adrenalinejunki

1st camera jump experience

A few weeks ago I made my first camera jump. While getting the camera ready and trying to get my gear together I somehow forgot my altimeter. I did have a dytter but what if I had forgot something more important? After listening to everyone telling me NOT to jump a camera with only 140 jumps I did anyways. Sometimes it takes a lil experience like this one to make me see the light. It will be awile before I make anymore jumps with my camera. The only way I will is on low pressure jumps where I have plenty of time to get all my gear together and only a couple freinds IF I even will then.
I just wanted to share this with everyone out there who are at about the same level of experience that I am and thinking about spending tons of money to get a camera set up. It's not the danger of snags and things as much as it is the danger of the distraction.
I only have 1 camera jump now and it looks like that will be the only one for awile. I do still plan on jumping it every once in a while though. But I should'nt......[:/]

I somehow forgot my altimeter. I did have a dytter

i've done that on some tandem video's that i was rushed on and thought i had all my gear with me..... i normally put my gogle s aroun dmy neck so i don't forget them or get them scratched... made a couple tandem video's withought them either.... not necisarily fun but i stil could see fine because of how i fly in mycmera suit....

good reason to get a flightline check before you board the aircraft?

I've managed to forget my alti on two jumps that I can recall (both camera jumps) - despite getting a filghtline check. A good lesson for people jumping in the UK where a flightline check is required - don't rely on it.

Ivan

I have had to give my altimeter to forgetfull tandem masters more times than I can count!!

amen to THAT!!! ...... and gloves...... I draw the line at handing over my goggles though........and oh yea....breath mints, some of those TI's have serious dental hygene issues:P

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

adrenalinejunki---> i did my first camera jump with my Sony TRV418: own designed belly mount on my 14th (FOURTEENTH) jump and on a protec (i rigged it my self and made my rignsight on my own) on my 15th (FIFTEENTH) jump. now, i have 116 total. i admit the first time i used it, my neck hurt a little bit. but used to it now...

you might be wondering... im from philippines... no license here, though there are very very very few locals who are holder of USPA License who are in the northern part of our country. they are rich guys so they can afford getting USPA Lic and buying good gears.

regarding altimeter, the first time i used altimeter was on my 14th jump which was also the first time i used videocam on belly... not good coverage... very limitted. ... sometimes, when jumping at 5,000 ft, i don't use altimeter... mental counting works for me... maximum of fast 20 second count.. and deploy.

yes, you can do whatever you want here (regarding skydiving). we don't look for lic before one can jump. or no altimeter or aad's. one may even jump with condemned parachutes or paracommanders and other round mains... we only forbid barefoot and naked skydiving.

but if i was there.. i'd follow rules and regulations in your country.

RINGSIGHTS everyone!

Yep, my first camara jump was last weekend. After all these years, I was walking out to the plane with my shining new FF2 helmet, Cam eye, camcorder, rig, but without my altimeter and googles...humm. I figured it out before I loaded up.

On that jump I got some great pictures of the ground, the sky, ground, sky, etc. No people in the frame.

My Newton eyesight is now on order, and a thorough checklist will now be place before getting on that plane.

My Newton eyesight is now on order, and a thorough checklist will now be place before getting on that plane.

Writing checklists is a good thing. Doing so helps you figure out a logical sequence of procedures to follow. For instance, I keep my goggles, altimeter and gloves inside my helmet and attached to the chin strap. I -do not- touch the helmet until the -rig- is on. Do this 2000 times and you'll rarely forget your goggles. ;^)

This is not to say that occasionally your procedures won't go out of sequence (maybe you're doing back to back loads), but it will feel -so- odd when you do that, you'll hopefully be somewhat mentally bugged into checking everything over and over to get them back into sequence.

I am a huge fan of routine. If you do something pretty much the same way everytime you do it, anything out of the ordinary becomes far more obvious. Just make sure you're actually following the checklists in your head and -actually- seeing what is there as opposed to just mentally clicking things off and just seeing what you -wish- was there.

This is the downside of routine.

"You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear." -- The Rockman
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It's not the danger of snags and things as much as it is the danger of the distraction.[:/]

Tell that to the dead.
Skydiving is dangerous. Adding ANY complications makes it more dangerous.

Thanks for posting
Better you than me

I have had to give my altimeter to forgetfull tandem masters more times than I can count!!_______________________________________________

Same with goggles :(

I have had to give my altimeter to forgetfull tandem masters more times than I can count!!

Same with goggles :(

The tandemmaster can have my altimeter a couple of times, but he better bring his own goggles!
I've seen a few tandemmasters without goggles this year (they asked me very nicely and I said no very nicelyB|), they found it unpleasant but not bad enough to be a big risk for safety.

I'm the one that is supposed to stay clear of the tandem, so I'm the one wearing glasses (MY glasses)
"Don't make me come down there" - God.

My site:http://www.skystudio.nl/video.html
Some of my vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/TomSkyStudio