pete2005

how to avoid fog inside the lens ?

Keep the cam in a cooler environment before you go up. This will help. If the fog is inbetween the glass on a WA lens, then you've got a gas leak, and the lens should be replaced. It also could be an indicator of moisture that has gotten in the lens. Both are bad. Try putting lens in warm sun for a day, then use gaffers tape to cover any seam in the lens. Were it me, I'd gaff the lens to lens coupling as well.
Condensation can only be prevented by keeping the lens cooler before you fly up. Leaving a cam rig on the seat of a warm car before flying to cold air at 13k is a recipe for fog, especially if it's really cold higher up. Be sure both lenses are dry before flighting them.

Condensation can only be prevented by keeping the lens cooler before you fly up. Leaving a cam rig on the seat of a warm car before flying to cold air at 13k is a recipe for fog, especially if it's really cold higher up. Be sure both lenses are dry before flighting them.

What about attaching the wide angle lens to the camera over say a stovetop burner to trap hot dry air in between the lenses, then sealing with it gafters tape or something?

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

The stove idea is feasable however the relative humidity will have to be very low.

The hotter the air, the greater it's ability to hold moisture. So when this hot air cools the moisture it is holding will condense forming water droplets creating a missty fog on the cooler surface.

Try this by waving the steam a boiling kettle on a bathroom mirror.

The ideal situation is to evacuate the air between the two lenses. Very difficult to do.

My thoughts is that anitfog coatings are designed to provide a barrier between the two temperate environments and to create a surface finish that will not promote the ability for water to condensate on.

Any other thoughts????

Cookie

catscap do wonders when applied on the surface of the lens
however, when moisture gets inside of an un-vacuumed lens there is almost no practical way to fight fog during the jump
what works for me is
- a box which holds camera and the lens, with an UV filter attached to the top of the box (not to the lens) - that way you reduce the ammount of moisture getting inside the lens (and between the camera and the lens)
- I keep my lens in a plastic bag with moisture-absorbing celica (sp??) gel
- after jumping on a humid day I treat the lens with a hair-drier squeezing moisture away
with this set-up I almost never have fog problem inside the lens

Keeping the lens inside the bag with a gelpack will help, but the bigger issue is when your lens is hot prior to flight, and then going into cooler clouds/air/etc.
The antifog tools are great as far as they can be. Bear in mind that the lesser expensive W/A lenses are simply not built to manage the kind of abuse (in terms of rapid temp/moisture change) that skydiving presents. Even on our very high end HDCAM systems with 40k lenses, etc, we try to maintain a constant temp as best we can prior to shooting, and it's particularly important when shooting cold like Iditarod, etc.

I've heard jumping with the lens (in my case the entire camera) wrapped in neoprene helps eliminate the shock of cold air on the lens...seems to work fine, but I didn't really have problems beforehand either. Any validity to that, that you know of?
Miami

Even on our very high end HDCAM systems with 40k lenses, etc, we try to maintain a constant temp as best we can prior to shooting, and it's particularly important when shooting cold like Iditarod, etc.

So, sitting near an open door on the way up might be a good idea?