freeasabird

Suggestions for video helmet?

I am posting the attached pic of my video setup to see if anyone might have any suggestions for improvement. My primary subject matter is close proximity freeflying. For now, I have no intentions of mounting a ringsight. With the ultra-wide angle lense I am using (0.29x), I have had no problems keeping my subject(s) centered in the view. The camera I am using is a Sony HC40. I have a new Cameye II - but probably will not mount it since it would require major modifications (cutting) to the dbox. Besides, with careful ground preparation (i.e. checking batteries, tapes, focus settings, etc.) I have yet to miss a jump due to the camera being unknowingly turned off.

Thanks for any input!
-----

I have yet to miss a jump due to the camera being unknowingly turned off.

You will, give it time. I promise you will.

Besides, some minor cut work to mount the CamEyeII is trivial. Just mount the thing and be happy. They're worth 10x's their weight in gold.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Drill the hole and mount it on the side, you won't be sorry! Trust us on this one ! It'll save your ass in the very near future .Every camera man can tell you he has forgot to turn the camera on at least 10 times ... LOL! Well maybe an exaduration ...

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Do whatever cutting drilling and mounting you need to do to make your setup as functional as possible. The Cameye is a very handy thing. Form should take a second to functionality. Remember, it's not a real piece of skydiving equipment until it has a scratch, stain, tear, hole, crack or gaffers tape on it.

Skydive Radio

I have yet to miss a jump due to the camera being unknowingly turned off.

wait till you fly around for traffic, or looking for some holes in the clouds for 12+ min. at 15k
hypoxia is gonna get you someday. a cam-eye is a great tool!
stay safe,
Jimoke
The ground always, remembers where you are!

Thanks all for the advice. Looks like the main consensus from all you experienced camera flyers is to bite the bullet and mount the cameye.

...... Yes..... however you don't HAVE to use the built-in switch of the Cam eye... to turn your camera on and off.... It is still very easy to run the camera FROM the camera, providing you have access to the stand by/ start switch.... In that case you use the indicator lights... simply to assure you,, ( as you're moving to the door,,, or while you are in freefal) that the camera is properly set... The built in switch of the cam eye,, can then be tucked away someplace INSIDE the helmet,,( Be sure to keep the plastic Cap on it , so it doesn't contact, unintentionally ) then you only need to drill a small enough hole to get the pin end of the Cam eye INTO the Lanc port,,, and the "light" end to the front of your helmet ,, or to a ringsite...:)

Get some gaffas tape i think i spelt it wrong..lol Also, after drilling the cam eye it will seal the hole. Worth investing in i believe is 25 dollars from skydance
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?