clint

DVD recorders

I'm looking to buy a DVD Recorder that I don't have to finalize the DVD.

I have a Panasonic E60 right now and it takes 10 minutes to finalize. Sucks!

What new dvd recorders are out there that you don't have to finalize.

Need to buy 'Tomorrow'.
Thanks,
-
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

Any DVD Recorder will finalize. It's your decision which -media- to use avoid this (or not).

For example. DVD-R -has- to be finalized for others to play it on their machine.

DVD+R does as well.

Then there is the RW bunch.... DVD+RW does -not- have to be finalized.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Lori,
Are you sure that the DVD+rw does not have to be finalized to watch in a different player?

is that unique to DVD+RW or is the DVD-RW the same deal?

I ask b/c 3 years ago when we tried to view my RW ( I forget if it was + or -) it wouldn't work until we finalzied it. which didnt make sense to me. it kind of took the R away from RW
My photos

My Videos

Confirmed my info by this search: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=finalize+DVD&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Specifically this article: http://www.manifest-tech.com/media_dvd/dvd_recorders.htm

"Much like "closing" a recordable CD, you must finalize a Video mode DVD-R/RW disc in order to be able to play it on a regular DVD player or computer DVD drive. This writes all the necessary control information to the disc, and adds a main menu."

and

"The DVD+RW Alliance designed the newer DVD+RW format to provide editing features without the compatibility issues and confusion of a separate VR recording mode, and without the need to finalize some disc formats."

Perhaps things may have changed, but I doubt it. :^)

ltdiver

no I knew it would be more expesive, but it is worth it for all the reguluars to get a (newer) dvd+rw so I can continually add their footage to the dvd each weekend instead of them having 800 dvd's from each weekend.

Thanks Lori;)
My photos

My Videos

You're welcome.

Now you're burdon is to get them to -bring- that dang DVD-RW back to the DZ with them every weekend. It was hard enough for my team for them to remember their VHS tapes...now you want them to remember something much smaller in size (and perhaps just stuck in their computer and forgotten to remove)? ;):P:D

ltdiver

a u contraire ( sp?)

My burden is done. LOL if they don't bring the +rw They will get chraged from now on, OR they just don't get the footage.:D

that'll make em remember.

I dont normally "SELL" my fun jumping footage. I DO trade and take tips though;)
My photos

My Videos

OK, so what DVD recorder would you buy? Model?

Would you buy the +RW, not too worried about the cost, I'm worried about the DVD not playing in my students DVD player.

What's a good Recorder right now?

-
Clint MacBeth

Clint,
most burners nowadays won't be your problem. the DVD format will be more of a prob than the type of recorder. let me see if i can remember how my shit storm played out last october.
IIRC
I found that when I use dvd+r they get more problems in older players andI had more problems burning them.

I use DVD-r's now and haven't had many problems.
i literally went through a whole spindle of 50 dvd+r's while trying to burn last seasons dvd. they ALL only burned to a specific percentage (I i don't remember how much but it was like 46%) then they spit out and I got an error message.

I got fed up and switch to dvd-R's and they work fine. I've had 2 of the 50 come back and tell me they wouldnt work in their player.

at the DZ however. I'm not sure what Brad has been buying (+ or -) so I couldn't tell you about those.

do yourself a favor and don't buy a cheap burner as a "just for now" burner. We Tried that at mesquite and well, you get what you pay for.
My photos

My Videos

I got fed up and switch to dvd-R's and they work fine. I've had 2 of the 50 come back and tell me they wouldnt work in their player.

This is why I went DVD-R as well. Haven't had any DVD's returned to me.

However, jtval....Clint was asking for a format that he -doesn't- have to Finalize. :P:S

ltdiver

oh .lol

I don't know about the non finalize yet. i bought some dvd+rw's to check it out. but i have a question maye you know

if i i\nitialize the dvd wouldn't it mean I have to finalize it?

I will goof with it later this week but maybe you already have the answer fo rme
My photos

My Videos

RIght now my Panasonic can ONLY burn DVD-R.

I heard that the Sony recorder, you dont have to finalize.

Same with Phillips?? I've had this one for 3 years now but it takes 11minutes everytime to finalize.
Clint MacBeth

If you play your creation back on the same recorder, it will play successfully. However, I believe we were talking about success on other players as well.

ltdiver

RIght now my Panasonic can ONLY burn DVD-R.

Same with Phillips?? I've had this one for 3 years now but it takes 11minutes everytime to finalize.

- or + r need finalize. rw does not, but the discs are a bit more expensive. i agree that the finalization is a pain in the ass. sometimes when i es a certain percentage and gets an error , i just open and close it and do it again and it goes through the process fine.

My Gx315 won't record with sound.

So, for skydiving it's fine for debriefing, but obviously I need sound.

On my way back to best buy, again.

Dang! That's a new one. The three 315's I bought (and returned) at least had sound.

I haven't looked into the 515, but stand by my former statement that the Sony GX300 is fantastic. :)
ltdiver

i work in circuit city's imaging department,
the DVD camcorder is not the way to go if you plan to edit your footage.not only do the discs only record 30 minutes (23 minutes on fine) and the 60 minute discs (about 45 on fine) the DVD format makes it a longer process, sure theres a way, it involves ripping the DVD, converting the dvd files to digital (avi) and then burning it into a dvd again. my recommendation would either be a 3CCD panasonic which uses a DVC tape, after recording you would be required to upload via firewire to your computer, which converts it via editing program to avi. or the easiest way would be to get a harddrive camera, 20gb-40gb, JVC everio is relativley new, its quality is ok. you can record 4.5 hours on ultra fine on a 20gb and 7 on normal. ive heard a lot of negative things. if you can wait, wait because all the major companies are going to be releasing hard drive cameras, and sony has a high def hard drive coming out. although sony is picky with their products and the digital format will be a sony format and will require there editing software (sony vegas).

now if you get any other kind of hard drive camera, its a simple USB2.0 to your computer because its already in digital format, you can even pick select seens. you can upload at faster rates. the Hard Drive cameras are pretty new, id say wait as long as you can.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions about Imaging products, or computer products let me know :)

We're not talking about DVD cameras here in this thread. We don't use them in freefall (yet) anyway. They don't stand up to the altitude and movement that skydiving entails. Besides, why start with compressed medium when you can have a miniDV tape that is close to full quality anyway.

What we -are- discussing is DVD players....that also record. Ya know, they're shaped like a VCR but spin those little discs around instead. ;) Like this one.

ltdiver

This needs spun off on its own thread, but DVD and Hard drive cameras are absolute crap and should not be used for skydiving. Hard drives literly can have their heads crash due to the lower pressure at altitude. There are lots of threads about this already. The DVD camera's have their own series of limitations but that can be addressed in the spin off thread if it happens.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com