Please help - soon to fly camera and want to be as safe as possible

Hi guys, i'm not sure if anything has been covered on this (i'm sure it has, but i checked the FAQ and a search on "safe" and didn't come up with much).

If anyone has any advice and/or could post some links, that would be great.

I only have 185 jumps, and in 15 more will be able to jump with my PC9, which i bought ages ago hoping to be able to fly camera with it, but life and finances got in the way and it's taken me a while to get to C license level.

Anyway enough of that. The reason behind this post is safety. I want to be as safe as possible, and would like advice from camera flyers on how i can go about doing that. This might have to be moved to safety and training, and that's no probs, sorry if i posted in the wrong forum.

Anyway my current helmet is a Millenium Mindwarp and a friend has offered to affix an L bracket and secure it for me (he did a nice job on his own and it cost him virtually nothing). He even installed his own cutaway system for the camera which i have had a look at and works well, as well as reduce snag points.

As well as speaking to camera flyers at my dz, i am hoping to amass some useful info from exerpienced flyers before i start flying camera. I don't want to be someone who just slaps a camera on their head and is good to go without realising what can go wrong, and how to fly it safely.

Many thanks for anyone that can help and point me in the right direction, i really would appreciate it :)
edited to add - i know 200 jumps is the bare minimum you need, and i will want to take this very slowly and surely. I am always altitude aware, usually break off ever so slightly higher than probably most people think is necessary or would do so in other groups, and tend to have a higher hard deck than most (1800ft) so i would say i'm pretty cautious.

I am also stable in a flat and headup position, am in no hurry to learn hd anytime soon and progress at a slow, steady pace so am not one to rush into anything blindly and know that a camera jump is not just a normal jump with a camera and is an increase in risk level (i guess, hence me putting up this post).

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I would suggest get on any solo-2 way rw you can film. Practice keeping them in frame. At first, you will get frustrated and pissed off. trust me, every camera guy goes through that stage. Keep filming over and over again. With 200 jumps, i don't know if your dz will allow you to jump with tandems. Once you get comfortable with filming practice going below and above and start moving round the formation.
One thing which will be handy in the future is learn to keep whatever your filming in frame while moving your eyes. I have on several occasions almost been taken out. If it wasn't for the fact of noticing the jumpers coming towards me i'd be hurt..lol Eventually, it will become 2nd nature to you. Like i said take it slow. Take any advice you can from fellow camera guys/girls. Once you get to where you shooting tandem videos. Please,Please do not try and sell them a piece of shit video. I know its cool getting a free slot paid but it makes you and the dz look bad when they show their friends. Have fun be safe and be patient:)
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

I am always altitude aware, usually break off ever so slightly higher than probably most people think is necessary or would do so in other groups, and tend to have a higher hard deck than most (1800ft) so i would say i'm pretty cautious.

Not sure what regs are in the UK, but here at my DZ 1800' is a very LOW hard deck.

For me, my minimum deploy altitude when flying camera is 3,000'.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Not sure what regs are in the UK, but here at my DZ 1800' is a very LOW hard deck.

ltdiver

I think he is refering to his Reserve Hard Deck or Decision Altitude..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

ltdiver

I think he is refering to his Reserve Hard Deck or Decision Altitude..

Scott C.

Perhaps so, however 1800' is still low for even that. Certainly not high.

ltdiver

Really, wow, and there was me thinking i was being cautious with a hard deck of 1800ft for reserve deployment:S

Will check the forums for more info on hard decks now and think about raising mine...

Thanks for the input

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Really, wow, and there was me thinking i was being cautious with a hard deck of 1800ft for reserve deployment:S

Will check the forums for more info on hard decks now and think about raising mine...

Thanks for the input

Again, referencing from the USPA SIMS here. 1800' is the minimum altitude a C and D license holder is to make the decision to get rid of a mal and deploy the reserve.

Now, put on top of that a camera....I'd raise that hard deck for sure!

ltdiver

I am pretty much in the same boat as yourself...
Recently a 'C' and strapping a cam on my head.
Before I did I did a considerable amount of research to get the lowdown on risks/precautions/techniques
On advice I did a few solo's first to just get used to it being there and what happens on deployment
Then some low intensity (low way) skydives that I was very comfortable with ...2-3 way sitflys with people I know....
I have just started now to film 4 waywith a junior team.....they are not too bothered if its not 'perfect' everytime, which is nice.......
freeflying is my preferred discipline...so before I started filming RW I elected to do an hour in the Paris tunnel just to 'get current' again on flat flying.....
I have to say I am finding it quite challanging as well as a great opportunity to 'refine' my cam flying skills in a fairly low pressure environment...

When I get Freefly coaching I just waer a normal helmet......too much to worry about without worrying about video...

Best advice I have been given so far is just go out and do comfortable skydives without even thinking about the camera...point of view stuff......just to get happy wearing the camera helmet...get used to getting it 'right' ...later on.

Hope that helps....just a fellow beginners views...!

Shrek offers some sage-like advice...

I solicit his advice often - and he is a valuable resource.

And if you want a safe bet - DON'T jump anywhere he does....
...he'll just steal all your chances to get any camera work!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:ph34r:

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic