gus

Mounting a stills camera to a Protec

I have a stroboframe but I was thinking about just bolting the camera straight on to the helmet through the hole at the very top of my Protec (the hole is quite wide so I might need a washer or something). Two things worry me though:

(1) The bolt would be very close to my skull. If I got hit hard from above I'll have a bolt shaped dent in my head.

(2) The weakpoint in the mount becomes the plastic of the helmet.

Are these valid concerns? Is there anything I can do about them?

Thanks,

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Well, if this is something you really want to do...I at least hope it's not much more than a disposable camera...

(1) The bolt would be very close to my skull. If I got hit hard from above I'll have a bolt shaped dent in my head.

You could use an allen wrench type bolt. They are very low profile and would give you the most clearance, but yes, you still run the risk of getting a bolt shaped dent in your head.

(2) The weakpoint in the mount becomes the plastic of the helmet.

You would need a pretty damn big washer to distribute the load enough to keep the bolt from ripping through that big ass hole. Not to mention that the curved top of a protect is not much of a platform for a camera.

Are these valid concerns? Is there anything I can do about them?

Sure they're valid, you can fix it by just getting a new helmet. There are a few to pick from that you can use to solely mount a still on top.

If it's money that's holding you back and you don't mind getting a little tricky...you could always go to a machine shop with your protec in hand, and explain what you want. A shop close to one of my previous dz's made me a custom aluminum bracket to sidemount a camera for about $20...and it was nice!
Hope this helps...
Miami

The Protec has a super thick pad, sp your skull should remain dent proof.

The trouble with the Protec is your need a chin cup to stabilize it. The fit is too sloppy without one.

As far as the washer thing, go to a hobby shop and get a sheet of aluminun about the thickness of a washer. Cut out a giant washer (3" or better) and drill a 1/4 hole in the middle. You shouod be able to bend the washer to match the curve of the helmet. This should keep the camera in place.

The real issue here - it seems like if you had any prior video experience, you'd know how to construct a camera helmet, have a camera helmet, or realize the benefits of a made-for-cameras camera helmet.

If you don't have any video experience, this seems like a shitty way to get started. Shooting stills requires an additional layer of thought (triggering the shutter) over video. It might be better idea to get some video experiecne first, learning to fly your slot, and work with the light, and then add the shutter action.

I have almost 1000 video jumps (well, jumps with a video camera) and a 2K Composites FFX that I could mount my stills camera on. But I actually quite fancy just jumping with stills, that's why I was thinking about using my old Protec. If that really is a bad idea then I'll figure something else out.

The trouble with the Protec is your need a chin cup to stabilize it. The fit is too sloppy without one.

Agreed and I have a chincup/cutaway system on order.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

You will look like a geek.

I don't need a Protec to acheive that. :P

Why not mount the stills to your FFX?

Mostly because I'm not that bothered about video any more and I'd rather have the simplist possible setup.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

You will look like a geek.

Why not mount the stills to your FFX?

might becourse he wants some REAL protection rather than a sh!tty skydive helmet:P

Gus,please pm me whith the details on were to get that chin cup,cheers

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

might becourse he wants some REAL protection rather than a sh!tty skydive helmet

Yeah, sure. Take a helmet like a Protec, which has some impact absorbtion, and mount a camera to it. If he gets hit from the side, or from behind, the Protec should do it's job. If he gets hit from above, the camera will take the load. If the load is anything but straight down, the camera becomes a lever, applying the force to his neck. This woul dhappen with any helmet.

Just another quick point about the protection provided by any helmet. Helmets that are tested to a standard are tested by being dropped onto an anvil from different heights. The idea is that is you hit a curb or tree, to first absorb some of the force, and then spread the remaining force out to lessen the impact. All of these tests are based on hitting a static object.

In skydiving, if you're invovled in a collision, the initial impact will need to be managed by the helmet, where the design of the helemt will come into play. The problem is that you are being struck by a moving object, and after the helemt takes the initial impact, it's up to your neck to manage the force of your head being pushed in a certain direction. In fact, the movement of your neck will absorb some of the initial impact, taking some of the load off of the helemt.

In order to test for that type of impact, they would need to simulate a human head and neck, and then hit it wilth a moving object (maybe a baseball bat).

Just remember that the impacts that helmets are tested for, and the impacts that skydivers are likey to see are too very different things. Skydiving helmets are better for skydiving than some people seem to think.

Mounting cameras to any helemts will make it far less safe for impaact protection. Cameras add weight and levergae, neither of which are good for anyone.

he might dont want to use it for skydiving..
perhaps he might be the only moving part in case he crash into somthing..

If the guy has 1000 video jumps i guess he knows what he want and why..

Personaly i find ANY snowboard or alike helmet better than MOST skydive helmets no matter if your hitting an moving or fixed object mid air..

Skydive helmets are great monting places for cameras and dytters,other than that its werry usefull to carry gloves and googles in after a jump..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

using helmets not specifically designed for skydiving video is just silly IMO. snagging, stability, cutting it away are just a few issues.

as snobby as it sounds i think you should have the correct equipment or you are wasting you time and $$.

The protec if done correctly makes a pretty good camera helmet. I used one for years and my wife still uses one. She isn't real interested in spending 700$ for a little better platform.

Mix and match liners and replace them often for a good tight fit. Use a football chincup and get it tight.
cut off the chin strap and sew it to each end of the extra strap from the chincup with a half twist and you now have a cutaway system.

The largest problem with the protec camera helmet (besides looking like a geek all strapped tight)
is with a still on the front it feels pretty front heavy.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

using helmets not specifically designed for skydiving video is just silly IMO. snagging, stability, cutting it away are just a few issues.

sorry i forgot you guys usaly buy stuff as its all done

Gus asked for help MAKING a stillscam helmet out of a protec(which often is used arround here as students helmets).That includes cutaway things and minimice snagging areas..

as snobby as it sounds i think you should have the correct equipment or you are wasting you time and $$.

and building it your self is giving you the product YOU want.. :P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I jumped one like that for a while. There was nothing wrong with it aside from looking ridiculous.

I can't tell any difference between the videos I shot with that compared to my ftp.

Velocityphoto was kind enough to send me the top plate for the cost of shipping. I'm not using it anymore. If you want it, I'll make the same deal. Let me know.

Here's a picture of it on my protec. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=44111;