LouDiamond

Sigma 10–20mm EX DC HSM Lens

Scott, this does not answer the "skydiving" side of the question, but I really like this website for reviews of lenses. They used a Rebel XT for all their tests/reviews, which is a plus if you have that camera. Looks like they give the lens a pretty decent review.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Has anyone used this lens for skydiving or have hands on feedback on its performance?

got it love it

very wide with NO fish eye distortion
use it on my nikon D200

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

Just bear in mind the DC is their crop lens so if you have aspirations of a full frame camera at any point soon i don't think it will work.

Yeah I saw that part when I was reading reviews. It says you get vignetting although I didn't see any examples of how much of the frame was affected. Its something I will keep in mind and is a limitation but I am leaning towards this lens as it seems to be one of the few true wide angle lens made for DSLR cameras.

Namgrunt, what is your experience with this lens and vignetting, if any?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have had no problems with the lens. and if you use nikon 4.2 or there outher program it has a vig. correction tool, but i habe not had to use it.

I like the lens but be aware I only do ground pics

I can shoot at 10mm and capture ground to canopy of jumper landing beside me total picture
he was so close he had to lean away to pass me

I as a prefrence do not like the fish eye efect so this was the lens for me

the nikon D200 has a feature called ISO AUTO that is great

the lens is fast to auto focus ,

and it is hundreds less than nikon glass

hope this helps

www.dzmemories.com

I can shoot at 10mm and capture ground to canopy of jumper landing beside me total picture
he was so close he had to lean away to pass me

why is this a good thing? personally i'd prefer to wind out the zoom to say 20mm and shoot from a little distance. or a fairly long lens and shoot from further away. what is the advantage in being so close and shooting really wide? the picture looks unnatural, which may be the effect you are going for i guess. it can be a cool effect.

obviously there is benefit if you are flying IN a formation so you can't use a longer lens.

BTW i use a Canon EFS 10-22

so many jumpers ask for shots of there canopies..and I like to get the expressions on there faces IE. concentration

actually i usually use a SIGMA 50/500 and hand hold it, thus close is not an issue

change lens when asked for those special pics

If I knew how to post pictures to this sight I could show samples

my preferance is to shoot faces/hands on that last 25/50 feet of landing..few jumpers know just how hard they concentrate during that part of the jump.

the sweet spot is to land faceing me and about 25 feet in front of me

I always have the wind to my back so younger jumpers know which direction to land

swoopers are another thing..I always use the bigger lens and get 100 feet away..I love to capture the water drops spraying or the peas flying

because of injuries I canot jump though my wife does..
thanks to you peeps ..you keep me feeling young
and thanks for puting up with this old grump

www.dzmemories.com

I still vote for my 15mm fisheye, because on a Rebel XT for example, the 1.6 crop helps the lens to show very little fisheye distortion, but I wouldn't mind 10mmB|

Posted below is an example of the 15mm Fisheye on an exit shot this weekend, and it doesn't really show all that much distortion. The shot after that shows some on the wings and tail of the plane, and the third is back to showing very little (of anything really.. It needs to be cropped and I need exit practice:S). I know you asked about the 10-20mm, but I thought I would share my recent info on the 15mm fisheye. If you already have this lens than I'm a jackass:P

The other picture (wide focals) is an example of how wide a 10mm is compared to the 15 (and many other focal lenghts for that matter on a 1.6 crop).

Scott, the opening shock can screw up the mechanicals in a zoom. I see lots of people jumping them, but I wrecked my Canon zoom jumping it and will only jump fixed from now on.

That is very interesting, I have never heard this from anyone before (although I have heard people who are anti-zoom, I never heard a compelling reason such as yours). What lens was it? Are you sure it was opening shock that damaged it, or for that matter are you sure skydiving is responsible at all? I'm sure lenses break outside of skydiving. Not second-guessing you, just looking for more details if you have them. :)
Do you think the manual focus elements are at risk too? Hopefully not since if I had to guess, they are not as complex as the zoom mechanisms.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The Canon 70-210? The barrel extends when you zoom it. I never used it much outside of skydiving and yeah, it happened on a jump. With the barrel extended to do some canopy portrait work and a hard opening it sproinged. I use a fixed 100 now for canopy portraits.

This is the most published one. SkyAngel2 over Perris. Wings ads and the JFTC calendar.

Sorry about the Shutterfly site. My life kinda fell apart the first part of the year and is now getting reassembled, better, stronger, and faster.

Thanks for the feedback Deuce. Even though that might be an issue at some point, I went ahead and bought the lens. You're the first person to mention that potential problem and I think it has merit. However, I'll roll the dice as I think my Birdman openings are pretty soft compared to normal skydiving openings and I think the lens will hold up. Time will tell.

PS: the Volcanic party mix ROCKED!! Mucho thanks bro;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Just brought on myself, to go on my 350D (Rebel XT), to replace the kit 18 - 35mm lens.

Here are some shots along with a comparrison shot.

Exit 10mm and Exit 18 mm show the diference in field of view between the two lenses, both shots were taken from a ssimmilar position on the rail of an Islander.

As you can see from these the 10 - 22mm lense is much sharper and much brighter, I am really pleased with this lense.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Thanks for the shots. I managed to actually find this lens at a local camera store and play with it on my camera body. The 10mm will take some getting used to I imagine as like most WA lenses, everything looks farther away than it really is. That said, I have to agree with you, this lens is a drastic improvement over the kit 18-35mm lens. However, I still like the kit lens for certain applications, plus it overlaps with the 10-20mm nicely.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

More specifically it's a Britten-Norman BN-2A Islander. :P

Being more specific and pedantic, its actually an Brit Norman BN2T.

This is a 10 place twin turbine a/c, gets to 12k in about 15 min. Great little plane but it doesnt have the big door that skydivers seem to deman nowadays.

We have this plane, another piston version,and a 208 at our DFZ.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Well I got the lens in the mail today(from Target no less and way cheaper than anywhere else) and am currently playing with it on the ground. So far I am fairly impressed with the shots I am getting with it and the noticeable difference in picture quality over the kit lens. I'll reserve my final thoughts on it until I get a chance to fly it a few times and see how well it does in the sky for me.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Well I gave it a go in the air today and it worked out fantastic. I think I'll use mostly 14mm as 10mm is so wide its only good for the right on top of them shots. Its a tad bit heavier than the kit lens but well worth it IMO.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING