep, use it for both. If you want, you can go the route Phree mentioned but the standard plate works fine for both digital stills and video. Since I angle my video camera 45 degrees to the left when top mounted, not having the pin plate allows me to do this and keep the plate attachment mechanism in the normal mounting position.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING