MWGemini

PC109 vs HC42

I've been doing a lot of research lately, and the camera I thought would best suit my needs is a PC105. I liked the fact that it has a larger lens and does not require a docking station. However, it is proving to be very difficult to find, so I have looked into more recent designs.

I'm currently debating between the PC109 and the HC42, which I can purchase for about the same price (less than $600). I've done a search on here, and there is not much about the HC40, and no local jumpers use one. Several use the 109 and are happy with it, however.

According to Sony's website (and others), the numbers indicate the HC42 is a better camera, larger screen, better zoom, etc. It also has a 5mm smaller lens than the 109, which is smaller than the 105 (and other posts have stated the image quality is noticeably less). So, my concern is that the 25mm lens on the HC42 will provide inadequate image quality, despite all the other numbers saying the HC42 is a better camera than the 109.

Another concern is that with the way the video system at my DZ works, the videographers will just be handing me their camera and taking another one to film the next student. They all have the 109, so we'll just plug each camera into the docking station for editing, and not worry about switching tapes. I'm assuming the docking station for the 109 and the 42 are not compatible. Does anyone know different?

If anyone has used both, I would be interested in seeing a comparison in image quality especially, but also other factors, such as weight, battery life, general durability, overall thoughts on the cameras, etc.

Thanks,

Mike

Edit: I've seen the HC42 for as low as $469 and the PC109 for as low as $563 (both on e-bay, I haven't found it cheaper anywhere else).

What helmet do you eventually plan to use and how do eventually plan to mount it?

If I were you, I wouldn't bother shopping now, I'd want for about another 300 or so jumps and then see what's new to the market.

peace
lew

And btw, I'd go for the PC over the HC model.
http://www.exitshot.com

I haven't really been too concerned with helmets. As you can se from my profile, I'm a long way from strapping a camera to my head (currently 51 jumps). However, I've tried on the Bonehead Optik Illusion and liked it, but I prefer full face designs. I may end up making a custom helmet if I get motivated enough. Long term, I'm thinking that I'll side mount the camera and top mount a still camera, which seems to be the most common setup I've seen, both locally and from pictures posted here. That is a long ways of, though, probably close to two years.

You say you would go for the PC over the HC. What are you basing that decision on (I'm leaning in the same direction, but would like to hear your opinion)?

Thanks,

Mike

Maybe needs is the wrong word to use as I don't NEED a camera right now. I like that the 105 has a larger lens and does not require a docking station. However, to work with the setup we are making for video editing at my DZ, I'll need a 109, or have to change wires each time a different camera is used. I like the 109 because it has a 30mm lens, compared to the 25mm on the HC42, and it is the "standard" at my DZ. I like the HC42 because it is cheaper, lighter, and smaller.

Mike

I've gotta ask this even though I wouldn't want to be asked if I were you: If you don't need one yet why buy one? Things will change significantly in 2 years to the point where for the price you pay for an HC42 you could buy a PC350 and get far more camera for your money.

With that pointed out, if you just want a camera damnit (fair play - nothing wrong with that) go for what suits your needs... just figure out what your needs are first.

If you need to gell with the rest of the video pool then that's a need to be adressed. If it's not so important as to warrant the extra $$ that's a call you can make.

I think you're confusing the 109 with teh 105 when it comes to lens size. The 109 has a 25mm lens - that's not something to distinguish it from the HC42. It's the 105 with the larger 30mm lens.

I've been doing a lot of research lately, and the camera I thought would best suit my needs is a PC105. I liked the fact that it has a larger lens and does not require a docking station. However, it is proving to be very difficult to find

You can still find them on e-bay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20333&item=3880350008&rd=1

One thing to keep in mind is with the 109 you will not be able to view the video on a TV or fire wire video to another camera without the docking station. Which means when an if you put it in a helmet you will have to unmount the camera each time you want to view the footage on anything other the the small screen on the camera
Kirk

Maybe needs is the wrong word to use as I don't NEED a camera right now.

If you don't need the camera now, don't buy it.

The market is always changing, the manufacturers are always releasing new products at ever decreasing costs.

Buy the camera when you need it. You'll get a better deal.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

One thing to keep in mind is with the 109 you will not be able to view the video on a TV

Not true
The camera does have a AV jack ....output to a TV is not an issue..

Just in case anyone is not sure I will spell out what EXACTLY is on the camera and what is on the docking station.....as there always seems a little confusion over this issue
This is for a PC109E (PAL version ) but as far as I know its exactly the same for the PC109 (NTSC version).

ON THE CAMERA
LANC
MIC
A/V
DC-IN (power in)

ON THE DOCKING STATION
USB
DV/FIREWIRE ( In and Out)- One port
S-Video
A/V
DC-IN

For me and you it comes down to needing the docking station to transfer footage......compared to say a cam with all the ports 'on it'

If you don't need the camera now, don't buy it.

This is very very sound advice......you'll beat yourself up buying todays technology that you wont use until next year......really you will

you will not be able to view the video on a TV or fire wire video to another camera without the docking station.

Not quite accurate. My PC109 has an A/V jack for connecting to a TV. You are correct in stating that the firewire and USB ports are in the base. It also has a LANC connection for the cameye.

One trivial thing I like about the PC109 is it acts as a $600 web cam as well! :P I actually use it occassionally on Yahoo Messenger. Works well!

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

you will not be able to view the video on a TV or fire wire video to another camera without the docking station.

Not quite accurate. My PC109 has an A/V jack for connecting to a TV. You are correct in stating that the firewire and USB ports are in the base. It also has a LANC connection for the cameye.

One trivial thing I like about the PC109 is it acts as a $600 web cam as well! :P I actually use it occassionally on Yahoo Messenger. Works well!

Jeff

As Zoter already pointed out