Bowen

video editing laptop seen at DZ

Ok guys, first off I apologize for this topic (I am sure it’s been discussed a million times) but I was at Deland the other day taking Scott Millers canopy course (which by the way is an excellent course) and I noticed 3 videographers and Scott Miller using Mac Powerbooks. Why is this? Are Macs really that good for portable editing? I noticed the cost is crazy for one. But if money was no object then would you buy one? I am not really trying to stir up the Mac vs. P.C. thing. I want to know why all the video guys I see are using them.

Thanks,
-Bowen
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

I want to know why all the video guys I see are using them.

Because they're good.

Also, because their seamless editing with very easy to use integrated software makes it very attractive.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Are Macs really that good for portable editing? I noticed the cost is crazy for one. But if money was no object then would you buy one?

As Lori already said, cause they are good.
And really.. the cost for a Mac isn't crazy at all, a good laptop that's decent for video editting will run you about 1000 to 1500, and so will an iBook or Powerbook...

Iwan

There's a big trend in computing to move to the Mac platform for a couple of reasons... The ease of use, lack of spyware, viruses, pop up problems, the good bundled software, the look of the machines, the stability of the Operating System, etc...

I work at a laptop school outside of NY, and every year before this one, we have about 30% of the new students order Mac and 70% order Windows. This year we've had 30% order Windows and 70% order Mac.
-drew

The ease of use, lack of spyware, viruses, pop up problems,

Macs still have those problems, just not to the extent that platforms running Micro$oft operating systems have.

Not that there's anything wrong with Macs, especially in this application, just wanted to clarify that point.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Macs still have those problems, just not to the extent that platforms running Micro$oft operating systems have.

OS X has no known viruses. I get maybe one pop-up a month (if I round up), on Firefox. I have not found any spyware on my Mac. I have found one piece of malware (PACE anti-piracy software), but it was hidden in Pro Tools by the developer to be installed without user notice.

While these problems are not absolutely unheard of with Macs, compared with Windows, OS X is pretty much problem free, at least with respect to viruses, adware and popups.

OS X has no known viruses.

As of right now it doesn't.

Stating that OS X won't have viruses written for it is a stretch though. Like i said, nothing wrong with Mac, especially OS X and especially for this application, just that it *can* have the same issues as MS driven machines..

While these problems are not absolutely unheard of with Macs, compared with Windows, OS X is pretty much problem free, at least with respect to viruses, adware and popups.

***While these problems are not absolutely unheard of with Macs, compared with Windows, OS X is pretty much problem free, at least with respect to viruses, adware and popups.

Exactly, for now atleast.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

OS X has no known viruses.

Tell that to Symantec ;) These were the first 3 I saw. :ph34r:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/macos.mw2004.trojan.html
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/mp3concept.html
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sh.renepo.b.html

That Said, a Mac is great for video editing and Scott Millers team shows them off quite well in their useage.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/...s.mw2004.trojan.html
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/...data/mp3concept.html
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/...ata/sh.renepo.b.html

Try installing them using normal procedures. ;) Root access requires a password. Dropping the fake MP3 file into iTunes should (theoretically, since I don't have a copy of the program to try) not allow the malicious software portion to open.

Anyone can install malicious software on their own computer, but it is very difficult for software to install itself in OS X. Close to impossible with out of the box configurations.

Try installing them using normal procedures. Root access requires a password. Dropping the fake MP3 file into iTunes should (theoretically, since I don't have a copy of the program to try) not allow the malicious software portion to open.

Anyone can install malicious software on their own computer, but it is very difficult for software to install itself in OS X. Close to impossible with out of the box configurations.

Ain't it beutifull....I've had that last one downloaded and tryed to install itself...but my iMac wouldn't let it happen...then i ran my antivirus and nuked it.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

"6.8.2005 News
New security update is available for Mac OS X downloadable from the Software Update system preference panel.
"

If they are putting out security updates, there are indeed vulnerabilities. Also, no OS on earth will ever be bulletproof - it is impossible both from a programattic standpoint as well as a manufactures bottomline standpoint.

Don;t get me wrong, I dig the OS X platform and the power it brings to the table, but as a programmer, I still get way more work geared towards intel based architectures and the what not.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --