jmidgley

HC42 Firewire Problem

Hi

I wonder whether anyone has experienced any problems with firewire working inconsistently between a HC42 and Win XP SP2? It will usually work OK from a fresh boot-up, but if you stop and start it for any reason, the 'remote controls' on the PC will operate the camera, but no video data is transferred. This is with Pinnacle Studio. Re-boot, and it works OK.

I've tried a little DV capture utility (can't remember the name) and I get the same thing, which suggests that it's either the camera or something about XP.

Any thoughts?

John

The only time I've ever had problems with firewire, it's either been a problem with the cable or the camera.

A common problem with Sony camcorders is related to the LANC port. If there's any tension on the LANC port when you plug in your cam-eye (due to a DBOX pushing against the plug), you can damage the internals of the camera. The most common symptom of this is an intermittent firewire signal.

There are essentially no tools to help troubleshoot. First try a different cable, then try a different camera.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I've only captured video from my new HC90 a couple times now. But I am using Pinnacle also (XP SP2), and have had problems getting the capture to initiate once or twice, and a reboot has fixed it. My firewire cable is also screwy... when I hook up to people's cameras the connection is often not made unless you push the end in really firmly... I got a super cheap cable from WalMart.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I have a PC105 and I use sonic vegas for editing. My laptop has Windows XP.

I downloaded SP2 a while ago and started having problems with sending stuff from and to tape via firewire.

I got rid of SP2 and dont have anymore problems.

Go figure, SP2 has been the biggest pain in my ass since I installed it...

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Interestingly enough, HC42 connection problems such as you describe also occur on Macs. The thing to do on a Mac is start the camera in the middle of some footage...if you start it between shots you get the ability to control the camera from the computer but nothing is visible on the computer and no data is transferred.

Good luck.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Thanks for all the replies - you've given me a few leads to follow up.

I'll read the Knowledge Base article relating to the patch, and give it a try; the Firewire ports are on a seperate card that came with Pinnacle. Maybe it's time to try a different card!

Regards
John