Viking

Pics of my vintage gear!

Now what are you talking about when you say hard and soft cones?

Hard cones are the metal conical shaped piece with the hole in it that your ripcord pin goes through. A bent pin with hard cones = total malfunction. Soft cones means using a modern style closing loop instead.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

oooooooh i thought maybe thats what you ment but wasn't sure.

ya one of the pins was slightly bent. But i had no problem pulling the ripcord out.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

image 4 looks like a Papillon! :)

Image 4 is a UT-15 .... a canopy which many jumpers in the early 70's regarded as superior to both Papillon (I had a french one) and the PC (had one of those too). I never jumped a UT15, but loved the pap.

oooooooh i thought maybe thats what you ment but wasn't sure.

ya one of the pins was slightly bent. But i had no problem pulling the ripcord out.

leave it as is with the hard cones - they work well and don't need messing with.

Not sure if the line stow pic is after you put it back together - but you'd better not have 3 or 4 stows in one band as in the pic. Also the crown lines stow in the bands groups closest the top of the deployment bag (end closest the crown lines.).

Get someone to hook up a reserve, get a main bridle and spring loaded pilot chute, get trained on it after a rigger old enough to know the system checks it out - then go enjoy it!!!!!

You'll find a sweet canopy - fastest turns you'll ever see, lightest toggle pressure you'll ever see, predictable landings (don't flare it like your zeepo thingy, tho), and a real fun ride. Jump it at least 10 times.

Blue skies, fergs

;)

Finally somebody who remembers the russian lemoigne canopiy's name :)Ferrgs: do you remember the odd "umbrella" type pilot chute systems the russians used? Also, do you remember the name of the Czeck canopy similar to the Pap, PC etc.?

Good to see there are a number of "old farts" like myself around who still have fond memories of these canopies. :ph34r:

---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

" Also, do you remember the name of the Czeck canopy similar to the Pap, PC etc.? "

Chech version: PTCH-8
Polish version: SW-5

In our club we have an UT-15 jumpabale condition, I think it was made around 1991 so it is not even beyond its recommended service time. As there some jumpers who want to jump with it weplan to put it in a modern 3-ring conatiner.

OVER

You are right, image 4 is UT-15. It is the top Russian round canopy. I am proud to have 10 jumps with UT-15. That canopy has 5 m/c horizontal speed and 5 m/c vertical one, so it flys 45 degree. The chute is the fastest in turn. Just one complain about UT-15 is that it always opens fast and sometime really hard. Meanwile at our dropzone we have a lady which made around thousand jumps with UT-15 in former times of USSR. Now she is happy pilot with stiletto.

I also attached picture of another nice Rissian round canopy called T-4 and D1-5-U.

D1-5-U.jpg

UT-15.jpg

T-4.jpg

Yeah, the UT-15 has a good reputation with the people who jumped it. Did you try the "weird" pilot chutes some of them had? Also nice pics. T-4 looks very much like the C-9 7-TU I jumped in the 70's....
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

Not sure if the line stow pic is after you put it back together - but you'd better not have 3 or 4 stows in one band as in the pic.

that pic was taken right after i opened the container, thats the way someone else trash packed it.

I jumped D1 and UT both in Hungary.

D1 is/was the static line student program starting canopy. Its material is like T-sheert but tehe canopy has a decent size of something like 800 sqft or so. So it brings you down gently but on a very recognisable way :)

The UT is a great canopy. I did not have hard openings on it and my impession is quite a good. Turns (spins? :)) fast as Stiletto but it is wobbling after radical togle input... so it is same dangerous to take low turns as nowdays :)
In general it is true that UT is better then PC it was proved on the accurecy world meets back in golden ages :)

Old stuff are cool and i recommend to all modern skydivers to learn about these techs as long we have folks around who can share their knowledge :)

z

I'm considering getting some old gear for old times sake. The old hard cones work fine. Everyone checked them closely for bent pins in the old days, but this seldom happens (but check them every jump). The old belly reserves also have hard cones also (so double check them before every jump). I've only had two cut-aways on shot and a half cape-wells. They worked fine, but it would be good to have them checked out. Be careful what kind of reserve you get. It should be modified and hopefully it won't oscillate when you come down under it. I'd like to pick up a 26 foot coni, if I could find one for a decent price. On my second cut away on a 24 ft. reserve it ossillated wildly all the way down and slamned me into a rock pile (spraining both anckles). A proper reserve wouldn't have ossillated like this. My first ride on a different 24ft. round I got a standup. Have someone give you some lessons on landing a Pari-commander or Pappillion. I used to do a chin up on my back risers just before landing. Some people would flare with the toggles. I'd love to jump one again.....Steve1

Do you have a pilot chute for this rig? I didn't see one in the pictures. The container looks like it's in great shape. One thing to be careful of is the bungies or pack opening bands. They attach to the little clips on the main and reserve container. They pull the containers open and have a little clip on the end. These little clips can be a snag point. I used to tighten them down slightly with pliers to keep them from snagging a pilot chute on opening if they did come unhooked.

It used to be kind of common for the burble above your back to keep the pilot chute from catching air. That's why you want a good pilot chute that will hopefully spring up above this burble. And watch to see that things are stringing off your back when you pull. More than once I've elbowed my back pack to get things moving off. Some old pilot chutes have a little spring and don't jump up much at pull time.

The pictures look like your pappillion is packed in a bag or pod. I'm not familiar with these. Mine had a sleeve. Most people went to bags and pods later in the 70's.

Your rig also has quick ejector hardware which was top of the line back then. I personally liked them, but it might be considered dangerous by todays standards. But then again everything about this rig would probably be considered dangerous by todays standards. But, I just wish I had another rig like this...Have fun!......Steve1

nope no pilot chute, need to get one. along with a reserve pc, ripcord.........and ya a reserve:D

I take it the quick ejectors or the attachments for the leg straps and the reserve container? If so ya they look way unsafe but damnit there..........quick hahaha

I know how to pack it:)We are having a GREEN Meet at Snohomish, WA on May 10. We will be jumping the old gear ONly Rounds are allowed. You should bring it on up... we have several people who can teach you how to repack it... and I have 5 cutaways with Capewells.. I would be HAPPY to train you on thier use:P
Oh and yes I will be jumping in my old orange USAF Flight suit and Corcoran jump boots. I wish I still had my old Flight helmet to complete the "look" I even spitshined the jump boots so they look purty.

Amazon

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Guess I'll have to reply to myself since all the text I typed in for the quote on Amazon was somehow lost...

5 Cutaways on capewells!!! I looked at your number of jumps and this seems very high. Please tell me they were intentional?

I had three cutaways on capewells, 2 intentional with Shot and a half, 1 real (lineover on a C-9 round) with One-Shots.

An interesting note, I was wearing one of Booths early Wonderhogs (I worked for him back then, and he was just starting to work out the 3-ring system). The rig had one of the first hand-deploy pilot chutes (with the pouch on a belly band) and still had a plastic ripcord for the reserve (yes, I came down with the reserve ripcord, it was a case of beer if you didn't back then). Booth changed to a metal housing/ripcord system soon afterwards when we received word of a fatality in Casa Grande blamed on a broken ripcord.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Well they were intentional.... due to malfuntions.:)
First two were bad packing jobs on a French Papillion with all the steering lines and crown lines in a long sleeve that looked like a wad of junk on every deployment. IT was in a sporterized surplus b-12 with a C-9 for a reserve in a belly mount.
Number 3 was a classic Mae West on a static line military C-9 .
Number 4 was on a bagged piece of junk that was just not opening after WAYYYYYYYY too long on a Spider-Slider Parafoil. It was very normal for it to take a very long time to deploy but this time was even worse and 1500 ft had come and gone and it was time for the 26' Lo-Po. Number 5 was on a pilot chute in tow. First cutaway was sport jump number 5 and the last was 3 years later on a Green Star Systems pig rig with capewells. Yes 5 cutaways for that many jumps and all on round reserves. Way more than I would have preferred. But sometimes feces occurs. The times and equipment were different in 1975- 1981 when I was jumping, The equipment is far different now and hopefully far more reliable. I had never jumped a rig with a 3 ring until March of this year when I started jumping again after 22 years. I wanted a Wonderhog really bad when they came out but they were out of my price range on a military salary. I would have had more jumps but just could not afford them. After I got out of the USAF I ended up in college and was even deeper in financial deprivation. I made do with my old used rig until I quit in late 1981
By the way the jump on the T-10 on Saturday was fun. Same kind of rig I started jumnping with way back when. I even placed 2nd in the meet. Just 28 meters out from dead center on a T-10 with a T-U and the Reserve was a belly mount pull and punch with no pilotchute if I would have had to use it.:S

Amazon

Amazon,
Glad your back. I quit for over 25 years and started jumping again a few years ago. It's a lot safer and more fun now......and remember this:

You don't quit playing because you get old.
You get old because you quit playing.
Don't be the first to get old!

(Or something like that. My memory is shot.....Steve1)

Amazon,
I hope you can make it to Lost Prairie one of these years. There's lot's of old timers to play with there.
I don't get to many boogies, but Lost Prairie is a fun one. It's great renewing old acquaintances, making new ones, and getting in on quality RW jumps. I'm counting the days until July.....Steve1