ifics

Everyday lense

I have a 15mm and an 8mm sigma in my very small collection of lenses, but I need something better for everyday shooting. I don't need super wide angle and I don't need super telephoto. Is there something in the middle? My price range stops at around 500. All help is appreciated!

It does. Did you buy it body only, or do you have the 18-55mm lens? I know you didn't mention it, just making sure. I'm assuming you're talking about the Digital Rebel, not one of the other models.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Digital Rebel, not one of the other models.

I'm thinking that if he doesn't know what he has, that it's just a simple 35mm film SLR.

Go with a 28mm lens. Works for RW and tandem at least.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I have a digital Rebel. I bought it body only, and then bought two lenses off of a skydiving friend (the two stated above 15mm and 8mm). I'm not looking for a new lense to shoot skydiving photos just one that I can use for road trips. I don't want a wide angle and I don't want super telephoto. Just something in between.

Do you want fixed or zoom? Do you need low-light performance?

Sigma makes an 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 with an EF-S mount for about $120. I've heard thjat it outperforms the similar Canon kit lens (although that isn't saying a whole lot), and it's cheaper too. It also has a real focus ring, something that the Canon kit lens is inexplicably missing.

The 18-55 kit lens [get it on eBay to save money] will do what you need. It handles light nicely and is a great general purpose lens... particularly considering the short lenses you already have. The only bummer is that its focal length can't be locked down without using tape... I've seen them get loose with wear. Then again, I've seen them get tight with wear.

For a <$100 lens, it's great. It feels kind of cheap, but the lens quality is a good value.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I picked up the Sigma 24-70 EX DG ($389). It is an F 2.8 constant apature zoom (great in low light ). Popular Photography magazine rated it and said it was just as sharp as the Canon 24-70L ($1200). So far it has been a great lens and by far the most commonly used in my kit. The only downside is in being F-2.8, its rather bulky, almost 2lbs with an 82mm filter diameter.

Jim

From what I've read online, the Sigma 24-70 EX DG and the Tamron 28-75 seem to be very popular "walkabout" lenses. Both can be found for less than $500 online.

I have the Sigma en-route. I'll post a review once I've goofed around with it for a few days, if anyone likes.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

From what I've read online, the Sigma 24-70 EX DG and the Tamron 28-75 seem to be very popular "walkabout" lenses. Both can be found for less than $500 online.

I have the Sigma en-route. I'll post a review once I've goofed around with it for a few days, if anyone likes.

Yeah, post some pictures too please.. If you need somebody to host full sized images PM me..

>>Tamron 28-75 <<

I have read tons of good reviews of this lens, also. I know two people who have purchased it. One loves it. The other returned three copies of the lens (due to back-focusing on one, lack of sharpness on another, and electrical connention problems on the third) before just giving up and buying the Canon. Both Sigma and Tamron, but to a greater extent Tamron, have a reputation for quality variance among lenses that makes them frustrating to purchase for some people. If you buy one, make sure you can at least exchange it, repeatedly if necessary.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Ok, as requested, a pic from the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG.

Deliberately underexposed for sun detail. EXIF info should be available in the JPG.

Initial thoughts on the lens:

It's a fairly heavy, very solid lens. It certainly feels better-built than the kit lens. Zoom extension is clockwise, vs. the counterclockwise of Canon lenses. Zoom and focus rings don't move with a fingertip touch, but they're smooth. I expect them to loosen up slightly with use. Lens takes an 82mm filter. Lens hood is a "petal" type and seems to work well, in my limited use of the lens.

AF mechanism is a bit strange - it's a two step process. You have to change the switch from AF to MF, then the focus ring pushes or pulls to complete the change. AF is not as fast as the Canon USM, but certainly isn't slow. AF makes more noise than the Canon, as well - reminiscent of my old Minolta Maxxum. I haven't checked for FTM focus ability.

I've not taken many pictures with the lens (weather and work have *NOT* cooperated) but I'm satisfied with it at this point. Obviously, I plan on a lot more pictures with the lens in the near future, and will update with further info as I form further opinions of the lens.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Check out the 28-200 3.5/5.6 lens. I think it's the perfect all-around every day lens, the kind that once you put on your camera, you never take off. Don't have one personally (have the 24-70 and 70-200), but my friends and sister have them and the picture quality is good even wide open and it's not super-heavy.
Focuses quickly, and I think it's about $300.
It's not great in low light, but it's going to be pretty hard to beat this lens in cost, quality and utility.

Gotta go... plaything needs to spank me
Feel the hate...
Photos here

Couple suggestions. First off, if you're going to be using it in a range of situations, get some sort of zoom lens. If you can handle some amount of tripod shooting on the ground when encountering sub-perfect lighting conditions, i say go for the Canon 70-200 f/4L. Cheapest of the L-series you can get, and it won't disappoint. However, if I were to want something that had a bit more at the wider end, i'd hit the 28-135 IS. This is going to get you a few extra stops worth of handheld for everyday shooting (as you requested) and isn't going to break the bank.

I guess it all really depends on what your definition of "everyday shooting" is. Indoor candid shots? Outdoor (on the ground) action shots? How often do you want to lug the tripod around? Know what you want to shoot before you start lens shopping...good luck!:)
blue ones,
b