MFF29Alpha

deployment techniques

It'll be a little of balance without a still camera on top ,but not real bad .I have an illusion myself for fun jumping with a pc-120 on the side a bit heavyer than your 109 . What canopy are you jumping ?

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

does anyone have any deployment techniques for side mounting? also, any rigging tricks to "snag proof" a camera helmet? i will be jumping a optik illusion w/ l bracket and pc109. thanks

Arch, Look, Reach, Pull??

Don't turn your head sideways or anything if that's what you're getting at.

Find a camera flyer mentor to help you with questions like this and to help you set up your shit. And when I say mentor, I mean a camera flyer, not a skydiver with a camera strapped to his/her head.

Any reason you can't fill in your profile?

Canuck

If you don't know what the reasons are for not jumping camera how can you say you think you can handle them? See here for a start: http://uspa.org/publications/SIM/2004SIM/section6.htm#68

As for the possible problems, I'm off now so don't have time to list them all. I have no buisness attempting to explain them anyway - I'm far too new at this game to be trying to educate others at it.

I'll leave that to the experts on here, but there's a wealth of knowledge in the back pages of this forum if you wanted to seek it out.

does anyone have any deployment techniques for side mounting? also, any rigging tricks to "snag proof" a camera helmet? i will be jumping a optik illusion w/ l bracket and pc109. thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arch, Look, Reach, Pull??

Thats funny, thats what I was going to say, expect without the look, and the arch is optional.

What else is funny is that this guy says that he knows the dangers of video, and can 'handle himself'. Well, for at least a handful (say 10% of jumps) he needed to be handled by a TM, AFF-I, or an eight foot rope.

When your numbers are so low that subtracting your student jumps makes a big difference, you need to slow it down, and re-think your situation.

Just becasue his DZO needs a camera guy, doesn't mean that it's a good idea. I'm sure that everything will be 'fine', but if it's not, it's going to be really, really bad for at least one and maybe up to three people.

Ahhh the invincible 100 jump wonder. No doubt you're the exception to the rule. No doubt you're one of the gifted ones. Afterall, you have your DZO's stamp of approval...

Even DZOs can be stupid fucks with their own agenda.

What's really scary is that if the DZO is encouraging this, it's probably because he/she wants you to video tandems, which is about the last place you should be with your whopping 100 jumps.

O wait, I forgot. I've never met you, so I couldn't possibly know that YOU'RE NOT READY TO FLY VIDEO WITH A 100 JUMPS!!!!

Canuck

Good luck

No, but you sound like an honest fella.

You admitted to having 60-some jumps, and I beleive you.

What I have done is flown camera for thousands of jumps over the past eight years. If I combine that with what I do know about you, I can reach a pretty fair conclusion.

Do you think you're the first guy who wanted to get an early start? The first guy who showed some promise, and a DZO pushed into an open slot in the staff? The first guy who thought they knew it all?

I'm not sure what you think, but what I think is that you're going to do whatever you want to anyway. So why don't you let me poke fun at you and your situation, and you can get busy with you're video career.

Oh, don't forget about the magic camera factor. It seems that when you get a camera on your head, your brain works better, and in addition to flying video, you also turn into an ace canopy pilot. Lets cut that 190 in half, so you can get to work (you can use the other half in a back-up rig).

i just want to know why people are so uptight about someone jumping camera when they dont even know me. i know the dangers, but i dont know why people think newbies cant handle them.

I second everything, everyone else has said. As for "knowing" the dangers, you have no idea of the dangers. Usually everyone thinks they know the dangers until they get in a spot of trouble , then and only then will you truely "know" the dangers. I only hope you live through it and learn.
Kirk

Just so you may kind of understand, I thought I was unique and special. I went too far too fast and got hurt (different thing swooping), but the leson is still the same no one is that "special (if you push above the normal recommendations for advancement ) ",and if they think they are they will find out differently.

everyone thinks they know the dangers until they get in a spot of trouble , then and only then will you truely "know" the dangers.

'They' and 'you' make it seem like it's his and only his problem.

When he's filming a tandem on a Vector tandem, it's a fat guy who he has trouble staying down with, and he gets just a touch high at pull time, and viola, the trapdoor sucks him into the lines.

Now it's everyone's problem (everyone on the jump).

you've never even met me.

Oh, I thought of another one!

Look for a thread called, 'The Best Instructor I Have Ever Seen'. It's about this guy Bram, who has every rating under the sun.

Anyway, I filmed him for a couple seasons, and when I started working with him I had several thousand video jumps to my credit. Over the course of two years, I learned buckets of stuff from him. Stuff that never occured to me before, but there it was.

Buckets of stuff. Do you even have a half-bucket of knowledge? How about a Super Gulp full of knowledge? How much do you think you know? Really?

Edit: Keep in mind that your DZO wants to help you. and I'm sure he will help to the fullest extent of his ability UNTIL you climb out of the plane. From that point on you are on your own, and all the confidence the rest of the world has in you is useless.

What exactly does your dropzone want you to video? Do they want you to start learning to fly video at 100 jumps, or will they have you doing working video at 100 jumps. Either is not great, but the latter is definitely worse.

All the "extremely valid safety concerns" aside, what flying experience do you have (will you have at 100 jumps) that provides the ability to follow anything with the confidence that it can be done and captured to the point of being useful video.

At this level especially, if flying your slot (in the discipline your capturing) is not pretty much second nature how can you be expected to safely provide video that would be worth the money being paid.

Dave Laptka and the others are 100% right - There are other people on the skydive to consider. It'll be your job to get the shot, while not getting in the way, and not creating a hazard for others or yourself (notice the "others" were put before you?)

If you follow experienced people, they should know what they are getting into.

If the intention is to follow tandems, students, or other low experienced jumpers, "everything" changes. Innocent people (who don't know any better) are then on the line.

Again: I am really curious as to "what" exactly your dropzone wants you to video

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

Ok, I will try not to be sarcastic (its hard not to be cause this conversation happens a lot in this forum)..... Here is what we would do at our DZ with your jump numbers and desire to fly camera.

1. You have to prove your RW skills with the guy who runs the video concession (that would be me).

2. You have to show that you can stay calm when the shit hits the fan (and yes it will hit the fan, and no its not that hard to simulate).

3. You have to drill (with me) on your rig and camera emergence procedures, as well as all the other stuff that goes with flying camera.

4. You have to have a camera helmet that you can "cut away" when (and I say when cause its not "if" its "when" ) the shit hits the fan.

5. You have to have the confidence of all the Tandem Masters (and no I don't care what the DZO thinks) that you can not just fly yourself in front of them, but can GET THE F..K OUT OF THE WAY if they are having a problem (from exit to landing).

During all this time you will still be fun jumping without your camera. The first camera jump you would make is on step 6.

6. You have to go up with me (at least five jumps) with the camera on your head (in a 2 way) while I do my best (if its possible) to simulate how a tandem changes fall rate and moves around in the sky (on this jump you have to keep me in frame without running into me).

7. you have to fly "outside video" with ME on at least five tandem videos.

8. You get with ONE tandem master (no not a newbie) that has confidence in you and shoot at least 10 spec videos with him and his student.

After all that.... You will have twenty camera jumps. Now we get to start working on RW video.... I think you kinda get the drift.....

I have had one, and only one person that has been able to do all that shit at the level you would need to shoot paid video at our DZ. He started at 150 jumps. He now has over 500 jumps and shoots great video. He is the extreme exception to the rule. And even he will tell you that he now thinks he started to early.

Here is a good (at least in my mind) comparison.

I "could" land an 89 square foot canopy (my exit weight is around 240) on the DZ and be just fine...What I could not do is land it in a back yard with turbelance...

Its the same way with flying camera. You "could" jump it 1000 times and never have a problem... The real question is, are you willing to bet your life and possibly the life of the tandem master and his student on your being up to the task. They say time (and in this case jump numbers AND time) will fix a lot of things.... Remeber that the person you are shooting is someones child, wife (or husband), brother, mother or father, and that your arrogance could cause that persons death. Its not just about you.... Remember that when you do start (regardless if thats at 100 or 1000 jumps).

One thing to think about is your awarness in the sky. Have you been on a skydive latley that has had video and not remembered something that the video showed happening? Thats something that only you can answerer (no I'm not looking for you to respond to that here as it will just cause a flame fest).

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!