CrazyIvan

New NEPTUNE alti

yeah, but say 1.5 - 2 years....
i mean 802.11b is awsome (my house runs on it) but i still think modern manufactors need to build in the new technology i mean how cool would it be to just set the helmet down and pull the data......
no fuss at all....

Well, even better, you have your laptop on the ground, you are jumping and you are TRANSMITTING IN REAL TIME to your laptop, as you skydive, Bluetooth CAN'T do that, 802.11b can, BT is short range, that's the problem, anyway, geeky stuff.

Question, what Bluetooth and 802.11b has to do with NEPTUNE ALTI?, we got a little bit out-of-topic huh? :P

HAHAHAHAHAAAAA...
I guess you're right....
the company i am working for right now is working on a REAL 802.11b high speed network to compete in the race....:S
I dont know, but i guess i dont have to worry about it, i'll be cut away in less than two weeks.....:D:D:D
I mean with out some sort of signal boost i dont see how 802.11b will get realtime data at over say 400 feet.....

HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

Ooooh shiney things.:)
Okay, so its an audible that can be used as an alti, or an alti that can be used as an audible. Cool. But it can't serve both purposes at the same time. So you will need something else.
As an alti its expensive.
As an audible, its about the same price as a ProTrack, which pretty much does the same thing, apart from the extended time recording thing for birdie people, or high alt freaks.
So why all the excitement? If its half as good as L&Bs product it will be okay, but they will have to get out of bed pretty early to beat L&Bs cosmic customer service.

I just don't see what all the fuss is about? Someone enlighten this old geek please. Or is this just gear lust, which I fully understand.:)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Ooooh shiney things.:)
Okay, so its an audible that can be used as an alti, or an alti that can be used as an audible. Cool. But it can't serve both purposes at the same time. So you will need something else.
As an alti its expensive.
As an audible, its about the same price as a ProTrack, which pretty much does the same thing, apart from the extended time recording thing for birdie people, or high alt freaks.
So why all the excitement? If its half as good as L&Bs product it will be okay, but they will have to get out of bed pretty early to beat L&Bs cosmic customer service.

I just don't see what all the fuss is about? Someone enlighten this old geek please. Or is this just gear lust, which I fully understand.:)

it's got some other nifty features i can't talk too much on (i don't know too much detail) but it switches modes based on what you're doing, such as in the plane it has different information from when you're actually falling.

"it's got some other nifty features i can't talk too much on (i don't know too much detail) but it switches modes based on what you're doing"
Tetris?;)
I don't know what other nifty features I need to pay for.
I guess what I'm driving at Kevin is this...does it do anything usefully different than a Protrack, or altimeter?
Waterproof is useful under certain circumstances.
Longer recording time is useful.
A bleeping altimeter is not useful...:S:)
If you see what I mean?...

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

"it's got some other nifty features i can't talk too much on (i don't know too much detail) but it switches modes based on what you're doing"
Tetris?;)
I don't know what other nifty features I need to pay for.
I guess what I'm driving at Kevin is this...does it do anything usefully different than a Protrack, or altimeter?
Waterproof is useful under certain circumstances.
Longer recording time is useful.
A bleeping altimeter is not useful...:S:)
If you see what I mean?...

It's all what you value. Its a multi function device can be used as a audible or an alitimiter, it can be put into a "training mode" for students to simulate freefall, it is backlit can be used for night jumps, it has some fun stuff like telling you the temperature outside, comes in various colors, like you said it's waterproof, AND it's cheaper than a protrak.

So lets look at this :

It has more features than a protrak, has more functionality than a protrak, cheaper than a protrak, and more colors than a protrak.

I'm not sure what is the difficult desicion here. If you're looking at it from the aspect of "i just need an alitimiter" of COURSE there are cheaper alternatives.

I can say that the customer service at B&L is hard to beat, i'm not sure alti-2 will be able to top them there.

Kevin

My problem is this Kevin, I want one, but I can't justify it, I have a protrack, and toys for it, (plus a prodytter and a timeout). I generally try and avoid getting wet, and seldom jump at night. I don't train students, but I can see its usefullness in that role.
I have no reason to expect anything but competitive service from Alti-2.B|
But if it had Tetris....B|

I guess I'm suffering from gear lust.B|:)

--------------------

I have a very good reason indeed for getting one. It's part of my job requirements to jump all the neatest, newest and/or coolest stuff. Seriously. It's in my contract. If I don't, they can fire me.

Or is this just gear lust, which I fully understand.

Okay, so I lie. It's gear lust. :ph34r:

My problem is this Kevin, I want one, but I can't justify it, I have a protrack, and toys for it, (plus a prodytter and a timeout). I generally try and avoid getting wet, and seldom jump at night. I don't train students, but I can see its usefullness in that role.
I have no reason to expect anything but competitive service from Alti-2.B|
But if it had Tetris....B|

I guess I'm suffering from gear lust.B|:)

Ah.. well i don't know how to get your mind to justify the purchase. I have a protrak, and i jump birdman. I don't have the protrak software cable and probably won't buy it, I'd like to jump but this and the protrak together to compare and get more "accurate" results of my jump. As my jumps get longer I want to record the entire jump (thus need for neptune). I do night jumps occasionally and like the fact it is backlit.

I'm also a techno geek and like the newest toys. So i am able to justify it on more than one level :)

There is only one reason that we Junkies buy new gear...ITS NEW! B| I have a problem and I will admit it, I buy for no real good reason other than it feels good to buy.:S But if you don't need one and you have the will to resist, more power to you.;)

...FUN FOR ALL!

Nac,

I have had nothing but the absolute best customer service from alti-2...I wouldn't expect that to change at all...I sooooo want one of these but I got other fish to fry first....like a cypres 2!!!!!:)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Haven't gotten them yet...evidently they're still "in transit"...either diablopilot or myself will post when we get them in and play with them a bit.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

As a new Student ( 12 jumps) I have a saphire that I'm currently using as my altimeter. I've been doing my homework on audibles and all things being equal would choose the Neptune. My question is regarding recording data while under the canopy. Does the ProTrack stop recording once the canopy opens? Will the Neptune record canopy flight data?
Lou

The great thing about the Neptune getting to the market is that the prices of audibles will most certainly fall. L&B have been making very good money on their design (well deserved I may add) - but their product has been on the market for so long and electronic components should have become cheaper over time that it is about time for the prices to reduce. So let's see how good the Neptune is. I just can not understand why people would use it as a alti :S

---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.