mr2mk1g

300D vs. D60

I'm looking at both the canon 300D and D60. I can get them both at pretty much the same price... they seem to be near as damn it identical. I know both sets of specs inside out so I'm just looking for opinions on which you would get.

So would you go with the newer 300D, its lighter plastic shell, EF-S lens and quicker focus or would you go for the D60, with it's tougher but heavier build, faster fps and slower focus? Any other hidden quirks that would sell you on one or the other?

Initially this would be used on the ground to learn all about SLR's as this would be my first, but would eventually get bolted up top of my noggin some time towards the end of the season.

For the same price as a New 300d you can pick up a used 10D. The 10D is much better then the D60.

Seriously unless you are looking at the 10-22mm EFS lens, there are only I think 3-4 lens out for the EFS mount right now. The EFS are digital only lenses and you can't put them on future full frame digital cameras. The EF mount is by far the most popular and will be for a long long time.

The 10 pics up the faster focus, better FPS, larger burst and the beefy case.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Make sure to also check out the 350D. More advanced than the 300D, and lighter than both the 10D and your D60. I believe it's still cheaper, too.

The D60 is quite old. Newer, lighter, and cheaper models exist.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The D60 is quite old.

It's less than 2 years from being the front line model. It has superios performance that either version of the digital rebel, and it is a very relyable unit.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I can find either the D60 or 300D for about £350... the 10D is roughly twice the price. The 20D is more again, and the 350D is going to be arround £800 for the kit.

Personally I'd rather save the £400 given that the 350D doesn't even exceed the D60's fps.

The problem I have is I'm comparing prosumer tech from a couple of years ago to consumer tech of today. They both have their advantages. The other models price themselves out of my consideration.

I believe you; I’ve been watching them go. Just try getting an e-bay seller to ship a high value item outside of the US or to an address other than the one on your paypal/ebay account.

US second hand camera prices are somewhere around £100-200 lower than the UK... I just generally get a polite "piss off" when I ask about shipping. Even if I find a cheap auction that will ship overseas (which I’m sure will come up at some point) there’s always the specter of customs who might take a fancy to it and whack 23.5% on top – then it would cost the same as a domestic camera.

The prices I’m working with really have to be UK market. Plus the sources I’ve listed will give me a 12months warrantee in the price.

I have both.

I bought the 300D (retail) first, and the d60 later for about U$700. If you have the wide ass canon lenses digitals need, buy the D60. It shoots faster, skydiving doesnt require autofocus, and its built like a tank. Make sure you mount it well, 'cos it is heavier. I struggle to fine a 10d feature that really matters for jumpin over the d60..

Personally, I'll be shifting my 300d to a new owner and picking up a 350 to be my 2nd camera.

Don't be too scared of the weight thing - on a good helmet it won't be an issue. I'm a pencil neck geek, but regularly jump the 300 & the 60 as well as a sony 101 all at once.

Chers,

C.

Brother Wayward's rule of the day...
"Never ever ever go skydiving without going parachuting immediately afterwards."
100% PURE ADRENALENS

Don't be too scared of the weight thing - on a good helmet it won't be an issue. I'm a pencil neck geek, but regularly jump the 300 & the 60 as well as a sony 101 all at once.

you failed to obseve that you jump a crossfire and he jumps a zp exe. weight matters on a zp exe not really on a xfire.

i guess he'll be wanting to downsize soon though eh?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

you failed to obseve that you jump a crossfire and he jumps a zp exe. weight matters on a zp exe not really on a xfire.

Actually my profile only lists one of my rigs.
The Crossfire is certainly my canopy 'o chice, but I've also carried it under everything from a VX-88 to a Manta 260, with a whole gamut in between (ever enjoyed a Lightning opening? BANG!)
If you have a well setup, good quality helmet you can jump almost anything, regarless as the weight on your head.

Brother Wayward's rule of the day...
"Never ever ever go skydiving without going parachuting immediately afterwards."
100% PURE ADRENALENS

The exe slams me and I hate it. A pilot's already on it's way to me.

I demo'd a Pilot and loved it....all except for the openings. They were great for 'regular' skydives...however a bit too brisk for my liking while flying camera.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Go jump a Lightning with a camera and you'll love everything else after it. ;)

Oh, I loved the Pilot's landings, just not the openings. Sorry, upon re-reading my post I didn't clarify this. The openings are great for regular skydives....just a bit to brisk on opening for my likes. :^)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Cheers all - just grabbed myself a fantastic deal on a 300D for less than any other camera I could find. ££ made my mind up for me at the end of the day rather than one being clearly better than the other.

ps. I found the openings on pilots wonderful. Might just be one of those YMMV things but I'm sure I'll be happy with it - especially after my brace-for-impact days on the exe.